Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By BOB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The Longest Day

Just noticed it's back on the T.V. on film4,

That means it will be shown several times over the next few weeks, so no panic to try and catch it first time around.

Got to say though, it is an absolutely fantastic, star studded film, it's supposed to have been the most expensive B&W film ever made, worth every penny though.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2014, 16:37   #2
Super Moderator

Re: The Longest Day

Cheers for the heads up, Less. Remember my Dad taking me to see it at the Odeon on Broadway. Was well impressed, but never seen it since. Looking forward to that!
Old 03-05-2014, 14:36   #3
BOB

They once showed the longest day in colour but cant find it anywhere
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 15:37   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB View Post
There are bits on web pages relating to that film and they are in colour.
Another piece of historical falsehood, portraying the septics winning the war for us AGAIN.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 15:38   #5

The Longest Day

Quote:

???
Old 03-05-2014, 15:45   #6

The Longest Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There are bits on web pages relating to that film and they are in colour.

Another piece of historical falsehood, portraying the septics winning the war for us AGAIN.

Which one?

They were late for both, but without their input can you accurately state what the results would have been?
Old 03-05-2014, 17:01   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Which one?

They were late for both, but without their input can you accurately state what the results would have been?
There has been a series on Tele about WW1 and from what was shown germany was near the end of its tether long before the septic tanks showed up, jerry decided to make one last effort in March 1918 before the septics could get their act together, that big push came to a halt, stopped by the British, Canadian, Australian & French, from then on jerry was walking backwards to germany, the septics did nowt but criticised the previous 3 years, wouldn't take any advice from the British or French, then to cap it all repeated the very same errors they'd criticised us for and lost 1000's of men in the process.
Old 03-05-2014, 17:14   #8

The Longest Day

So, your answer is no, I can't accurately state what would have happened without their input, because like the rest of us, you live in a world that had a couple of major conflicts they did get involved in.
Would you like to invite the Germans to a replay so long as we promise we will not allow the Americans to join in on our side?
In fact if you are really confident of a win for our side, we will let them have the yanks as substitutes halfway through the match and we will throw in all the troops supplied by the Empire just to make sure we prove we can do it on our own.

I am proud of all that fought in the conflicts to ensure my freedom, even if some of them did chew gum!
Old 03-05-2014, 17:42   #9

Quote:
Yes there is a colour version. The film was actually shot in black and white. The coloured version was created by a very clever bit of computer reprocessing, which (technically) worked very well except for the bits where there is a lot of smoke or dust flying round. Its not the only film that has been coloured this way. At the time I think Hollywood was a bit short of new ideas and planned to produce 'new versions' of several old but popular films. Having seen both the coloured and the b/w versions I think the director was right to choose b/w.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 17:51   #10
God Member

Come to think of it, the Russians put more effort into both world wars than the yanks did.

However ... I first saw the movie in Paris (school trip) under the title of "Le Jour de Plus Long".

And it's wrong to be too critical of the Americans. As Churchill observed: "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing ... after they have tried everything else."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 18:07   #11

The Longest Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Come to think of it, the Russians put more effort into both world wars than the yanks did.

However ... I first saw the movie in Paris (school trip) under the title of "Le Jour de Plus Long".

And it's wrong to be too critical of the Americans. As Churchill observed: "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing ... after they have tried everything else."

I wouldn't have dared mentioned the Russians, after all in the first conflict match was abandoned because of slight disagreements within their own supporters club.
As for their involvement in the second a bit of a surprise for them when the Germans invaded their pitch during their dividing the spoils of Poland whilst licking their wounds from losing what should have been a walk over in a friendly against Finland where they had a team of something like ten players to one.
Old 03-05-2014, 19:21   #12
I am Banned

I didn't say no, but jerry found out to his cost that he couldn't beat us fighting so he's changed his tactics, he's now got us by the goolies with politics, they now rule more than they ever hoped in two WW's, aided by the very people who cried to us for help.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I didn't say no, but jerry found out to his cost that he couldn't beat us fighting so he's changed his tactics, he's now got us by the goolies with politics, they now rule more than they ever hoped in two WW's, aided by the very people who cried to us for help.
I can't disagree with your summing up of what has happened since 1945, (though I bet 95% of our local MP probably would) however I do think it wrong to dismiss the Americans efforts during the two global conflicts in the manner you do.
Old 04-05-2014, 14:07   #14
BOB

THE LONGEST DAY IN COLOUR THE LONGEST DAY-COLOUR VERSION 1962 JOHN WAYNE RICHARD TODD ROBERT MITCHUM DVD
Less likes this.
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:03   #15

The Longest Day

Well, it was on again today, thought I'd watch it again just to see the result (a bit like plenty of folk watch the 1966 World Cup).

The most annoying thing about it is that despite it being 70 years since they lost, the Germans insist on talking in sub-titles, why haven't they learnt anything from their mistakes?

Speak English and you'll win the next one!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..