Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2012, 22:53   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Film Critics

So..does anyone really care what they say...

Today as a 50+ bloke I've watched Battleship and Avengers Assemble on DVD...both of which were absolutely hammered by the film critics who are supposed to litmus test the watchablity of a film...

I'm not ashamed to say, I enjoyed them both.

Both films were inane, puerile, nonsenical, predictable and cliche ridden...but...

There are times when I don't want to think, when I just want to lie on my settee with a couple of beers, a bag of crisps and be entertained.

Critics never slammed Tom and Jerry or Road Runner even though we all knew that neither Wiley or Tom would ever win......they were inane, puerile, nonsenical, predicatable and cliche ridden...and we all loved them.

It's a given that whenever there is a Hollywood blockbuster, the critics slag it off. Why are these people in a job..they ALWAYS get it wrong
Old 22-09-2012, 22:59   #2

Re: Film Critics

Film critic, music critic, art critic or book critic. Can't stand any of them. Sooner make my own mind up. From what i've seen they are all a bunch of pretentious #%&$kers anyway.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Today as a 50+ bloke I've watched Battleship and Avengers Assemble on DVD...both of which were absolutely hammered by the film critics who are supposed to litmus test the watchablity of a film...

Both films were inane, puerile, nonsenical, predictable and cliche ridden...but...

There are times when I don't want to think, when I just want to lie on my settee with a couple of beers, a bag of crisps and be entertained.

Critics never slammed Tom and Jerry or Road Runner even though we all knew that neither Wiley or Tom would ever win......they were inane, puerile, nonsenical, predicatable and cliche ridden...and we all loved them.

It's a given that whenever there is a Hollywood blockbuster, the critics slag it off. Why are these people in a job..they ALWAYS get it wrong
Based on your own film criticism, I don't think I will bother watching these two films.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:03   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Based on your own film criticism, I don't think I will bother watching these two films.
That made me chuckle

If there are times when you 'don't want to think', I find that 'tuning out' can be easily done. It is a style of 'still sitting/mind emptying' meditation - no ritual postures or chanting.

That is far more refreshing than loading your subconcious mind with puerile junk.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:08   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

I've always thought that people who become critics are usually those who have failed in the area they are criticising, its the old them that can do, them that can't teach
Old 23-09-2012, 10:29   #6
Beacon of light

Well John, my view of critics is that they can recognise a table...but it would be a different matter if you asked them to make one.
The quote about teaching might be true - but often it isn't..........I taught nursing students.
I am told that I was a good nurse...I hope I passed on some valuable concepts to the students who learned at my side, and at my classroom teaching sessions.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:53   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well John, my view of critics is that they can recognise a table...but it would be a different matter if you asked them to make one.
The quote about teaching might be true - but often it isn't..........I taught nursing students.
I am told that I was a good nurse...I hope I passed on some valuable concepts to the students who learned at my side, and at my classroom teaching sessions.
There's always exceptions to any rule Margaret
Old 23-09-2012, 11:41   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It is a style of 'still sitting/mind emptying'
Some will no doubt find this easier than others, as they've the advantage of not having a great deal in to start with.
Old 23-09-2012, 17:03   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That made me chuckle

If there are times when you 'don't want to think', I find that 'tuning out' can be easily done. It is a style of 'still sitting/mind emptying' meditation - no ritual postures or chanting.

That is far more refreshing than loading your subconcious mind with puerile junk.
Surely yeh can only load it, if it don't go in one ear n out the other, Its n easy trick to master, i'll teach yeh someday.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..