Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57   #1
Senior Member+

Public info adverts

I'm pretty sure most of you have come across these PI adverts at some point in your life.
Whether they were dealing with the dangers of smoking, drowning, playing on railways or child abduction these adverts have never held back when it comes to getting their message across.
I believe they were first used in postwar propaganda, they used them to raise national spirits,skip forward a few decades and they're more commonly seen on today's screens warning of drink driving,the dangers of smoking, not wearing a seatbelt etc.
Do they still have showings at schools,were the class sit down watch and discuss these adverts?

Like most (privileged kids), I had 'computer games', a TV (even a top loader VHS player in later days) I also had some pretty good toys that i really CBA naming but, on top of these distractions,I also had a BMX and I was no stranger to pedalling off in search of a adventure, often ending up in places I shouldn't (abandoned buildings ).

Looking back, I realise now there was a vast array of dangers that I could of easily stumbled across while (innocently) playing out.
Obviously recognising some of these dangers (and others) our British government’s Central Office of Info designed adverts (often quite graphic and traumatising) to try warn and advise folk on how to negotiate the veritable minefield of deadly obstacles one may encounter. Of course, they didn’t work on me as I still enjoy a good noisy round a old mill and the likes.

Anyway, bearing in mind some of these adverts were/are quite creepy,graphic and traumatising.

I want which one's have suck with you?

Here are a few to get the ball rolling:

There's more here for anyone interested
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 08-05-2014 at 13:05.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..