Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 18:40   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Trouble on t' Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Now there's a thing can't say I've heard of that before susie, very interesting, funny it should happen in Blackburn yet I know that there are these type of flats still in use elsewhere in the country
well jay,
i remember reading somewhere that historically, accrington & blackburn area was "damp", thats why it was good for the cotton industry!

once again i could be wrong, just remember reading something about it once
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2012, 18:42   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
well jay,
i remember reading somewhere that historically, accrington & blackburn area was "damp", thats why it was good for the cotton industry!

once again i could be wrong, just remember reading something about it once
Could well be right, I've just looked out the window, don't know about damp, looks very wet to me
Old 10-09-2012, 19:10   #18
Senior Member+

I once had a garage with a 6 inch thick concrete roof- like a bomb shelter.
The damp must have worked on the cement, the re-enforcing rods rusted. As they expanded the top layers inside and outside shattered and eventually the whole 6 inch roof cracked right through in several places-it leaked in like mad.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33   #19
Senior Member+

We lived in Shadsworth in the 60's for a couple of years - I also worked in the Co-op in 1977 for a few months - it wasn't that bad, I don't recall any shoplifters!

Last edited by kestrelx; 11-09-2012 at 08:37.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I organised the Art Ball in Shadsworth, in 1982, at the Red Parrot.

Cracking night.

I was dressed as a Peruvian lama herder, with boot polish glasses painted on my face.

The locals were very welcoming.

A little scared, but welcoming.
Any gay bashers? Where abouts in Shadsworth was the Red Parrot? On the housing estate?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Any gay bashers? Where abouts in Shadsworth was the Red Parrot? On the housing estate?
Think thats the name the Sett End changed to
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
no they was next door to each other
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
The estate must have changed a lot, I know it was always rough - but when I worked in the Co-op, which was in the middle of the housing estate, I don't recall any trouble with kids or thieves.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
no they was next door to each other
Next Door, I always though The Sett End was a stand alone building, well it was when it was built, they did have an Off Licence though
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40   #25
Senior Member+

last time i drove past, it was a catering supplies place
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27   #26
God Member

it still is and that Rovers place was knocked down a good few years ago and bungalows have been built on the site where it was...on Dunoon Drive
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
it still is and that Rovers place was knocked down a good few years ago and bungalows have been built on the site where it was...on Dunoon Drive
What's at the Co-operative Supermarket now?
Old 11-09-2012, 17:46   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
I know its not their now Shaz, think your right about the bungalows, but if they were private couldn't see anybody in their right mind buying one there
Old 11-09-2012, 17:52   #29

I moved to Shadsworth in 1957 when I was eighteen months old and the houses were newly built - I have photographs of my dad digging in the garden and in the background you can see houses being built and the roads being surfaced. I lived there until I was twelve when my parents bought their own house at the other side of town. Shadsworth was a lovely place in the 1950's and early 60's, I have some very happy childhood memories, but even then there were rough areas where I wasn't allowed to go.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:04   #30
Full Member+

I too moved to Shadsworth in the mid 50s. we left Carlisle St, from a two up two down with outside toilet to a brand new house at Shadsworth with indoor toilet AND a bathroom , this was sheer bliss. Like AnneSingleton I have very happy memories of those years , photos of me playing in garden and in the background Arran Avenue being built. New schools were there and the junior school was not ready for our admission , so us juniors were then taught at the "wood hut " ( tenants went to pay their rents there ) until the school was ready. once we were there the Senior school was built. I left Shad in 1977 and moved to Accrington with my new husband.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..