Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 20:45   #1
Senior Member+

Question The Great British Story:A People's History.

Just watching this program on BBC2 and there was a section of it filmed in Accrington, about the Accrington Pals and Rememberance service at Oak Hill Park War Memorial.

Anybody else seen it?

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-08-2012 at 20:49.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2012, 20:55   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: The Great British Story:A People's History.

I didn't see it but I do remember there was a thread about it last Remembrance Day.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...1-a-59864.html
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye & it covered quite a few other things as well, it was okay to a point but being the BBC, the focus, to my mind was slightly skewed & not entirely neutral in their views.
Old 11-08-2012, 15:53   #4

History series. Michael Wood takes an overview of events between the jubilees of 1897 and 2012, which saw Britain undergo huge social changes.

BBC iPlayer - The Great British Story: A People's History: Modern Britain
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19   #5
Resting in Peace

There was quite a good documentary on BBC2 last night about London and how music had an influence on its culture
Old 12-08-2012, 13:47   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aye & it covered quite a few other things as well, it was okay to a point but being the BBC, the focus, to my mind was slightly skewed & not entirely neutral in their views.
It wasn't made by the BBC, but by a firm called Mayavision International, they contacted me over 12 months ago about my display at the Haworth, they were supposed to be including it in film, guess what they turned up on a monday when the Haworth was closed, contacted me and apologised, and would let me know when a camera man was available on the days when the Haworth was open, they contacted me some time later, apologised again, they had run out of time. Every week they sent me a reminder when the series would be on.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:57   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
It wasn't made by the BBC, but by a firm called Mayavision International, be on.
Was that just the Pals/Accrington section, or the whole series Walter ? I make the point because my reference to the Beeb was due to it being aired on the BBC & the underlying tone of the programme.
Old 12-08-2012, 18:04   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Was that just the Pals/Accrington section, or the whole series Walter ? I make the point because my reference to the Beeb was due to it being aired on the BBC & the underlying tone of the programme.
Lots of BBC programmes are made by independent companies.

Not having seen the programme I can't be sure, but I reckon the tone of the programme was probably down to Michael Wood.

Used to like him years ago but can't watch him these days, he reminds me too much of Tony Blair.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:21   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
The whole series. Michael Woods is one of the owners of Mayavision.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..