Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2013, 22:41   #1
Senior Member+

3D movies

Went to cinema last night and watched my first modern 3D movie ( world war z ), and while I thought it was a decent film and enjoyed the 3D experience, I thought the picture quality compared to a none 3D movie was disappointing. The fast moving parts of the film was blurry.
I know that because I`ve done quite a bit of movie encoding in the past, that I tend to notice things that most people don`t, but even mrs24 commented after that she had noticed it.
Has anyone here watched a modern 3D movie? Was it blurry in fast moving scenes?

For the more technically minded, when I say blurry, I really mean interlaced.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2013, 01:45   #2

Re: 3D movies

I haven't watched many modern 3d movies, but I gather it's done through interlacing - which instantly halves the vertical resolution, so it's going to look less detailed than your typical digital projection (the human eye "notices" loss in vertical resolution before horizontal).

If the projector lens hasn't been set up properly - you'll see interlace blurring because the polarised lenses in the specs are allowing some of the light from both phases of the projection through to both eyes...
gpick24 likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:39   #3
Resting in Peace

I have a 3D TV but its over rated really ain't watched 3D for ages mainly because you need the glasses, although its quite good, football 3D is a bit no plus really only the crown stand out
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 11:04   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I haven't watched many modern 3d movies, but I gather it's done through interlacing - which instantly halves the vertical resolution, so it's going to look less detailed than your typical digital projection (the human eye "notices" loss in vertical resolution before horizontal).

If the projector lens hasn't been set up properly - you'll see interlace blurring because the polarised lenses in the specs are allowing some of the light from both phases of the projection through to both eyes...
Good info Studio25, thanks.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:08   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have a 3D TV but its over rated really ain't watched 3D for ages mainly because you need the glasses, although its quite good, football 3D is a bit no plus really only the crown stand out
Don`t need a new TV yet, but when I do, will probably get 3D, hopefully by then you won`t need the 3D glasses.
Have Accy Stanley been broadcast in 3D.
Old 30-06-2013, 17:43   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Don`t need a new TV yet, but when I do, will probably get 3D, hopefully by then you won`t need the 3D glasses.
Have Accy Stanley been broadcast in 3D.
Don't bother until they come Specs free, you soon get bored wearing them, and can't remember Stanley being on in 3D
Old 30-06-2013, 17:51   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't bother until they come Specs free, you soon get bored wearing them, and can't remember Stanley being on in 3D
It was a joke at your typo Jaysay, the crown stand out.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:00   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It was a joke at your typo Jaysay, the crown stand out.
Ah I see
Old 30-06-2013, 18:46   #9
Senior Member+

Won`t be getting one till we need a new TV, the ones we have aren`t that old, so hopefully by the time one has packed in, they will be specs free.
The technology is already there, there is a hand held gaming device that is 3D without glasses, just not been brought to TVs yet.
Here`s some info I found on it -
"Glasses-free, or autostereoscopic, 3D TVs have been released before, and now offered by Toshiba, but the technology is not ready for the mainstream. It's currently quite expensive, of limited screen size and requires viewers to sit in very specific places relative to the screen. Given these constraints, we expect it to be a few years at least before autostereoscopic TVs are widely available in any quantity. Of course, we could be wrong."
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Won`t be getting one till we need a new TV, the ones we have aren`t that old, so hopefully by the time one has packed in, they will be specs free.
The technology is already there, there is a hand held gaming device that is 3D without glasses, just not been brought to TVs yet.
Here`s some info I found on it -
"Glasses-free, or autostereoscopic, 3D TVs have been released before, and now offered by Toshiba, but the technology is not ready for the mainstream. It's currently quite expensive, of limited screen size and requires viewers to sit in very specific places relative to the screen. Given these constraints, we expect it to be a few years at least before autostereoscopic TVs are widely available in any quantity. Of course, we could be wrong."
think its Toshiba that are marketing smart TVs in line with smart phones and Ipads, with media gadgets being refined its hard to say just when to buy new gear or wait for better models to evolve, I know this weekend, when there was an add for these Smart TVs, I got the evil eye from her who shall be obeyed
Old 01-07-2013, 15:14   #11
God Member

Quote:
Went to cinema last night and watched my first modern 3D movie ( world war z ), and while I thought it was a decent film and enjoyed the 3D experience, I thought the picture quality compared to a none 3D movie was disappointing. The fast moving parts of the film was blurry.

progetionist was probbably drunk iv never had issues with 3d movies at the cinema but im slective about what i pay to see it has to vbe good for me to tolerate the public while watchinga movie

depends also what method of 3d they use theres a cheap nasty rushed method which is used more frequently then theres the true 3d recording method that was used in avatar

true 3d recording is more expensive and time consuming so if a movie company thinks they can get away with it or teh movie isnt expected to be a huge blockbuster it gets teh cheap and nasty 3d process

got a 3d tv and some movies 3d are done better than others

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-07-2013 at 15:16.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 15:18   #12
God Member

theres an app that i forget the name of right now that plays files from your computer to your tv that has an end result of producing a SBS 3d effect on a standard TV when playing 3d movie files

apparantly it works pretty well i just havnt the need for it so havnt tested it out

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 01-07-2013, 17:32   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
progetionist was probbably drunk iv never had issues with 3d movies at the cinema but im slective about what i pay to see it has to vbe good for me to tolerate the public while watchinga movie

depends also what method of 3d they use theres a cheap nasty rushed method which is used more frequently then theres the true 3d recording method that was used in avatar

true 3d recording is more expensive and time consuming so if a movie company thinks they can get away with it or teh movie isnt expected to be a huge blockbuster it gets teh cheap and nasty 3d process

got a 3d tv and some movies 3d are done better than others
Avatar was a great movie to watch on home 3D by far the best I've seen
Old 01-07-2013, 17:37   #14
Senior Member+

The only program I can find converts SBS to anaglyph, meaning you have to wear the glasses with different coloured lenses so unless there is something better ( and after reading this weekend how 3dtv`s work I doubt it but would love to be proved wrong ) I won`t bother.
Old 01-07-2013, 20:00   #15
God Member

nope this program lets you use the same glasses you use at teh cinema not teh red and blue crap

i used to have it an all on my hard drive in mi downloads i wa sthinking of putting it on mi lads laptop so he could watch 3d movies on it
gpick24 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..