Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 00:44   #1
Senior Member+

Exclamation Born to Kill; Harold Shipman.

Just watching this series "Born to Kill" about Harold Shipman.

His mother was over bearing controlling and controlled his social life, stopping him from being friends with people she didn't think were good enough, hence he grew up being aloof etc - she died of cancer when he was 17 and the night, after she died he went out jogging all night. He often sat with her and watched as the GP administered Morphine in a syringe. One expert claims that is when he got the idea to start killing folk and it was only after his mother died did he tell friends he was going to be a Doctor even though he didn't have the right qualifications, but he worked to get them.

It's obvious that the relationship with his mother did have some bearing on what he did - in the time honoured way laid out by psychologist Freud, and illustrated in the film Psycho, in which the main character lives out his mothers commands long after she is dead. Though these days the trend is to blame "genetics!"

Last edited by kestrelx; 09-08-2012 at 00:47.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2012, 17:29   #2

Re: Born to Kill; Harold Shipman.

I watched this programme last week and found it fascinating. I personally don't think people are born to kill. I do think though that there may be a predisposition in some people for risk taking behaviour and given a certain set of circumstances throughout childhood the person may become a killer as a result of twisted thought processes.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I watched this programme last week and found it fascinating. I personally don't think people are born to kill. I do think though that there may be a predisposition in some people for risk taking behaviour and given a certain set of circumstances throughout childhood the person may become a killer as a result of twisted thought processes.
If you read background of these sort of people they always had some very traumatic relationship with one or both parents. Now his mother died when he was 17 and she was a very controlling individual? How did he cope with her dying and who helped him come to terms with it? If she was as controlling as the program made out, perhaps no one helped him and that trauma could be what damaged his thought processes to lead him to do what he did. Also he may not have thought he was murdering people because he wasn't physically attacking them, but using a syringe which perhaps made him think his actions were more acceptable in his warped mind.

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-08-2012 at 08:50.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

None of that cuts it wi me!!People may dig up reasons why etc, A nutter is a nutter, n all except n imbecile know its wrong to kill.
Old 10-08-2012, 17:22   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
None of that cuts it wi me!!People may dig up reasons why etc, A nutter is a nutter, n all except n imbecile know its wrong to kill.
Ya cashy they all attend "sob stories are us" then expect people to think they were hard done to when they were young,
Old 11-08-2012, 17:33   #6

I find it fascinating looking at what makes people do such things.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:43   #7
Beacon of light

Since the man is dead we will never really be sure.....we can second guess all we like. Maybe he just liked having the power to decide who lived and who didn't....maybe he gained some kind of perverted pleasure in playing God in their lives
I never trust these so called 'experts'.......X marks the spot and a spurt is just a drip under pressure
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:55   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya cashy they all attend "sob stories are us" then expect people to think they were hard done to when they were young,
Shipman never said anything about why he did it - never even owned up to anything, murder or otherwise, no sob story. It's just worked out by the psychiatrists.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Shipman never said anything about why he did it - never even owned up to anything, murder or otherwise, no sob story. It's just worked out by the psychiatrists.
Ya so because a trickcyclist says so its gospel then
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ya so because a trickcyclist says so its gospel then
Common sense, pal - common sense!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Common sense, pal - common sense!
Something you haven't got and proved it in spades
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Something you haven't got and proved it in spades
You have to get personal because you don't have anything of any worth to say on the subject - apart from "All killers are evil and should be strung up!" I got more suss than you'll ever have! Your views are straight out the Tory hand book of bog standard comments.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whilst i never have/never will be a Tory, where does mine come from?
Old 12-08-2012, 17:40   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You have to get personal because you don't have anything of any worth to say on the subject - apart from "All killers are evil and should be strung up!" I got more suss than you'll ever have! Your views are straight out the Tory hand book of bog standard comments.
Pray tell me where to get one of them, was amember for 40 years never saw one, and as for being suss we already know you are sport
Old 12-08-2012, 20:40   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Pray tell me where to get one of them, was amember for 40 years never saw one, and as for being suss we already know you are sport
You idiot! It always ends up with going off topic with you and talking bull - and making personal attacks! Perhaps that's why a lot of people dissapear and don't bother posting again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..