Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD/TV/Film Discussion (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/)
-   -   Trouble on t' Estate (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/trouble-on-t-estate-62367.html)

Tealeaf 10-09-2012 07:09

Trouble on t' Estate

Tune in tomorrow night, BBC1, 9PM to see fun on the Shadsworth Estate:

BBC One - Panorama, Trouble on the Estate

My guess is that some of you will see some relatives and friends, especially you lot from Ossy - after all, Shadsworth is just up the road.

garinda 10-09-2012 08:00

Re: Trouble on t' Estate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 1014626)
Tune in tomorrow night, BBC1, 9PM to see fun on the Shadsworth Estate:

BBC One - Panorama, Trouble on the Estate

My guess is that some of you will see some relatives and friends, especially you lot from Ossy - after all, Shadsworth is just up the road.

The snootiest place I've ever been to in the world, wasn't the Carlton Club, the Hotel George V in Paris, or even Henley Regatta.

It was the private tennis club we used to be members of in the seventies, and eighties, which was up Shad.

;)

churchfcrules 10-09-2012 08:05

And one of the roughest pubs, rovers returns

jaysay 10-09-2012 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1014628)
And one of the roughest pubs, rovers returns

Not forgetting Sett End too, which was also a bit tasty:rolleyes:

garinda 10-09-2012 08:30

I organised the Art Ball in Shadsworth, in 1982, at the Red Parrot.

Cracking night.

I was dressed as a Peruvian lama herder, with boot polish glasses painted on my face.

The locals were very welcoming.

A little scared, but welcoming.

garinda 10-09-2012 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1014631)
Not forgetting Sett End too, which was also a bit tasty:rolleyes:

Is that where they had saucy ladies in the seventies, baring all?

With small boys with their eyes pressed up against the cracks?

No matter how hard you looked, when you were leaving the swimming pool, it was very hard to find a suitable crack to peer through, in the paper overed windows.

:D

jaysay 10-09-2012 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1014639)
Is that where they had saucy ladies in the seventies, baring all?

With small boys with their eyes pressed up against the cracks?

No matter how hard you looked, when you were leaving the swimming pool, it was very hard to find a suitable crack to peer through, in the paper overed windows.

:D

I do believe it was Rindi, although I never checked the place out on these nights being a good catholic boy, although I did frequent the place most lunchtimes for a pie and a pint when working across the road on the new flats:rolleyes:

flashy 10-09-2012 10:09

Shad is just up the road from me, not a nice place BUT believe it or not there are worse places in Blackburn...Mill Hill is worse as is Highercroft, they are pure animals in those areas, the roughest of the rough

churchfcrules 10-09-2012 10:17

Sunday afternoons, mid eighties, mate had a flat on "deck access" that's what I knew the flats as, dunno what their proper name was,

Into sett end for Sunday dinner, and if you hadn't finished by time strippers where on, you could take your plate through to red parrot lol

garinda 10-09-2012 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1014670)
you could take your plate through to red parrot

I feel I need to apologise.

I didn't realise you'd had it in that long.

Sorry.

Must be a nightmare at airports nowadays, with all the metal detectors, because of increased security meaures.

:o

jaysay 10-09-2012 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1014670)
Sunday afternoons, mid eighties, mate had a flat on "deck access" that's what I knew the flats as, dunno what their proper name was,

Into sett end for Sunday dinner, and if you hadn't finished by time strippers where on, you could take your plate through to red parrot lol

That was their name CFCR, built in the late 60s by John Laing, I actually think most of them have been knocked down now, they were a swedish design called Jesperson Construction, might have been okay for sweden but were a waste of time here, went back some years later, i've never seen so much damp and mould in such new properties

churchfcrules 10-09-2012 18:00

i seem to remember someday saying they had "concrete cancer", thats why they knocked em down, could be wrong

jaysay 10-09-2012 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1014744)
i seem to remember someday saying they had "concrete cancer", that's why they knocked em down, could be wrong

Think one of the main reasons was that nobody would take up tenancy, at one time I heard that they were letting them out to students, but if they were said to be causing cancer, it might have been the last nail in the coffin

susie123 10-09-2012 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1014745)
Think one of the main reasons was that nobody would take up tenancy, at one time I heard that they were letting them out to students, but if they were said to be causing cancer, it might have been the last nail in the coffin

No, nothing to do with the human disease, it's deteriora
tion of concrete caused by various factors.

Concrete cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jaysay 10-09-2012 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1014750)
No, nothing to do with the human disease, it's deteriora
tion of concrete caused by various factors.

Concrete cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now there's a thing can't say I've heard of that before susie, very interesting, funny it should happen in Blackburn yet I know that there are these type of flats still in use elsewhere in the country