Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Accrington Forum News
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Forum News Read about the latest happenings on our site.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2004, 09:50   #1
Roy
Administrator

Arrow Editing messages is no longer allowed.

Due to Doug ruining various threads by posting and then editing his post, I have disallowed editing again. I know a lot of you use this to correct mistakes etc. but when people ruin entire threads by using this feature it really annoys me and others. If people cannot make a post and stand by what they say then DO NOT POST. In the next few days when I have finally moved and my family are settled here then I will make an option that allows trusted users to edit.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2004, 10:14   #2

Re: Editing messages is no longer allowed.

I see what you mean. I was looking at the thread grooming under general chat
And noticed that a good number of posts have been covered up. I wondered what had happened to them.
Shane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 10:20   #3
God Member

I use editing a lot.. in fact a hell of a lot.. being slightly illiterate I always miss summat sily no matter how much I double check... Now I cant change it later... Cheers Doug
Old 31-07-2004, 10:40   #4
Senior Member+

ok ok but is rewriting the exact same post underneath with spelling corrections is allowed?
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 10:45   #5
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Due to Doug ruining various threads by posting and then editing his post, I have disallowed editing again. I know a lot of you use this to correct mistakes etc. but when people ruin entire threads by using this feature it really annoys me and others. If people cannot make a post and stand by what they say then DO NOT POST. In the next few days when I have finally moved and my family are settled here then I will make an option that allows trusted users to edit.
That’s fine Roy, I except responsibility for my own actions and with hindsight I can see your point. But I do believe that to punish others for my actions is either right or acceptable in an open forum.

I believe the rights of other members to use the editing feature should be restored immediately and any further action should be directed directly against me. If that result in a ban so be it, but don’t take it out on others.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 11:18   #6
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
I believe the rights of other members to use the editing feature should be restored immediately and any further action should be directed directly against me. If that result in a ban so be it, but don’t take it out on others.
Everyone else will have the right to edit when I sort it out. Don't you go turning this around on me! I don't have time for your annoyances, I have just returned home to accy from 3 years in russia and am very very busy preparing for my family to arrive here on Monday. I have already had to spend time making changes because of YOUR actions - I aint changing them back till I have time.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 11:44   #7
Caz
God Member

Quote:
But I do believe that to punish others for my actions is either right or acceptable in an open forum.
Seeing as you seem to be an expert as to what is right on an open forum, it seems strange that it took hindsight to realise that what you were doing, thread after thread, was totally out of order??

When editing is done to the extent you have done, in some instances it can have the effect of making another person look silly, which ain't fair. It can make a total nonsense of some threads. And it's particulary silly when people have quoted you in these threads, and that is still there, plain to see, so then what was the point?

It seems that by removing posts that you seem to be embarassed about that you have totally drawn attention to yourself in an adverse way. Odd isn't it?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 11:45   #8
Member.

I accept responsibility for my own Irresponsible actions Roy, I did not intend to turn this on you, I apologise whole heartedly for that.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 15:20   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have to agree with Roy on this one as I don't like to be made to look daft by other people, I'm very good at doing that all by myself....
I do hope in the future that I will be considered a trusted member, as everybody will be fed up of reading my smelling pistakes by then

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 15:36   #10
Resting in Peace

what are we to do AFTER the accyweb meeting all those spelling mistakes and we can't edit them
this is going to be fun
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 15:46   #11
Len
God Member

I think at one time we were given One hour to make any adjustments to our posts.
Maybe we should go back to that again because unfortunately this sort of thing will happen again and then it’s to late.
It has made a right mess of the Grooming thread.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 15:50   #12

Good point mick!! thats it i'm hiding the laptop or will defo be seen as a loo n after all the beer im taking in tonight hehe

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 16:16   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I think at one time we were given One hour to make any adjustments to our posts.
Maybe we should go back to that again because unfortunately this sort of thing will happen again and then it’s to late.
It has made a right mess of the Grooming thread.
thats a good idea
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 22:23   #14
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I would rather read threads with spelling mistakes but it does annoy when people remove or edit their posts for whatever reason but moderators don't be too hard on Doug, the guy has apologised and remember threads can be ruined when you remove members posts.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08   #15
God Member

Roy, Is there any chance of adding a spellchecking facility?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..