Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2011, 12:17   #1
Senior Member+

News Programmes

In this country, TV news programmes have always adopted a position that scenes of dead and injured bodies should be kept to a minimum. They have shied away from other countries' tendency to show the victims of war or major accidents.

In recent weeks, there seems to have been a move away from this. The images of Gaddafi before and after his shooting are perhaps understandable, given his high profile, but other scenes from Libya and similar war zones now regularly appear, albeit with a warning that such images are about to be shown. Today, there are images on SkyNews of priests in Tibet who have set fire to themselves.

Is this a deliberate shift in policy, or are we just living in a world where such events are becoming the norm?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2011, 12:38   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: News Programmes

I don't know if there's been a deliberate shift.

There was that horrific, now infamous, photograph of the little girl, who was screaming and naked after an attack in Vietnam, from 1972, which was shown by the media around the world.

I have noticed the B.B.C. evening news does give a warning, if there are going to be images some could find shocking.

I'm not in favour of too much censorship. The news should report the reality of what's actually happening, in my opinion.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:52   #3
Senior Member+

It wasnt the reporting that disgusted me, it was the actual events.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 13:46   #4
I am Banned

Groove thinks that in todays world of media overload, the public have become de-sensitivised, Groove agrees the news should portay the sometimes unsavoury truth but thinks a warning is sufficient.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 14:19   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
In this country, TV news programmes have always adopted a position that scenes of dead and injured bodies should be kept to a minimum. They have shied away from other countries' tendency to show the victims of war or major accidents.

In recent weeks, there seems to have been a move away from this. The images of Gaddafi before and after his shooting are perhaps understandable, given his high profile, but other scenes from Libya and similar war zones now regularly appear, albeit with a warning that such images are about to be shown. Today, there are images on SkyNews of priests in Tibet who have set fire to themselves.

Is this a deliberate shift in policy, or are we just living in a world where such events are becoming the norm?
Can remember in the 60s, "Buddist Monks" were setting fire to themselves, a mention in the newspapers, a mention on the news, seemed to me twas all that was needed to "Get The Picture" it is a different world n aint always fer the better.
Old 25-10-2011, 16:29   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Can remember in the 60s, "Buddist Monks" were setting fire to themselves, a mention in the newspapers, a mention on the news, seemed to me twas all that was needed to "Get The Picture" it is a different world n aint always fer the better.
Aye, that was in Saigon - although someone did set themselves ablaze in '68 in Prague, when the Russkies rolled in. Jan Pallack was his name, if I remember correctly (dunno about the spelling).

The worse TV report I recall was again a piece from the Vietnam war, when a South Vietnamese police colonel started shouting and screaming at a VC suspect being held by one of his men. The camera was about 5ft away when the colonel whipped out his pistol and blew VC's brains out. It was all captured on black and white film and shown on British news. I really don't think we'd see that today, although I know that lots of recent film is held by the BBC/ITV etc of people being shot dead, blown up etc,
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:52   #7
Give, give, give member

There are positives, to showing on the news the reality of what's actually happening.

What would Bob Geldof done for the last quarter century, if Michael Buerk hadn't made his reports from Ethiopia?

Old 25-10-2011, 19:29   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The little girl in question was Phan Thị Kim Phúc, June 1972 & as to the head shot by Chief of National Police (R.o.V) Nguyễn Ngọc Loan that was Feb 1968. Both stark & emotive photos leaving a lasting legacy.

For their time they were both explicit & shocking, but the modern day World with it's instant access to far more graphic & direct pictures via the internet seems to have dulled the senses & made what was once considered not suitable for broadcast into an everyday & "acceptable" medium. As Cashy said, the World has changed but not necessarily all of it is for the better.
Old 25-10-2011, 19:39   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
The little girl in question was Phan Thị Kim Phúc, June 1972 & as to the head shot by Chief of National Police (R.o.V) Nguyễn Ngọc Loan that was Feb 1968. Both stark & emotive photos leaving a lasting legacy.

For their time they were both explicit & shocking, but the modern day World with it's instant access to far more graphic & direct pictures via the internet seems to have dulled the senses & made what was once considered not suitable for broadcast into an everyday & "acceptable" medium. As Cashy said, the World has changed but not necessarily all of it is for the better.
In 1972 seeing breasts in the papers was seen as shocking.

Today we see 'em everywhere.

Nowadays some tits even get elected to parliament.

Allegedly.

Old 25-10-2011, 23:53   #10
God Member

True in the derogatory sense of that word. Don't foret that as a species we are mammals - to demote that to something of less importance is to undervalue it's relevance to humanity...

Non of us would be here...

But for the grace of God...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 00:19   #11
God Member

Paliamentarians?

Could be considered an alien race at times

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:03   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Paliamentarians?

Could be considered an alien race at times
What do ya mean at times
Old 26-10-2011, 11:36   #13
I am Banned

Groove thinks terrorist organisations use the media as part of their campaign...The 9/11 attacks were timed to ensure maximum media coverage,as opposed to doing it in the middle of the night. This ensured the world would be watching,
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 18:57   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove thinks terrorist organisations use the media as part of their campaign...The 9/11 attacks were timed to ensure maximum media coverage,as opposed to doing it in the middle of the night. This ensured the world would be watching,
Er...it was night-time, for half of the planet.

Old 27-10-2011, 19:03   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...it was night-time, for half of the planet.
Not in Grooves world Rindi

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..