Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 19:08   #1
JFT96

Worlds scariest plane landings, channel 5

Okay so maybe I am a bit cynical, being in the job and everything. 5 minutes in we have the JetBlue landing into Los Angeles International Airport.
There was a nose gear issue the aircraft a Airbus A320, referred to as a Boeing 737 on the show.....
Says it all, quality broadcasting, to be fair coming from Richard Desmond's empire I should have known.
Tripe, changing channel.

JetBlue Airways Flight 292 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In case you are interested

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2012, 19:44   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Worlds scariest plane landings, channel 5

He must have left the handbrake on , easy mistake to make with all them nobs and buttons to push
Old 12-01-2012, 19:55   #3
JFT96

Nah, it's a Airbus, it has a button for fly and one for land, you don't fly it, the computer decides if it will let you!( I kid you not)
That is why I prefer Boeings, they need flying.

Old 12-01-2012, 22:24   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Nah, it's a Airbus, it has a button for fly and one for land, you don't fly it, the computer decides if it will let you!( I kid you not)
What happens when and Airbus detects a landing gear fault, does it decide you cant ever land?
Old 12-01-2012, 23:08   #5

I was more annoyed that the last 20 minutes was basically a repeat of 'World's Most Extreme Airports' and the full hour programme Ch5 did on the Hudson crash, both broadcast only last year.

Having said that, Ch5 rocks! Ice Road Truckers and Matthew Wright!!!Yeah!!!
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 06:31   #6
JFT96

Not too sure Neil.
What I found insane was the simple facts, type of Aircraft, they could not be bothered to do some easy simple research.
For example Concorde only had Two engines.....
They showed a you tube video...of a Thomson 757 at Manchester that had a bird strike with resulting engine surge/fire, this was a not a paticually dangerous event and was handled in a textbook matter. Yet those fools made it in to a horror movie.
If they wanted to go over some Real scary landings, well there was the United Dc10 at Sioux City, a Aircraft so damaged they should not have been able to land.
The hijacked 767 off the coast of Africa that ran out of fuel and ending up in the drink.
The Airbus that glided into the Azores .
Lazy rubbish journalism at it's worst, just like his so called newspapers....
Richard Desmond has a lot to answer to

Old 13-01-2012, 06:35   #7
JFT96

Toffee Guy:
Quote:
I was more annoyed that the last 20 minutes was basically a repeat of 'World's Most Extreme Airports' and the full hour programme Ch5 did on the Hudson crash, both broadcast only last year.
Intestingly, the Two pilot aircraft that landed on the Hudson, Airbus A320. Apparently only had one pilot and one Cabin Crew.

Old 13-01-2012, 08:49   #8
God Member

I am a relatively frequent flier and quite a nervous passenger, so i wouldn't choose to watch these kind of programmes. Have seen some because my boys like to watch them. It is much safer to travel by plane than by car but with me the issue is lack of control (not that I'm scared the plane will drop out of the sky!) -I'm a bad car passenger too and would much rather be driving!

It doesn't help that I suffer from motion sickness, I have to take drops before travelling and have found by trial and error that the best place for me to sit is just by the wing where I feel the movement less.

As to poor journalism -that's par for the course these days -you have to suspend belief whatever you watch as lazy research serves to diffuse bad information. (Unless of course it's a BBC documentary!)

Accidents are not that common in aviation - but when they do occur tend to be quite disastrous and spectacular which is why journalists love them, they make great news stories.
I wonder BG, during your time as a pilot have you had to deal with any kind of crisis or has it always been plain sailing?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 08:57   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Brings an all new meaning to George
Old 13-01-2012, 08:59   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What happens when and Airbus detects a landing gear fault, does it decide you cant ever land?
No that's only if its part of the Aer Lingus fleet Neil
Old 13-01-2012, 16:53   #11
JFT96

Well planes cannot fall from the sky, at the very worst they glide. Which means you can still land, it may not be nice, but you should survive.

As to incidents, several, from loss of Autopilot, meaning you have to hand fly the plane! To a slow decompression! None have been paticually life threatening. We work very hard to keep it routine and boring!

Your right Accidents are very rare. In 2011 there were 37 fatal accidents, with 515 deaths. I am not to sure how many flights there were, Flight International have not published that number yet, you will have to wait till next week!
Compare that to road deaths!
Or deaths connected to cigarette smoking.

As to being nervous, I would love to invite you into the Flight Deck, but thanks to the Americans I cannot, soooo next time you fly,when you land, ask to say Hhello to the flight crew and tell them you are a bit nervous about flying, they would love to say hi

Old 13-01-2012, 17:57   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well planes cannot fall from the sky, at the very worst they glide. Which means you can still land, it may not be nice, but you should survive.

As to incidents, several, from loss of Autopilot, meaning you have to hand fly the plane! To a slow decompression! None have been paticually life threatening. We work very hard to keep it routine and boring!

Your right Accidents are very rare. In 2011 there were 37 fatal accidents, with 515 deaths. I am not to sure how many flights there were, Flight International have not published that number yet, you will have to wait till next week!
Compare that to road deaths!
Or deaths connected to cigarette smoking.

As to being nervous, I would love to invite you into the Flight Deck, but thanks to the Americans I cannot, soooo next time you fly,when you land, ask to say Hhello to the flight crew and tell them you are a bit nervous about flying, they would love to say hi
Have you ever had any sort of scar BG, back in the 70s I dated a air hostess for a few months and she used to talk about some of the rough rides she had been through. I have only ever flown 6 times in my life 3 round trips and I still have white knuckles to prove it, you might say me and flying just don't mix, its not that I'm frightened of flying or anything its just that I'm scared to death of crashing
Old 13-01-2012, 18:50   #13
JFT96

Jay, I've had a few.
In Africa, going down to the Congo, some of the worst thunderstorms in the world, what a night a 600 mile diversion.
The worst though was flying over Spain, I was a newish First Officer, we hit Severe Turbulance, our food trays were on the dashboard ( for want of a better word) and we lost breakfast over the windows!
The capt asked me to look at the wings, they were flapping around!! I was genuinely scared, he explained that the wing is designed o flex up and down, to around 30ft in either direction.
Kind of put my mind at rest

Old 13-01-2012, 20:59   #14
God Member

I'm not scared as I've been flying regularly since the age of 7 -first hols in Greece.

Control freaks don't make good passengers.

Have visited the cockpit when it was still allowed and took my boys when young on BA flights -where they got special kids packs with crayons etc.

Don't "enjoy" flying though -mainly because of the hassle and stress of the check-in etc.

Parents spent 10.000 recently and flew business class to NZ to visit my sister -said it was fantastic. I can't afford it -so, unless Cilla jumps out and sends me over, I'll limit my trips too Tenerife, where parents live, and the UK for the peace of my heart and soul!

My son has a colleague who has taken him up in a small aircraft -he said it was sublime...may try it one day. Imagine gliding is the absolute tops for fliers!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:02   #15
Senior Member+

30 foot deflection OH MY GOD if i looked out of the window and saw that i would s### my self

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..