Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36   #31
God Member

re: Allegations about Jimmy Saville: covered up?

The idea that any secrets/revelations should not be revealed after death is not practiced by governments (unless it is in the national interest)

That is why The Public Records Office operates the policy that some facts are not revealed until after the affected parties have died.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2012, 10:45   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The idea that any secrets/revelations should not be revealed after death is not practiced by governments (unless it is in the national interest)

That is why The Public Records Office operates the policy that some facts are not revealed until after the affected parties have died.
Totally agree Margaret
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Totally agree Margaret
So - you agree that his death is NOT a reason to censor?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
What I find even more strange is some people can use "swear words" on a family web site while others can't
I have never sworn on this forum - not proper swearing like the F or C words!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
So what is this big thing about not telling the truth after someones death? I think it's rooted in Christianity isn't it?
Old 08-04-2012, 18:13   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
So what is this big thing about not telling the truth after someones death? I think it's rooted in Christianity isn't it?
No its called doing the decent thing, if you can't say something about a person when they are still alive to defend it keep your gob shut
Old 08-04-2012, 18:14   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have never sworn on this forum - not proper swearing like the F or C words!
Wasn't saying that, but it seems there's one rule for one and not the others, if you used the F and C word you'd be banned anyway
Old 08-04-2012, 18:19   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No I read the post wrong, to my mind let the dead sleep, no point in draging things up when the person isn't there to defend it
Old 08-04-2012, 18:55   #39

Quote:
and of course he's no longer with us either to defend himself
I completely agree.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 20:29   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Wasn't saying that, but it seems there's one rule for one and not the others, if you used the F and C word you'd be banned anyway
Can you be more specific? Where have you seen this hypocricy in the application of rules?
Old 08-04-2012, 20:32   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
No its called doing the decent thing, if you can't say something about a person when they are still alive to defend it keep your gob shut
The photo speaks for it's self - why is Jimmy Saville posing with a psycho after only 10 years of a sentence for killing 13 innocent women! Perhaps it betrays something about Jimmy Savilles attitude?

I think your hypocrtical - aren't you a hardliner for punishing murderers? Is 10 years too short a time for someone like Sutcliffe to be forgiven? Of course it us!!!

Also I never saw this photo at the time, so why should I ignore it?
Old 08-04-2012, 21:33   #42
Senior Member+

It seems some people only want to put accusations under the microscope, brushing aside all the good he did throughout his life.
Jim worked as a hospital porter, for free, not using the occasion to bolster his public profile. He ran large numbers of marathons for charities. All his lifetime of service to others has been diminished by unfounded rubbish.

"Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at him." (changed the gender on the quote)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can you be more specific? Where have you seen this hypocricy in the application of rules?
If you think I'm trawling through the rubbish you post on here you've another think coming, but you used what is seemed to be a swear word and no action was taken, it know appears it was an oversite, oh and you weren't the only one
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
It seems some people only want to put accusations under the microscope, brushing aside all the good he did throughout his life.
Jim worked as a hospital porter, for free, not using the occasion to bolster his public profile. He ran large numbers of marathons for charities. All his lifetime of service to others has been diminished by unfounded rubbish.

"Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at him." (changed the gender on the quote)
Your wasting your time Dave as the good book says "and some fell on stony ground"
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18   #45
God Member

If the policy 'don't speak ill of the dead' was universally applied, subsequent generations would never be told of the deeds of Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini.

Incidentally, my italian ex mother in law was eternally grateful to Mussolini because he financed surgery for her as a child - not a relative - just human compassion.

No one is 100% good - knowing their failings as well as their good deeds provides a balanced view of a personality.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..