Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 23:24   #1
God Member

What was he last film you saw at the cinema?

Haven't been to the cinema for ages.

Thinking back, the last film i saw there was "Invictus" about the South African Rugby World Cup where SA wins, tied in with Nelson Mandela's story. Really interesting film which got you involved in the times and events. Wonderful performances by Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman.

Generally watch films on SKY though, occasionally, i wonder why we keep paying for it as there's nothing new. Last interesting film here was "The Fighter" -not usually my thing - about boxing and White Trash America, but it was based on a true story, without sentimentalism, and rang true. Great Christian Bale (oscar) and Mark Wahlberg (over-shadowed even though he was the "Star".

What was the last film you saw at the cinema?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2012, 23:29   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: What was he last film you saw at the cinema?

Honestly don't recall,twas before they banned smoking.
Old 10-03-2012, 00:13   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Haven't been to the cinema for ages.

Thinking back, the last film i saw there was "Invictus" about the South African Rugby World Cup where SA wins, tied in with Nelson Mandela's story. Really interesting film which got you involved in the times and events. Wonderful performances by Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman.

Generally watch films on SKY though, occasionally, i wonder why we keep paying for it as there's nothing new. Last interesting film here was "The Fighter" -not usually my thing - about boxing and White Trash America, but it was based on a true story, without sentimentalism, and rang true. Great Christian Bale (oscar) and Mark Wahlberg (over-shadowed even though he was the "Star".

What was the last film you saw at the cinema?
The last cinema I ever went in was the Princess Cinema in Edgar St, when it burnt down.
Can't see the point in going to a cinema to watch the latest film, just be patient & it will be on the box, then record it, & watch it at leisure.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49   #5
Senior Member+

The King's Speech at one of those multiplexes.

I was surprised how expensive it was, and the drinks and popcorn on sale were a rip off.

Enjoyed the film, though.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52   #6
Senior Member+

It's over 35 years since I last went to the cinema and that was at the Empire in Blackburn, which is now the Thwaites Empire Theatre.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09   #7
Give, give, give member

I went to the premier of this, starring Fish, ten years ago. As I'd done some of the costumes for it.

It was dreadful.

9 Dead Gay Guys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really have no interest in most Hollywood films.

I'd much rather watch my art house/indie films in the comfort of my own home, courtesy of LOVEFiLM.com

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42   #8

I lost interest in going to the cinema years ago. I got fed up of the talkers, noisy popcorn eaters, mobile phone users, and being sat in front of someone who has put their knees in the back of my seat.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51   #9
God Member

My last trip to the 'pictures' was to the old Odeon on Broadway, when it had been converted to house three screens.

The picture was Monty Python's Meaning of Life.
I had to leave during the restaurant vomiting scene.
I reckon nowt to paying to retch!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58   #10
Senior Member+

Last time I went to the cinema was in the late 70's (maybe early 80's) and saw the film "Soldier Blue" at Hull.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34   #11
JFT96

Tinker tailor soilder spy at vue, Walton le dale, Preston last year, with my Dad.
It was nearly as complicated as the book and tv series. But very very good

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38   #12
I am Banned

Ghost rider starring nicholas cage, a very crap film even worse as it was an english film dubbed into thai but with no english subtitles, but nicholas cage doesn,nt have speach thai well, 5555
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39   #13
Resting in Peace

The last film I saw at the cinema was probably The Wild Geese, with Richard Burton and Roger Moore in the mid 70s
Old 10-03-2012, 13:57   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Hamburger Hill" 1987 Not been the fliks since. I'd sooner wait & get the DVD, plus I can watch it in the comfort of my own home without being ripped off for drinks & nibbles or have to put up with other people being annoying or ruining the film.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:28   #15
God Member

Looks like most Accywebbers are not cinema-goers like me. I find the surround sound very off-putting and too noisy.

Went to the cinema in Hebden Bridge 2 years ago with my Aunt and Uncle. They show more alternative films, off the big Hollywood circuit, and some foreign language films with subtitles (we saw a really good french commedy). It's a small old-fashioned cinema and they have something called "Elevenses" where the film starts at 11am and you get a mug of tea or coffee to take in with you and biscuits -very civilised and a really enjoyable experience.
They came round with ice-creams at half time too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..