Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 20:45   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Horrible Histories

Its a kids show on CBBC, it's Python for kids, but educational. They did a stint on the BBC proms last year. Oh how I wish this kind of teaching had been around when I had to learn history.

Clip below is the hour long BBC prom, defy any of you not to learn some history from this highly entertaining 'kids' hour. Hard to believe that apart from the orchestra there are only 6 performers.

P.S. the heavy metal viking lead guitarist playing the axe is pure Python genius
Old 05-05-2012, 07:33   #2
God Member

Re: Horrible Histories

Have watched quite a few hours of the programme with my God-daughter while over in the UK -it's very zany and funny but educational as you say. I would have loved it as a kid I'm sure.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:55   #3
God Member

Oh i love this programme, don't even need a kid with me to watch it, love all the unusual facts you get from it too
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02   #4

I love history but hated it at school. The main reason I hated it was the teachers. I can't get enough of it now
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25   #5
Clearly Classy.......

I took my son to see it on stage, it was amazing and had a 3D show with it as well.

Horrible Histories: TV & Stage

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
I love history but hated it at school. The main reason I hated it was the teachers. I can't get enough of it now
Me too clayton40 one lesson with Des Mulderick and that was that with history for me
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I quite enjoyed history at school (studied to O level & passed) & still enjoy it now. As I see it, if you don't understand how our land & culture evolved you'll fail to grasp the concept of being British.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I quite enjoyed history at school (studied to O level & passed) & still enjoy it now. As I see it, if you don't understand how our land & culture evolved you'll fail to grasp the concept of being British.
Very profound DiG -did you study Philosophy too

On thinking about it though Horrible Histories is all about the uniquely British sense of humour so you are undoubtedly right and the programme is a double edged sword in a certain way.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Very profound DiG -did you study Philosophy too
No Mo, at the time I was being edjamacated, Philosophy wasn't available to the peasantry unless we opted for college or some such, now the philosophy surrounding that (in the words of my dear old Dad) was such " If you think I'm going to pay, for you to go pishing it up for the next 3 years, you'd better think again lad, get yourself a proper job !"

With my academic future so curtailed I became a lumber jack instead As to My philosophical learnings, they were garnered in the real World.

sits back & awaits pish taking to begin.
Old 05-05-2012, 14:16   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
No Mo, at the time I was being edjamacated, Philosophy wasn't available to the peasantry unless we opted for college or some such, now the philosophy surrounding that (in the words of my dear old Dad) was such " If you think I'm going to pay, for you to go pishing it up for the next 3 years, you'd better think again lad, get yourself a proper job !"

With my academic future so curtailed I became a lumber jack instead As to My philosophical learnings, they were garnered in the real World.

sits back & awaits pish taking to begin.
Sounds like the University of Life did a good enough job Dave...
Old 05-05-2012, 14:47   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
He has such a way with words...typical lippy scouser!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-05-2012, 14:53   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya who the hell needs Oxford or Cambridge, ya get a degree there in 3 years, In the U of L your studying all your life and then some
Old 05-05-2012, 15:19   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
It certainly taught me plenty Sue & I'm still taking new lessons everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
He has such a way with words...typical lippy
scouser!
Lippy ? Lippy ? I prefer silkily silver tongued, but more often than not the descriptive is smart arse !
Old 05-05-2012, 15:21   #14
God Member

Quote:
It certainly taught me plenty Sue & I'm still taking new lessons everyday.

Lippy ? Lippy ? I prefer silkily silver tongued, but more often than not the descriptive is smart arse !
Well, nouse does rhyme with scouse!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..