Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guinness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2015, 22:16   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Star Wars

So..over the last week or so the phenomena that is Star Wars has been dissected to death…

Poncey, southern nancy, film critics spouting gobbledegook platitudes, newspapers running silly season fillers and pullouts..

Tell you what, way back in 1977 when I watched it wide eyed..

I was used to watching science fiction, usually ‘b’ movies (the thing, quatermass, the invaders etc..) that were more comedy than sci-fi. Wobbly sets, poor dialogue laced with nonsensical scientific terms, actors in silly uniforms, obvious rubber costumed bad guys that you rarely saw until the last 10 minutes of the film.

Along comes Star Wars….basically cowboys and indians in space.

Instead of the bad guy in a black hat and mask…erm…a bad guy in a black hat and mask combination.

Instead of a covered wagon crossing the space of monument valley…a spaceship crossing…erm…the monumental vastness of space.

Instead of the guy in a white hat rescuing the settlers from the baddies…erm..a guy in a white twinset rescuing a princess from the baddies.

What set this film apart for me…were the special effects, (these were the days when people were blown away by pong and tank commander consoles in pubs), the fact that you saw the bad guys from the outset, and, most importantly for me, how George Lucas managed to get me to suspend belief for 2 hours and accept that despite the fact there was a galactic empire with hundreds of massive spaceships and lasers, a guy with a sword who spoke to a ghost kicked the crud out of them.
steve2qec likes this.
Old 18-12-2015, 22:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Star Wars

You seen it yet Guinness?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 22:50   #3

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
You seen it yet Guinness?
Nope...there is no way that it can live up to modern day hype....I'll watch it when the furore has died down and hopefully it will suspend my belief once again and I can enjoy it as the escapism it's meant to be
Old 19-12-2015, 01:16   #4
God Member

I never saw any of the original star wars films and I doubt if I will bother with this one.
Blade Runner is my sort of sci-fi

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 08:29   #5
Senior Member+

Star Wars

As a sequel I thought the writers had been lazy, not enough original story and some things just don't fit with the characters (hard to explain without spoilers) still enjoyed it though.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..