Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 22:57   #1
God Member

Torchwood , new series

the new series started last night (its on pay cable here in the US and we got a free preview of the first episode last night )
Don't think I will be watching it , its only got two of the originals actors in it, all the rest are American and most of it is set in the US as well , struck me as more of a typical US hollywood 'glossy' show ( all young good looking actors) .
Anyone care to comment
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2011, 23:04   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Torchwood , new series

never heard of it.
Old 09-07-2011, 23:10   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
never heard of it.
Its a BBC production , think it was a spinoff from Dr Who , sci-fi type show , thinks its been going about 4 or 5 yrs , only saw it myself last year when BBC America started airing it ....typical Bubblegum television , easy on the brain
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14   #4
Resting in Peace

heard of it SJ, but seeing I don't watch Dr Who, I won't be watching the spin off
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53   #5
God Member

I'm looking forward to it coming back on.

Hopefully it'll be as good as the series that was on before!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass View Post

Ah a fan, that explains a lot.
Old 10-07-2011, 20:02   #7

I watched a few episodes of the first series and stopped. It wasn't awful, I just can't take John Barrowman seriously.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 20:54   #8
Beacon of light

I can't take John Barrowman seriously either.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 16:53   #9
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass View Post

The first two series were basically the producers of Doctor Who getting all the gay sex and swearing out of their system but the third series was one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen.

I'll be watching the start of the new series tonight but my gut feelings aren't good. Take a series like that to America and all you do is lose it in a sea of things which have been on longer and have been done better.

Time will tell but I think the UK viewers will come away feeling robbed of something home grown.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:17   #10
Common Sense Member

My fears confirmed.

All the scenes in Wales were annotated with captions so that the poor Americans would be able to understand that there are other countries in the world, the direction was bog standard US camerawork and to top it all we had a 'season trailer' to insult all the viewers who might possibly just want to wait and see how the story unfolds each week.

They've sold out, I can't see there being a series 5.

On the plus side, the scenes with the mutilated suicide bomber who survived were fascinating stuff. Whatever aspects of production have been sanitised by the good ol' US of A at least the writers have managed to crowbar some remnants of the old Torchwood in there.

Old 15-07-2011, 09:30   #11

I gave it a chance - but I remember now why I never continued watching it before. A potentially good storyline spoiled by a strange mix of 'CBBC standard drama' and explosions; and in addition now to some overdramatic Yankee acting.

And John Barrowman - I keep expecting him to break out into song and dance. He has some offbeat twenty-something spiky haircut despite the fact that he's clearly well over 40 - it screams attention seeking actor rather than mysterious lone ranger.

I'm not a doctor who fan per se, but I admire the fact that it knows what it is. It doesn't take itself too seriously. Torchwood needs to figure out what it is and go one way or the other; rather than being a watered down version of everything.

^ The suicide bomber scene with the pliers was good, but apart from that it just felt forced.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:13   #12
Common Sense Member

A sub-standard story drawn out over 10 long weeks to appease the Americans. The whole idea of the knock-on effects of The Miracle was forgotten after a few episodes and the finale ended with a typical 'hoping for another series' cliffhanger that just left the viewers feeling robbed.

Very very disappointing stuff after series 3 nicely rounded off the Torchwood story.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..