Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2011, 15:56   #1
God Member

Thumbs up Great new British films...

Had the pleasure of watching two great new British films over the weekend. The first was Cemetary Junction -a comedy by the writers of "The Office" -Ricky Gervais was obviously in it -not normally a favourite of mine but he was very good in this. It's a brilliant and funny re-evocation of the 70's - music like "Crazy Horses" -it really captures the feeling of the time.
The second was "Never let me go" - rather strange, melancholy and a bit disturbing but with a really splendid cast. Keira Knightly, Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield and Charlotte Rampling - for me though -even if she only had a lesser role, the brilliant Sally Hawkins stole the show , wonderful actress who i've only discovered recently for her portrayal of Anne Elliot in Persuasion alongside (the rather lovely!) Rupert Penry-jones, and another great film I can recommend, Mike Leigh's film Happy Go Lucky which is a laugh a minute modern commedy set in London.
Any suggestions for other great British films to look out for?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2011, 21:10   #2
God Member

Re: Great new British films...

Saw another one this evening -"My friend Eric" great commedy about a postman in depression who thinks he can see and talk to Eric Cantona...
British films show life as it is...
American films show life as they wish it was....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 23:01   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Watched a premiere of one tonight on BBC 2, what a cracker- "The Boy In Striped Pyjamas" about n 8 yr old boy in WW2. was about a german kid whose dad became a "Camp Commander" who befriended n 8 yr old jewish kid, really demonstrates the innocence of youth, well worth a watch if repeated.was actually made in 2008, but first showing on tv.
Old 31-08-2011, 07:20   #4
God Member

We watched that last night Cashy, have been meaning to since it came out. As you say, cracking film - just wish it'd been on a bit earlier, found the end a bit disturbing for pre-bedtime viewing - took me ages to nod off, well worth watching though.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:59   #5
Full Member+

The interaction between the two boys was compelling to watch and even though I knew it was going to end in tragedy I wasn't expecting THAT ! (Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it)
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 11:47   #6
JFT96

Apart from the Ealing Comedys, the Ladykillers, Lavender Hill Mob and Man in a White Suit, to name three.
Tinker tailor solider spy looks quite good, I hope it compares well to the BBC serial.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..