Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2012, 11:18   #1
God Member

Netflix and Lovefilm

When I recently upgraded to (lower class type) of BT Infinity, my download/upload limit went up from 10gb to 40gb, and I thought - great! - can now watch films online.

I started with a month free trial at Netflix - watched about 8 films - but after the first 6 was disappointed. Maybe I expected too much, but repeats of TV series aren't my idea of 'film entertainment'. There was nothing left that I was willing to pay for so I cancelled a week before the free month expired.

So I am now on a 'Lovefilm Instant' free trial for a month.
I have watched 2 superb films which I rated 5*, and thought - great ! - this looks worth sticking with, because there were at least another six films that looked potentially enjoyable.

BUT when I checked the BT bandwidth monitor I had a shock. Those two films had taken my bandwidth use to over half of my monthly allowance, and I was only one third way into the month. They were HD films which use far more bandwidth.

I am not fussy about this 'HD thing' - (I can't see the difference in any case), so I wrote to Lovefilm to ask if the HD could be 'switched off' by the user (me), and this is their reply -

"Dear Margaret,
Thank you for your recent email.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Unfortunately, there will be no option for you to select quality yourself. If content is available in HD and the your internet connection is fast enough content will be displayed in HD.
I would also like to inform you that a minimum speed of 4 Mbps (megabits per second) is required to play HD titles in 720p quality. A minimum speed of 12 Mbps is required to play HD titles in 1080p quality. The LOVEFiLM Instant system automatically selects the best quality of playback for uninterrupted viewing. So if your broadband speed drops while viewing, playback will seamlessly switch to, say, 720p or standard definition; it will switch back up, equally seamlessly, when your broadband speed increases. Best possible speed will be achieved by using an Ethernet cable to connect your device to the internet, rather Wi-Fi."

I find that a little ironic - if I didn't have (fast) Infinity, the film would automatically not be viewable in HD.

I am not willing to double what I pay to BT for the privilege of unlimited bandwidth, so I am back to watching youtube style free documentaries - I will be 'educated' rather than 'amused', which maybe is for the best.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2012, 18:19   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Netflix and Lovefilm

BT are a joke, you can have fast Internet but can't use it without having to pay more.
Old 19-09-2012, 18:22   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
BT are a joke, you can have fast Internet but can't use it without having to pay more.
left em years ago, after having the row that i had "unlimited", they capped me, then told me, "it is unlimited, you can still download, just not as fast"

i pay for top whack virgin media 100mb unlimited downloads, but it aint cheap!
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 20:05   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Do you get 100mb though, my lad has it and he does
Old 19-09-2012, 20:10   #5
Senior Member+

i d/load mainly from usenet eu servers, and generally id say bout 70
Old 20-09-2012, 06:23   #6
God Member

this might help you

NetBalancer - internet traffic control and monitoring tool

you can effectlvely limit the bandwidth available to the browser you are using to access Lovefilm to keep it under the HD switchover point.

its free for the low spec 5 process version so you can give it a go and see if it works for you.

As per teh other s though to sell you a super fast connection then limit it to as little as that when their own ads sell on the streaming video ability is criminal IMHO

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 11:16   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
i d/load mainly from usenet eu servers, and generally id say bout 70

This is his speedtest and yes he does like rubbing it in

Old 21-09-2012, 11:23   #8
God Member

I have looked at Netbalancer but am reluctant to try it.
Thanks for drawing my attention to a possible solution.
Old 21-09-2012, 11:27   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have looked at Netbalancer but am reluctant to try it.
Thanks for drawing my attention to a possible solution.
Why are you reluctant to try it?
Old 21-09-2012, 11:30   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why are you reluctant to try it?
It looks like a complicated way of restricting bandwidth and I am not computer savvy enough to have confidence using it.
Old 21-09-2012, 13:03   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It looks like a complicated way of restricting bandwidth and I am not computer savvy enough to have confidence using it.
margaret, you could always ask someone you trust to remote in and do it for you, i am sure there are many that would oblige

lots of free software, that will aloow someone a one off connection to your system, you have to allow them to get on it, so its very safe

i use teamviewer, to connect to peoples system, its free and quite easy to setup.

just a thought!
Old 21-09-2012, 14:04   #12
Senior Member+

bit of a thread wander, but only just discovered that virgin media have an online player, similar to skyplayer, you get what your subscribed to, if you no what i mean
Old 27-09-2012, 17:24   #13
God Member

I have tried three more films on Lovefilm and was disappointed - subscription cancelled 10 days before free trial ends.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..