Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2010, 19:17   #1
Senior Member+

Edward V11 - Prince of Pleasure" BBC2 at 9pm

EMMA HARTMANN - A friend of the King's and Tenant of the White Lodge.

Yesterday's Daily Mail gave a rather interesting story about an insight into Edward VII's lifestyle. One of the children of Queen Victoria and Albert, he was 59 years of age when finally crowned in 1901, after his mothers 64 years reign.
He was known for having many mistresses, including Lillie Langtry, Jenny Churchill (Winston's mother). The article claims that the greatest love of his life was the society beauty Daisy Warwick, known for throwing fabulous tea parties at her mansion in Essex. But ... there seems to be no mention of our Accrington connection. And yet it is documented that the two daughers of Mr Steiner - Emma and Lina (Emma Street and Lina Street) were exceptionally friendly with the King. (Steiner owned the turkey red dye works at Church, and lived in Hyndburn House, now the site of Hyndburn Park School and surrounding streets) - Through their fathers wealth, the Steiner family - especially the two girls, preferred the brighter lights of London. Both married Frenchmen and both caught the appreciative eye of the Prince of Wales. Lina became the Countess of Jaucourt and Emma married a Mr Hartman, a Roumanian financier. Emma, who became a personal friend of the King, often used to entertain him to dinner at her house in Berkeley Square, and one of his Majesty's first acts after his accession in 1901 was to grant her for life the use of White Lodge in Richmond Park. The house was beautifully furnished in the Louis XV style and the servants wore French liveries of the period. (She was then 65 yrs of age).

Why Edward granted the extensive property to Mrs Hartmann was never stated! It was a decision, as the Morning Post tackfully observed, that was "likely to be due to reasons of which the public know nothing".

So, I am off to get ready to watch BB2 at 9pm, just to see if there is any mention!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emmahartmanresize.jpg (95.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 23-03-2010 at 19:19.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2010, 21:40   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Edward V11 - Prince of Pleasure" BBC2 at 9pm

Perhaps the Misses Steiner were Parisian friends of Bertie's, and shared his ornate, champagne filled, golden bath tub.

I enjoyed the programme, and laughed at the barbed comment at the end of the programme, that after the libertine King's death, the Royal Family reverted to a more moral life, inspired more by Queen Victoria's court, with 'varying degrees of success'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 22:07   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

. But ... there seems to be no mention of our Accrington connection. And yet it is documented that the two daughers of Mr Steiner - Emma and Lina (Emma Street and Lina Street) were exceptionally friendly with the King. (Steiner owned the turkey red dye works at Church, and lived in Hyndburn House, now the site of Hyndburn Park School and surrounding streets) - !
Buggar Edward VII and the myths, rumours and legends of his conquests..Why is Hyndburn Park School so called? Unlike Peel Park school - built roughly the same time and presumably named after Peel Park - there is no 'Hyndburn Park'. Yeah, there is Gatty Park and there is Milnshaw Park....but no Hyndburn Park. So why the name?

Suggestions on a post card, please....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 22:16   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Buggar Edward VII
Bognor Regis Park, Church, has a nice ring to it.

Old 23-03-2010, 22:33   #5
God Member

I'm still trying to figure out "who went where" on this 'love seat' built for three

A love seat fit for a king: The antique chair that gives an eye-popping insight into Edward VII's debauched youth | Mail Online.

sketches on a postcard please
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 22:38   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm still trying to figure out "who went where" on this 'love seat' built for three
You need to get out more.

San Francisco, for instance.

Old 24-03-2010, 08:30   #7
Give, give, give member

A letter from Bertie to Emma.

ENGLAND) EDWARD VII (1841-1910). King of England (1901-10). ALS, 2pp. (1 page front & back), 3.5" x 4.5", signed "Albert Edward" as Prince of Wales, on his imprinted Royal correspondence card, Marlborough House, May 9, (1892). To Mrs. Emma Hartmann, on the engagement of his son, George V, to Mary of Teck, "I am very grateful for your kind letter of congratulations on my son's engagement. No event could have given me greater pleasure and I feel sure that they will be very happy." With original envelope. Wonderful item associating two Kings and a Queen of England...Mint......[6556]...$595.00
Royalty & Heads of State

Old 25-03-2010, 10:37   #8
Senior Member+

To Tealeaf, oh ye of little faith. Course there was a park, a flippin big one, it was all the land around the mansion house that the steiners lived in. It covered a MASSIVE area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyndburnhouse.jpg (212.2 KB, 23 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 11:42   #9
God Member

Quote:
To Tealeaf, oh ye of little faith. Course there was a park, a flippin big one, it was all the land around the mansion house that the steiners lived in. It covered a MASSIVE area.

What? With public access and public amenities?

Sorry, I must have missed it on the maps. Hyndburn park school was built around 1909, if I recall....much later than the surrounding houses. So there would have been no park when the school was built. Still, I suppose if the public were previously allowed to roam around that area, it could be termed a park.
Old 24-05-2010, 11:03   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Yesterday's Daily Mail gave a rather interesting story about an insight into Edward VII's lifestyle. One of the children of Queen Victoria and Albert, he was 59 years of age when finally crowned in 1901, after his mothers 64 years reign.
He was known for having many mistresses, including Lillie Langtry, Jenny Churchill (Winston's mother). The article claims that the greatest love of his life was the society beauty Daisy Warwick, known for throwing fabulous tea parties at her mansion in Essex. But ... there seems to be no mention of our Accrington connection. And yet it is documented that the two daughers of Mr Steiner - Emma and Lina (Emma Street and Lina Street) were exceptionally friendly with the King. (Steiner owned the turkey red dye works at Church, and lived in Hyndburn House, now the site of Hyndburn Park School and surrounding streets) - Through their fathers wealth, the Steiner family - especially the two girls, preferred the brighter lights of London. Both married Frenchmen and both caught the appreciative eye of the Prince of Wales. Lina became the Countess of Jaucourt and Emma married a Mr Hartman, a Roumanian financier. Emma, who became a personal friend of the King, often used to entertain him to dinner at her house in Berkeley Square, and one of his Majesty's first acts after his accession in 1901 was to grant her for life the use of White Lodge in Richmond Park. The house was beautifully furnished in the Louis XV style and the servants wore French liveries of the period. (She was then 65 yrs of age).

Why Edward granted the extensive property to Mrs Hartmann was never stated! It was a decision, as the Morning Post tackfully observed, that was "likely to be due to reasons of which the public know nothing".

So, I am off to get ready to watch BB2 at 9pm, just to see if there is any mention!
Jean François Lévisse de Montigny , Marquis de Jaucourt * 28-5-1826 + 18-9-1906
Jean François de Montigny Levisse, Marquis de Jaucourt * 05/28/1826 + 18/09/1906
x 27-12-1864
x 27.12.1864
Viktoria Lina Steiner * … + 1925
Viktoria Lina Steiner * 1925 + .

Google Translate

I might be mistaken, but it looks like the Marquis de Jaucourt, who Lina married, had a daughter who carried both her mother's name, and also the Steiner name, carrying on the Accrington connection.

Old 24-05-2010, 11:43   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Jean François Lévisse de Montigny , Marquis de Jaucourt * 28-5-1826 + 18-9-1906
Jean François de Montigny Levisse, Marquis de Jaucourt * 05/28/1826 + 18/09/1906
x 27-12-1864
x 27.12.1864
Viktoria Lina Steiner * … + 1925
Viktoria Lina Steiner * 1925 + .

Google Translate

I might be mistaken, but it looks like the Marquis de Jaucourt, who Lina married, had a daughter who carried both her mother's name, and also the Steiner name, carrying on the Accrington connection.
Would anyone with access to the census be able to check if Frederick Steiner's daughter is actually listed as Lina, or is it a shortened variation of Caroline/Carolina, when she live in Accrington?

Her name after marriage was the Countess de Montigny Levisse de Jaucourt.

The Census for 1861 showed a multicultural and cross-county household at Hyndburn House, Old Accrington. Head of the household was Frederick Steiner, 70, who had been born in France but was a turkey red dyer, printer and merchant employing 683 people. His French-born wife Emma, 54, did not work and they had a butler from Yorkshire, a footman from Staffordshire, a valet from France, a housekeeper from Westmorland, a ladies' maid from Somerset, a maidservant from Lancashire, two housemaids called Hannah Lamb and Sarah Veal from Yorkshire, another housemaid from Staffordshire and a kitchen maid who had been born in Germany.
Chorley Citizen - news, sport, jobs, homes in Chorley, Adlington, Coppull, Euxton and Rivington - Census records lay bare East Lancashire's past

Old 24-05-2010, 11:53   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Would anyone with access to the census be able to check if Frederick Steiner's daughter is actually listed as Lina, or is it a shortened variation of Caroline/Carolina, when she live in Accrington?

Her name after marriage was the Countess de Montigny Levisse de Jaucourt.
Found her, she was Caroline.
Have a photograph of the Marquis, but sadly not her...yet.

'Francois Marquis de Jaucourt born May 28, 1826 and died September 18, 1906, married Caroline Steiner Marquise Jaucourt died in 1925.'
Presles Historique - Histoire de Presles-en-Brie
Attached Images
File Type: gif Jaucourt.gif (50.7 KB, 15 views)

Old 24-05-2010, 11:59   #13
God Member

Gary i love you you're ace
Old 24-05-2010, 16:33   #14
Give, give, give member

Found this mention of the former Misses Steiner, in this autobiography from 1902, 'Recollections of a Diplomatist' by The Right Honourable Sir Horrace Rumbold, Bart G.C.B., G.C.M.G.

'I had liked my six weeks' stay at Nice
very well. I found there, as usual, a number of
pleasant people, among others the Ellisons, the
young Due de Mouchy, and my old friend Geraldine
Harris. But what I most enjoyed was going for
long rides in the early spring, when the country
round Nice looks its loveliest, with Mrs. Hartmann
and her sister, Miss Steiner, the very attractive
daughters of a remarkable old Alsatian millionaire,
who, by his shrewdness and industry, had become
one of the leading manufacturers of Lancashire. If
I am not mistaken he partly owed his wealth to
some important discovery he had made in the
composition of aniline dyes. Miss Steiner not long
afterwards married my very good friend the Marquis
de Jaucourt, and 1 have had the pleasure of visiting
her since in her luxurious home in Paris.'

http://www.archive.org/stream/recoll...biala_djvu.txt

Old 24-05-2010, 21:05   #15
God Member

Quote:
Found this mention of the former Misses Steiner, in this autobiography from 1902, 'Recollections of a Diplomatist' by The Right Honourable Sir Horrace Rumbold, Bart G.C.B., G.C.M.G.

'I had liked my six weeks' stay at Nice
very well.
Full text of "Recollections of a diplomatist .."
Just think...Sir Horrace could have had 6 weeks in Ossy. I wonder what he would have had to say then?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..