Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2012, 17:21   #1

The Cure

I'm not expecting much response from this thread - did anyone watch Robert Smith opening the Reading Festival on BBC3 on Friday night - I've loved the Cure for years and although Robert is ageing not very well although he has to present the image with the makeup and backcombed black hair I think he still has the ability to pull a crowd - it was fantastic to see the very young audience singing along with a man who's been going for over thirty years - he is a fantastic poet as well as a musician and he made my night for me, I just love him and his music - I just wanted to share my feelings and experience!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2012, 21:38   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Cure

Never watched it, But The Cure aint bad. theres been much worse about.
Old 26-08-2012, 22:27   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I'm not expecting much response from this thread - did anyone watch Robert Smith opening the Reading Festival on BBC3 on Friday night - I've loved the Cure for years and although Robert is ageing not very well although he has to present the image with the makeup and backcombed black hair I think he still has the ability to pull a crowd - it was fantastic to see the very young audience singing along with a man who's been going for over thirty years - he is a fantastic poet as well as a musician and he made my night for me, I just love him and his music - I just wanted to share my feelings and experience!
I've never really been able to digest his music but occasionally with time a couple of his songs are a bit OK with a bit of effort in the liking. I saw him on TV last year or something he's still trying to maintain the image he had in the 80's - bit silly really - similar to the guy with the bloated face - Pete Burns.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 23:14   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
bit silly really - similar to the guy with the bloated face - Pete Burns.
Thanks for that, Kes - not! never heard of him till now but nearly threw up when I saw this...

Pete Burns: 'My face might fall off but I'll keep having plastic surgery' | Mail Online

I used to think no one could beat Michael Jackson for nausea quotient but this comes close!
Old 27-08-2012, 00:03   #5
God Member

been watching The Reading festival for a few hours now, The Foo Fighters made it i thought, i caught 'friday i'm in love' by The Cure, he has aged loads but he definately still has it
Old 27-08-2012, 11:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I've never really been able to digest his music but occasionally with time a couple of his songs are a bit OK with a bit of effort in the liking. I saw him on TV last year or something he's still trying to maintain the image he had in the 80's - bit silly really - similar to the guy with the bloated face - Pete Burns.
He does look daft but I suppose he's in a bit of a catch 22 situation - without the hair and makeup he wouldn't really be the Cure, I'm sure he knows full well that he's a mess - at least I hope he does!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 11:14   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
He does look daft but I suppose he's in a bit of a catch 22 situation - without the hair and makeup he wouldn't really be the Cure, I'm sure he knows full well that he's a mess - at least I hope he does!

Best thing to do would be end the Cure and get rid of that old image and start a new band with everything fresh and of his age. That said the nature of the music business; people love nostalgia and he's probably gonna make more money carrying on as the Cure even if he looks stupid, than starting a fresh which may not attract the punters.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..