Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD/TV/Film Discussion (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/)
-   -   TV/Film complaint (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/tv-film-complaint-70769.html)

Frank T 12-10-2019 17:24

TV/Film complaint

Am I the only person to get really, really, really annoyed by TV programmes and films being ruined (for me) by background music drowning out speech.

Less 14-10-2019 10:58

Re: TV/Film complaint

No you aren't, a plinky plonking piano building to a crescendo of irrelevent noise often ruins the enjoyment of whatever the subject may be.

Plus, as my hearing worsens with age I tend to up the volume in a vain attempt to hear what the hell is being said, then we go to the adverts which because I have increased the sound are suddenly shouting at me with a force of decibels that would make a smoke alarm sound like a whisper!

A mad panic ensues to find the remote and mute the thing before it knocks the pictures off my wall.

Margaret Pilkington 14-10-2019 11:37

put the subtitles on...that way you miss none of the dialogue and only a fraction of the picture.

(though I hate the sub titles being on and will not watch TV if they ARE on...I go off and do something different)

Less 14-10-2019 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1232666)
put the subtitles on...that way you miss none of the dialogue and only a fraction of the picture.

(though I hate the sub titles being on and will not watch TV if they ARE on...I go off and do something different)

Don't want subtitles they are a distraction though not as bad as that woman that comes on in some programmes waving her arms & pulling funny faces whilst blocking half the picture.

Margaret Pilkington 14-10-2019 13:13

Yes I agree Less.
My other half knew nothing about subtitles until daughter showed him them....for weeks he had the things on....even though he is only selectively deaf.

And yes, the signing is a pain too....won't watch anything with either subtitles or sign language

MITZY 21-12-2019 11:10

I use subtitles if watching something at night and hubby is sleeping, but I cannot stand signing and will miss the programme rather than put up with signing.

monkey hanger 24-12-2019 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank T (Post 1232635)
Am I the only person to get really, really, really annoyed by TV programmes and films being ruined (for me) by background music drowning out speech.

it annoys me as well, but it would help if actors did not mumble as much nowadays. sick of having to put the sound up and down because of the mumbling then pointlrss background music.

monkey hanger 24-12-2019 09:21

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1232666]put the subtitles on...that way you miss none of the dialogue and only a fraction of the picture.

problem for me is that i,m too busy reading the sub titles to see the action. reason i swerve those foreign stuff thats on regularly at night.

Margaret Pilkington 24-12-2019 09:49

I have to admit that I also hate sub titles.
I find they are a real distraction....so I don't watch stuff with subtitles.

cashman 28-12-2019 12:53

no mate yeh aint the only person to get annoyed with the rubbish that stops yeh hearing whats being said, they give NO thought at all to people that are hard of hearing,miissus goes to bed before me, a very light sleeper so i cant have sound up loud,

ferret man 28-12-2019 18:51

Go to your Doc tell him your ears aint working so good, Doc sends you to speck savers do a poor hearing test get a pair of hearing aids prob solved, t v sound down hearing aids up.

Ryewolf90 28-12-2019 23:10

I must admit I watch a lot of foreign films and use the subtitles I think after a while you get used to reading them and watching the film....

RainbowSix 29-12-2019 09:48

The sound level changes is one of the reasons that we generally always record what we want to watch, then when we watch it later I skip through the adverts so we don't have to put up with the difference.

Some programs are so quiet (even with both my hearing aids) that we have to turn the TV up full.
I'm considering getting a bluetooth transmitter for it and Ill sit there with my bluetooth headphones on, I can also ignore everyone else then :)

Margaret Pilkington 29-12-2019 10:10

My hearing is quite acute for an old bird(himself says I can hear a cockroach trump) so the disparity in sound levels between films and adverts is very annoying.
It seems to be more noticeable on the channel that shows all the old black and white films(or maybe it is because that is the channel that is most used in our house...not MY choice).

monkey hanger 01-01-2020 08:34

[QUOTE=Less;1232668 though not as bad as that woman that comes on in some programmes waving her arms & pulling funny faces whilst blocking half the picture.[/QUOTE]

please do not knock diane abbott now the election in over.