Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2012, 23:24   #1
God Member

One night...

Did anyone else see this drama over the last week?

Four nights -the same story seen through 4 protagonists eyes - I really enjoyed it and now that i know how it ended,woud love to see it again to appreciate the subtleties.

My parents were watching it with me and thought the ending was inconclusive -think they need everything spelling out...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2012, 23:55   #2

Re: One night...

I've recorded it to watch over the weekend with my partner who's been away all week working, I'm looking forward to it.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:25   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Did anyone else see this drama over the last week?

Four nights -the same story seen through 4 protagonists eyes - I really enjoyed it and now that i know how it ended,woud love to see it again to appreciate the subtleties.

My parents were watching it with me and thought the ending was inconclusive -think they need everything spelling out...
Wasn't it very close to fact of what is happening with gangs in all major UK cities and clearly showing that the core of society is rotten. Single mothers bringing up 4 kids, unable to cope, leaving their kids to be sucked into this gang culture.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 05:07   #4
God Member

Kestrelx you really are a class A PILLOCK, you have morals when it comes to this but not when it comes to drugs? I suggest you skulk back under whichever rock you crawled out of and stay there FOREVER

i managed to watch one episode which was the second one, after someone explained to me what happened the first night i kinda got it, think i'll be catching up on iplayer when i can
Old 31-03-2012, 09:31   #5
God Member

The gang theme is obviously very relevant but I actually enjoyed the various human dramas much more. Snapshots of different people lives and how they become entangled through the most banal of incidents. Also the way that peoples pre-conceptions of others and their place in society influence their reasoning and actions.

I think it drew an interesting picture of today's society. Can recommend it and would really like to watch it again -but then I am starved of this kind of British drama

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 01-04-2012, 16:38   #6
God Member

Read in the paper earlier how this was put out at a different time to that originally programmed, as it was feared the content might be too controversial. The writer, cast and crew were all very disappointed it didn't go out in a prime time spot (at 9) and think it lost a lot of the audience it was intended for. Apparently the BBC invested £2 million in making it -all filmed in East London last summer - so it seems a strange choice to have screened it so late.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Kestrelx you really are a class A PILLOCK, you have morals when it comes to this but not when it comes to drugs? I suggest you skulk back under whichever rock you crawled out of and stay there FOREVER

i managed to watch one episode which was the second one, after someone explained to me what happened the first night i kinda got it, think i'll be catching up on iplayer when i can
Nice Language PILLOCK! It was rubbish! Tell that to the little girl crippled for life by some thugs shooting a gun in a shop!

We should not glamourise these thugs in TV Drama's!
Stockwell shooting victim Thusha Kamaleswaran just wants to walk again - Mirror Online

All that "One Night" concluded with was - the kids going down for what a bunch of scum bags did! They should have spent the money on asking what can be done to stop thugs with guns!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01   #8
God Member

I stand by everything i said...you blame it on single mothers bringing up kids on their own...you are a horrible person
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Be very careful shaz,Honest Straightforward Comments like that could well lead to you being accused of being a member of the "Accyweb Mafia" I know this fer fact cos I'm a member,"They have told me"
Old 02-04-2012, 09:49   #10
God Member

[quote=kestrelx;981879]We should not glamourise these thugs in TV Drama's! [quote]

My take on this drama was that it did not glamourize the gangs but just showed the sad circumstances that led to the youngsters taking part in them. It showed how young boys and girls all want to fit in together and how hard it is to be an individual and different at a certain age among your peers. The young boy who did the accidental shooting was really a vey good boy coping with exceptionally difficult circumstances.

One of his friends who came from a well-off family chucked a brick through somebodies window to fit in with the others and try and be part of the group. I found all the characters were very believable and that it was thoughtfully put together.

Probably the least difficult part to believe was the character whose story wasn't heard -the single mother who abandonned her four children to themselves, for a holiday away with a new boyfriend. It would have been interesting to see what could have driven her to do something so extreme.
I have been lucky to have a husband at my side while bringing up my two boys, so i can't imagine what it must be like to be alone in such a difficult task.

I think it would have been better for this drama to have been on at at time when more families could have watched it, as it would have been a good way of getting them to talk to each other about gangs and discuss the other issues that came up.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-04-2012, 17:21   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
I stand by everything i said...you blame it on single mothers bringing up kids on their own...you are a horrible person
I don't blame it on single parents completely, but think that a lot of single parents can't cope with more than 1 or 2 kids - in this drama I think she had 4 and left the lad to look after them! That's not right!

So easy to Mate - then that leads to hate!
Old 02-04-2012, 19:47   #12
God Member

I'm a single mum...stop taring us all with the same brush
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I don't blame it on single parents completely, but think that a lot of single parents can't cope with more than 1 or 2 kids - in this drama I think she had 4 and left the lad to look after them! That's not right!

So easy to Mate - then that leads to hate!
A rhyme but not a very nice one!

As I have already written, the person whose "voice" was completely unheard in the drama was that of the single mother and we know nothing about her circumstances. Supposition: she had 3 children who were older and one younger child with new partner -perhaps she was a widow? In any case it makes no difference. Single parents are not to blame for the woes of the world. Could be an idea for a spin off drama though - the telling of that family's story and seeing how what happened to the boy after his arrest affected them all.

As to your rhyme, it is a perfectly natural drive which leads people to procreate -that is what we are here for in essence. I think possibly the hate you mention in many cases is down to disillusionment with what many young people see their future prospects to be and also, unfortunately, prejudices which are perpetuated by ignorance.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-04-2012, 13:16   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
A rhyme but not a very nice one!

As I have already written, the person whose "voice" was completely unheard in the drama was that of the single mother and we know nothing about her circumstances. Supposition: she had 3 children who were older and one younger child with new partner -perhaps she was a widow? In any case it makes no difference. Single parents are not to blame for the woes of the world. Could be an idea for a spin off drama though - the telling of that family's story and seeing how what happened to the boy after his arrest affected them all.

As to your rhyme, it is a perfectly natural drive which leads people to procreate -that is what we are here for in essence. I think possibly the hate you mention in many cases is down to disillusionment with what many young people see their future prospects to be and also, unfortunately, prejudices which are perpetuated by ignorance.
My rhyme means it's easy for people to have sex and make babies but they can't cope with the result of not giving that child a proper upbringing; which leads to hate!

These gangs feed on children who do not have strong family support. I thought the woman who appeared at the end was the Mother and from what I gathered she spent a lot of time away, leaving the lad who shot the gun, alone to look after the other children. She only popped up at the end and gave him a hug in the final shot.

Admittedly I only watced 2 out of the 4!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..