Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 13:38   #1
God Member

Downton Abbey

It seems the second series is on this autumn over in the UK (has it already started?) How I envy you all, I will have to wait till the DVD box-set comes out (maybe for Xmas). This morning on SKY news they interviewed Jessica Brown Findlay, the actress who plays Lady Sybille (the youngest daughter who is the sufragette). She has an interesting film called "The Albatross" coming out soon.
In the meantime I have dusted off the original series and am treating myself to it, an episode at a time, while I do the ironing. It's beautifully made in every aspect; costume, scenery, music and storyline. I think it's the best costume drama since the The Firth/Ehle "Pride and Predjudice"!
All the characters are wonderfully portrayed and their individual stories are easily translated into modern times even though they are set 100 years ago. I find myself particularly in sympathy with the Head House-maid, Anna -some paralells here with my modern day role perhaps!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2011, 14:08   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Downton Abbey

They are interviewing The Countess of Carnarvon shortly on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2. She owns Downton Abbey.

Don't know whether you can get Radio 2 ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 16:07   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
They are interviewing The Countess of Carnarvon shortly on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2. She owns Downton Abbey.

Thanks -will see what I can get over the internet -should be interesting, beautiful house...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2011, 16:45   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

It's not real.

She owns Highclere Castle.

Was disappoinred last week. Probably because the war's now started.

Got back into it, and am enjoying it now.

Fantastic cast, and production, and although Julian Fellowes is a bit of a twit, he does write a well crafted yarn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 16:52   #5
Give, give, give member

I loved the original seventies series Upstairs and Downstairs, but Downton Abbey knocked last year's revival of Upstairs by the Beeb into a cocked hat.

Odd really. It's usually the B.B.C. who do these Sunday period dramas to perfection. But it was I.T.V. and Downton who pulled it off so spectacularly.

Old 03-10-2011, 18:59   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I loved the original seventies series Upstairs and Downstairs, but Downton Abbey knocked last year's revival of Upstairs by the Beeb into a cocked hat.

Odd really. It's usually the B.B.C. who do these Sunday period dramas to perfection. But it was I.T.V. and Downton who pulled it off so spectacularly.
True -who do you most identify with as a character.................I have an idea....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2011, 19:01   #7
God Member

Quote:
It's not real.

She owns Highclere Castle.

Was disappoinred last week. Probably because the war's now started.

Got back into it, and am enjoying it now.

Fantastic cast, and production, and although Julian Fellowes is a bit of a twit, he does write a well crafted yarn.
Agree about Fellowes -probably made hin a mint. What's the new story line -can't wait to see it...Is Thomas still a swine and is there still "feeling" between Anna and Bates?

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2011, 20:05   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Agree about Fellowes -probably made hin a mint. What's the new story line -can't wait to see it...Is Thomas still a swine and is there still "feeling" between Anna and Bates?
Not telling.

Realised earlier I'd mentined the war had started.

That's enough detail, or it'll spoil it for you.

I don't identify with her,honestly, no truly, but Maggie Smith's Dowager's a hoot, and given some great scene stealing lines.

Old 03-10-2011, 20:55   #9
God Member

You are such a tease as ever -think you could be Bates to my Anna -would be a nice compliment...but as you know 'm fanciful to a fault...Night -night.........GKx

Please say you're back ....can't do without you.
Am such a blood-sucker.sorry. xx

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2011, 21:25   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
You are such a tease as ever -think you could be Bates to my Anna -would be a nice compliment...but as you know 'm fanciful to a fault...Night -night.........GKx

Please say you're back ....can't do without you.
Am such a blood-sucker.sorry. xx
Be careful.

They'll be locking you away up in the attic.

I'm meant to be whichever character's the most aggravating. Certainly not a romantic lead.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:32   #11
God Member

Quote:

I don't identify with her,honestly, no truly, but Maggie Smith's Dowager's a hoot, and given some great scene stealing lines.
Just re-watched the second episode series one - she's fab. but then such an experienced and talented actress.
Brilliant lines when Mathew Crawley talks about taking a job and being free at the weekend and she says "What on earth is that? What's a weekend?"
Hard to imagine words we use everyday being "new-fangled".

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-10-2011, 14:00   #12
God Member

Quote:
Be careful.

They'll be locking you away up in the attic.

I'm meant to be whichever character's the most aggravating. Certainly not a romantic lead.

OOPs....probably the best place for me to be "kept".

Aggravating is O'Brien -surely not?

Will have to get my thinking-cap on...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-10-2011, 14:08   #13
Beacon of light

no, it doesn't do it for me. I just can't get into it at all...but then I am not much of a TV person.
I'm happier on the PC and with my reading.

I know this is off thread, but Mobertol....are you going to flirt with G all through the thread.........I'm going to keep my beady eye on you two
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:27   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
no, it doesn't do it for me. I just can't get into it at all...but then I am not much of a TV person.
I'm happier on the PC and with my reading.

I know this is off thread, but Mobertol....are you going to flirt with G all through the thread.........I'm going to keep my beady eye on you two
Absolutely Margaret - and I think you could just be Mrs. Hughes the very sensible Housekeeper.....will have to be on my best behaviour...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18   #15
Beacon of light

'Sensible' will be the word etched on my gravestone.

I am glad you are going to be on your very best behaviour......because on here I am G's second Ma!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..