Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2012, 18:39   #1
Resting in Peace

Vera

Did anybody watch the new cop series on ITV1 last night set in the North East, staring Brenda Blethyn, as a detective, didn't really fancy it but the other have wanted to watch and I was quite surprised, quite good really
Old 23-04-2012, 21:16   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Vera

Vera Duckworth - I haven't seen her in a while. She must be good if she can change to a North East accent.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 15:48   #3
God Member

Saw the trailers for this last week -looked interesting. Brenda Blethyn is a great actress, have seen in her in a few interesting films, she does quite a lot of alternative, non-mainstream work.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 17:22   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Saw the trailers for this last week -looked interesting. Brenda Blethyn is a great actress, have seen in her in a few interesting films, she does quite a lot of alternative, non-mainstream work.
I saw some of the last series, thought it a bit slow.

How much do you think they get paid for staring in one of those detective series - like Morse, Frost etc etc on average? I don't know at a guess I'd say about £250,000 for a series!

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-04-2012 at 17:24.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 17:36   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I saw some of the last series, thought it a bit slow.

How much do you think they get paid for staring in one of those detective series - like Morse, Frost etc etc on average? I don't know at a guess I'd say about £250,000 for a series!
Think your a bit off target kestrelx some extras get as much as £1000 for one day
Old 24-04-2012, 20:17   #6
God Member

I have a friend who does extra work on Corrie for £100 a day! If she appears it's for a few seconds with nothing to say...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 20:55   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think your a bit off target kestrelx some extras get as much as £1000 for one day
Who told you that? is that for films or TV there is a difference - films have bigger budgets than some TV stuff.
Old 24-04-2012, 21:03   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I have a friend who does extra work on Corrie for £100 a day! If she appears it's for a few seconds with nothing to say...
Well that's 900 less than Jaysay said!
Old 25-04-2012, 08:41   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well that's 900 less than Jaysay said!
My other have has been a TV extra for 7 or 8 years now and I do know just a little about what they get paid
Old 25-04-2012, 11:28   #10

This is the second series but I've given up on it as they haven't got the accents right, there's some background here

The Vera Stanhope books, by Ann Cleeves
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 17:44   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
This is the second series but I've given up on it as they haven't got the accents right, there's some background here

The Vera Stanhope books, by Ann Cleeves
Somehow I missed the first series wadey, doesn't even ring a bell, thought it was new, thanks for the like
Old 25-04-2012, 23:17   #12

Not a bad programme, saved mainly by a good performance by Brenda Blethyn.

But it gets on my nerves when the plots don't add up, characters don't react in a realistic way or a character doesn't reveal an important piece of evidence until the last 10 mins.

Like in Sunday's episode when the policeman's daughter who was in the fire buried the body of the main suspect. I thought he'd died when they were making petrol bombs so it was an accident and she had done nothing wrong, so why get rid of the body?

And why didn't the woman who was pregnant by the suspected man tell the police that she had spoken to the woman who had buried him?

It could be cut down to an hour.

There's only one TV tec for me and that's Morse. They were well written, beautifully filmed and John Thaw was perfectly cast. One of the best shows ever on British TV.

I'd give an honourable mention to Juliet Bravo as well. Local locations and simple, well written drama about old fashioned bobbies on the beat.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 08:53   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post

But it gets on my nerves when the plots don't add up, characters don't react in a realistic way or a character doesn't reveal an important piece of evidence until the last 10 mins.

Like in Sunday's episode when the policeman's daughter who was in the fire buried the body of the main suspect. I thought he'd died when they were making petrol bombs so it was an accident and she had done nothing wrong, so why get rid of the body?

And why didn't the woman who was pregnant by the suspected man tell the police that she had spoken to the woman who had buried him?

There's only one TV tec for me and that's Morse. They were well written, beautifully filmed and John Thaw was perfectly cast. One of the best shows ever on British TV.

I'd give an honourable mention to Juliet Bravo as well. Local locations and simple, well written drama about old fashioned bobbies on the beat.
I agree about Juliet Bravo, I was actually based in Bacup when they were making that series and they used Bacup nick as to outside shots for the program, often saw some of the actors in and about the town at the time
Old 26-04-2012, 23:15   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I agree about Juliet Bravo, I was actually based in Bacup when they were making that series and they used Bacup nick as to outside shots for the program, often saw some of the actors in and about the town at the time
I bet you saw it from the inside of a cell! You were based in side!
Old 26-04-2012, 23:18   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post

Was that a repeat then as I'm sure there was a plot with a woman being burnt in a fire in the last one.

Morse is one of the best. Frost is a cool runner up and the original Taggart was very gritty - "there's been a murder!" a classic line!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..