Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2012, 23:18   #1

Betting advertising

Anyone else a bit uneasy about the current spate of advertising for bookmakers and gambling on the TV? I know it's mostly to do with the football but there are loads of bingo adverts as well

It can be a serious addiction and they seem to be ramming it down people's throats at the moment. I know that they only changed the rules a few years back so that they could advertise on TV but I think they should look again and ban the adverts.

I know the same could be same with booze but the difference to me is gambling is easier than drinking what with phone/internet betting whereas if I wanted to drink I would have to walk to a shop/pub and it would sold to me by a 'reponsible' shopkeeper/barman (Ok, responsible is another debate, but I think you know what I mean).

All these adverts seem to be normalising an activity which can bring misery to people's lives. I know this sounds a bit serious and is nothing about any religious beliefs or personal experiences, it just makes me feel uneasy.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2012, 23:21   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Betting advertising

Agree its making it very easy fer young uns to get sucked into Gambling. Seems ironic to me,Fags are now hidden behind closed shutters/doors, Yet Gambling can also be really harmful.

Last edited by cashman; 19-06-2012 at 23:27.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 03:21   #3
God Member

if betting was banned accy center would loose a 3rd of its shops

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 04:31   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if betting was banned accy center would loose a 3rd of its shops
I will bet you it would not
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 07:36   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Aint about banning it, More about taking it outa yer face on T.V. etc imho.
Old 20-06-2012, 07:42   #6
God Member

I was a bingo addict at one time.
When I see the bingo ads I cringe to think that I was classified with the low life thickos that their ads depict and aim at.
So, the ads are 'aversion therapy' for me

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 08:42   #7
Resting in Peace

Well I'd willingly strangely that screaming Italian advertising Ladbrokes before footy matches, he's been getting on my nerves for months
Old 20-06-2012, 09:37   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I'd willingly strangely that screaming Italian advertising Ladbrokes before footy matches, he's been getting on my nerves for months
Yeh want strangling. Is that a strange observation?
Old 20-06-2012, 09:43   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh want strangling. Is that a strange observation?
okay so I got the e and l the wrongway round

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..