Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2011, 19:24   #1
God Member

The Iron Lady ....

Ok ... I like Meryl Streep ... as Hollywood goes, she ain't all that bad ... but Streep as Thatcher? I know she will probably do a decent job ... trailer don't look all that bad. But were there no British actors able to handle the role? I mean, it's as dumb as having Jeff Chandler as Cochise Or Edward G. Robinson in "The Ten Commandments I for one had never realized that Cochise was Jewish And does anyone trust a yank to do "justice" to the Iron Lady ... I hope we don't get Maggie the heroine, instead of Maggie the Bitch that she was, and probably still is
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2011, 20:54   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Iron Lady ....

yeh disappointed me mate, i'd hoped wi the thread title she had croaked.
Old 15-11-2011, 21:13   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah ... when she croaks the thread will be in the over-18s so that all her fans can deliver obits in forthright language. Still think that they should bury her now ... and do it face down so that if she tries to claw her way out, she will end up where she belongs; and I don't mean Australia
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 21:26   #4
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
is she still around,,,there will be plenty of buntin out up north.
Old 15-11-2011, 21:38   #5
God Member

She'll probably croak when she finds out the Tory leader in Hyndburn has seconded a motion supporting terrorist organisations currently involved in killing British troops.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 21:55   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
She'll probably croak when she finds out the Tory leader in Hyndburn has seconded a motion supporting terrorist organisations currently involved in killing British troops.
If that had to occur T,i would change my opinion of the man, n even send him a "Thank You" card.
Old 15-11-2011, 22:18   #7
God Member

I hope she don't croak too soon, Cashy, because it's going to be a state funeral and you wouldn't want to pay for that out of your taxes, would you?
Old 15-11-2011, 22:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I hope she don't croak too soon, Cashy, because it's going to be a state funeral and you wouldn't want to pay for that out of your taxes, would you?
Sod me taxes,i'll pay fer it meself.
Old 15-11-2011, 22:34   #9
Give, give, give member

I think Lindsay Duncan did a good job the other year, in the B.B.C. drama Margaret.

'I loathe Margaret Thatcher,' says actress playing former PM in new BBC drama | Mail Online

Rate Ms. Streep, but will need convincing she'll pull ol' Thatch off.

Though with her skill's as an actor, she probably will indeed convince me.

I detested Thatcher when she was on the throne, and all she stood for.

I've mentioned before, I did meet her the once, about twelve years ago. I was invited to a dinner, upstairs in a private dining room at the Carlton Club. Twelve diners at one table, and I was sat straight facing her.

Much to my suprise, I genuinely found her to be good company. She was interested in what I had to say, she was intelligent, and had a very dry sense of humour. Still hate her politics mind, but I did warm to her as a person. Though with hindsight, you do have to admire her dog's dangly bits, compared to today's weak as dishwater political leaders, especially when dealing with our E.U. 'brothers'.

Odd, when your perceptions are challenged.

Always thought Enoch Powell would be a monster, and he was a quiet, kind, gent. Whereas someone I admired growing up, David Bowie turned out to be a supercilious, vacuous, snob.

I look forward to seeing this film, and hope my preconceptions can be similarly challenged.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 22:36   #10
God Member

Isn't she still an honourary vice-president of Blackburn Rovers? I wonder if they'll scatter her ashes over Ewood Park, alongside some Venky Fried Chicken bones, with Jaysay performing the ceremony.
Old 15-11-2011, 22:38   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think Lindsay Duncan did a good job the other year, in the B.B.C. drama Margaret.
I was thinking of that after I read Eric's first post.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 22:45   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Isn't she still an honourary vice-president of Blackburn Rovers? I wonder if they'll scatter her ashes over Ewood Park, alongside some Venky Fried Chicken bones, with Jaysay performing the ceremony.
She was in the seventies. Don't know about now.

She'd be good in a pickle.

Old 15-11-2011, 22:53   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She was in the seventies. Don't know about now.

She'd be good in a pickle.
Err..wasn't it a case of honourary VP for life?

And wasn't Ted Heath an honourary VP of Burnley FC?

No wonder they couldn't stand the sight of each other...Dingles v Rovers, a dirty war fought out in the dark corridors of Westminster.
Old 15-11-2011, 23:06   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Err..wasn't it a case of honourary VP for life?

And wasn't Ted Heath an honourary VP of Burnley FC?

No wonder they couldn't stand the sight of each other...Dingles v Rovers, a dirty war fought out in the dark corridors of Westminster.
Yup, you're right, seems she's still Honorary Vice President.

If she's not in a pickle, they might set her on fire, and float her down the Ganges instead.

Old 15-11-2011, 23:14   #15
God Member

Or she could end up as a goddess, with eight arms. They could then stick up a statue of her in Whitehall, or maybe outside the Darwin End.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..