Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2013, 21:50   #1
I am Banned

Satelite TV

Any one else having problems with Skyb or FreeSat, both are coming back with messages no signal unplug your box and wait 5 mins.
Still no signals, I suspect its a fault on the land lines carrying the signals to the uplink transmitter, the web has started to run really slow as well can't get on the Great War Forum.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2013, 21:51   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Satelite TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Any one else having problems with Skyb or FreeSat, both are coming back with messages no signal unplug your box and wait 5 mins.
Still no signals, I suspect its a fault on the land lines carrying the signals to the uplink transmitter, the web has started to run really slow as well can't get on the Great War Forum.
Our freesat is working ok
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 21:52   #3

We're having the same problem at the moment, freeview box. Missed part 2 of Silent Witness. I assume it's something to do with the weather.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 21:53   #4
God Member

Seen quite a lot of people complaining on Facebook they have lost Sky because of the weather
Old 25-01-2013, 22:00   #5
JFT96

Same problem, I find Car decider and banging to remove the ice that has formed on the dish helps.
But not for long......

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 22:04   #6
God Member

snow does affect sky/satellite TV as teh whole thing relies on line of sight to the sat from the dish. Snow blocks this, Nowt to do with telephony or anything else, Freesat uses the same sat BTW

Mine is working fine BTW so clearly Sky itself is not "offline"

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 22:21   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
snow does affect sky/satellite TV as teh whole thing relies on line of sight to the sat from the dish. Snow blocks this, Nowt to do with telephony or anything else, Freesat uses the same sat BTW

Mine is working fine BTW so clearly Sky itself is not "offline"
FreeSat is one of the 5 Astra satellites in in the same group 36, 000 miles out into space, Sky is another one of that group, as for line of site the angular difference between Bash & Acc is miniscule.
Old 25-01-2013, 22:32   #8
JFT96

36000miles, sounds a bit far for geo stationary, the US NAVSTAR (GPS) are only 22000miles.
You sure you did not mean km?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 23:06   #9
Senior Member+

Me freesat has gone off now at23.06
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 23:14   #10
God Member

My freeview keeps going off
Old 25-01-2013, 23:15   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
36000miles, sounds a bit far for geo stationary, the US NAVSTAR (GPS) are only 22000miles.
You sure you did not mean km?
Yep, even at 36,000 km its still a flaming long way to walk, found out what was up the quad head was completely covered in snow, had to use an extending handled brush to knock it off, most of it landed on me, gonna have to make it a little umbrella, if this weather keep up.
Old 25-01-2013, 23:15   #12
God Member

Quote:
FreeSat is one of the 5 Astra satellites in in the same group 36, 000 miles out into space, Sky is another one of that group, as for line of site the angular difference between Bash & Acc is miniscule.
I think you will find they all share the group of sats and I didn't suggest there was more than one because for all intents and purposes there is a singular collection that deals with our satellite TV needs. If you knew this much you would also understand the needs of line of sight so it begs the question why your earlier posts were so misguided????????

and yes, its 36K km not miles

Quote:
All the ASTRA satellites operate in the geostationary orbit, some 36,000km above the Earth’s equator. ASTRA groups the satellites in five clusters, at the ASTRA 19.2°E, ASTRA 28.2°E, ASTRA 23.5°E, ASTRA 5°E and ASTRA 31.5°E positions.
SKy as we know it uses 28.2E with a little on 28.5

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 25-01-2013 at 23:20.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 23:47   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I think you will find they all share the group of sats and I didn't suggest there was more than one because for all intents and purposes there is a singular collection that deals with our satellite TV needs. If you knew this much you would also understand the needs of line of sight so it begs the question why your earlier posts were so misguided????????

and yes, its 36K km not miles

SKy as we know it uses 28.2E with a little on 28.5
Hold on Ian, I thought signals had to originate somewhere land based before being up loaded to the satelite, like BBC & ITV all start off here in England, and are sent to transmitters via the telephone nextwork, I know that outside broadcasts use the satelites to bounce the signals to the studios, so I suspected a cable fault somewhere, didn't know it was snowing so bad that it had covered the quad head.
Back in the days before satelites when there was only a couple or three channels we we always losing signals because of GPO faults on the landlines before the signals got to Winter Hill.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-01-2013 at 23:51.
Old 25-01-2013, 23:57   #14
Resting in Peace

Re: Satellite TV

Ya mine has gone off too that's why I'm on here at this ungodly hour
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 02:11   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Its because of the snow, maybe your dish alignment is poor and you get away with it normally.

This far north we should use a 60cm dish not the 48cm dishes that most installers use. They do it because they are cheaper and people like the look of the smaller dish on the house

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..