Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2012, 23:23   #1
Senior Member+

Exclamation Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

On Wednesday night (26th September) at 10pm on Channel 4 there is first of a 2 part program in which several people; including actor Keith Allen, a former MP, a ex-solider and a nurse. Take the illegal drug ecstasy in laboratory conditions hooked up to MRI scans.

Apparently some of them will be given a placebo, not the real drug.

Will you be watching? If not why?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2012, 06:42   #2
God Member

Re: Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

I've kinda seen it advertised but didn't take much notice, didn't know what it was about until you explained, i've never experienced the drug myself so might be interesting to watch, i've only ever smoked the odd joint, i've no need for drugs...you should see me fly when i'm on coffee
Old 24-09-2012, 06:51   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Will you be watching? If not why?
It may be of great importance to you, therefore you will be watching, it isn't of any real interest to me so I won't be watching, is that O.K. with you?

If not,

I'll get a sick note from my Doctor excusing me from having to watch what you seem to consider is compulsory viewing.

Last edited by Less; 24-09-2012 at 06:54.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:02   #4
Beacon of light

I'm with Less......but my note will be from my mother. Mother knows best anyway.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:12   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not remotely interested, so aint gonna be watching.
Old 24-09-2012, 07:16   #6
Resting in Peace

I think there are better adverts on other channels so will be watching them instead
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:21   #7
Senior Member+

Probably not be watching, I see enough people on drugs " really live", to see the effects.

Don't think it's ground breaking, similar has been done before. Whatever floats yer boat I suppose.
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:29   #8
JFT96

Will not be watching, because I have a life and I cannot stand Keith Allen, who is up his own @@@@

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 08:20   #9
Resting in Peace

He never learns another Drugs thread
Old 24-09-2012, 08:42   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
Probably not be watching, I see enough people on drugs " really live", to see the effects.

Don't think it's ground breaking, similar has been done before. Whatever floats yer boat I suppose.
All drugs arn't the same...

There are 25 people taking either A or B - one is the real thing the other is a placebo (in other words a fake pill with no effect). They are then given a 90 minute MRI scan, which is I think is an enclosed machine so no moving around.

Then I think it's a week later given either the real thing or placebo, the opposite of what they had the first time and tested again.

Personally I think it's fascinating.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:52   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Will not be watching, because I have a life and I cannot stand Keith Allen, who is up his own @@@@
But do you like his daughter?
Old 24-09-2012, 09:19   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
All drugs aren't the same...

There are 25 people taking either A or B - one is the real thing the other is a placebo (in other words a fake pill with no effect). They are then given a 90 minute MRI scan, which is I think is an enclosed machine so no moving around.

Then I think it's a week later given either the real thing or placebo, the opposite of what they had the first time and tested again.

Personally I think it's fascinating.
Well you would you've got the experience
Old 24-09-2012, 11:49   #13
Resting in Peace

Well I won't be watching as I have no interest in taking drugs legal or otherwise.Unfortunately I have to take strong painkillers for a medical condition(morphine.liquid and tablet)

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 13:47   #14
Resting In Peace

Well I for one will be watching these programmes (there are two, one Wed and one Thurs), Keith Allen or no Keith Allen. It looks to me to be more science than sensationalism and as a scientist I shall be interested in the results and conclusion. I've never taken recreational drugs nor am I likely to but I'm still interested in learning more about the subject. It's all to easy to close the mind to such things but a few more facts can't be a bad thing before considering the evidence, even if it doesn't change one's mind.

I don't envy the participants if they have to spend too much time in a MRI scanner - not an altogether pleasant experience.

From the TV guide:

Two live programmes which follow volunteers as they take MDMA, the pure form of ecstasy, as part of a scientific study... The first live programme unravels the mysteries of MDMA, revealing how the drug affects the brain. The six-month long neuroscience study, designed by two leading experts on MDMA, uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to examine how MDMA affects the resting brain in healthy volunteers. The programme also looks at the potential side-effects and dangers of taking MDMA and includes a discussion with an expert who disagrees with the study and is sceptical about its purpose.

The second live programme investigates the implications of a scientific study of the effects of MDMA, including potential clinical uses such as whether it could offer a breakthrough in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The programme discovers what recreational users can learn from the trial before discussing MDMA's classification as a Class A drug and possible long-term effects.

The Daily Mail is concerned that the programme may encourage drug use but I think it's a brave attempt by Channel 4 to throw a bit more light on the subject.

Drugs Live: The Ecstasy Trial: Pioneering science -- or a cynical new low from Channel 4? | Mail Online

Actually I'd have quite liked to have taken part...
Old 24-09-2012, 14:03   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

oh well being a peasant i will stay wi me closed mind.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..