Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions and help! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f63/)
-   -   Help with the Spammers: (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f63/help-with-the-spammers-46375.html)

Len 23-03-2009 23:06

Help with the Spammers:

May I say thankyou to everyone that has been reporting the spammers as it really does help us out. It would take forever for us to search out and remove the spammers without your help.

Whenever you do come across a spammers post, please do not quote the spammers post in a reply to them. Better still, do not even reply to the spammer, just report it because when we ban a spammer, especially one that has made multiple posts in multiple threads, we ban and delete all his posts with one push of a button. We don’t even need to see where all his posts have been made. We can sort them remotely.

So as you can imagine, if someone has quoted the spam in their post and then the spammers posts gets remotely removed. They can end up doing the spammers job for them, by displaying what the spammer posted originally etc.

If someone replys to a spammers post and the spammers post again gets remotely deleted, chances are, their reply post will still remain and everyone will be wondering what there going on about. :D

Occasions like what I’ve described are rare. The spammers usually only make one or two posts before we nab them (thanks to you) and its easy for us to check whom may have quoted them or replied to them etc as there’s only been a couple, but from time to time we get the odd spammer who manages to get off half a dozen or so posts before we nab them and for us, it means we have to check/ go backwards and forwards seeing if anyone has quoted them etc.

so if you could help us out once again by not replying to the spammers we would be even more truly grateful.

And before anyone says...... we are getting lazy. :D

:)

cashman 23-03-2009 23:20

Re: Help with the Spammers:

Fair Enough Len will do, i have been guilty of replying occasionally, sorry ******* just irritate me.:D

jaysay 24-03-2009 11:06

You and me alike cashy:(

pipinfort 24-03-2009 13:19

Me too.........

Margaret Pilkington 24-03-2009 13:54

I don't think you are getting lazy at all........I think we all have some responsibility to ensure that these folk are reported.......after all you can't be on watch all the time.

JeanneP2 25-05-2009 20:35

Seems like spamming is getting worse. Looks like someone can figure out how to stop it. Whoever does will become more famous than BILL GATES of MS.
I know that it is beginning to get me away from using E.Mailing now. Even writing more letters by snail mail.

Can't see what the people get out of sending these spams. They need to get a life.

katex 25-05-2009 20:43

Did notice last week, that someone with a very suspicious name came and hung on line without posting. Observed that the mods had been into their profile to check them out. Is this a new way of attacking us, so that us members will be curious enough to look at the profile, then to their contact details etc. ?

entwisi 26-05-2009 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanneP2 (Post 716494)
Seems like spamming is getting worse. Looks like someone can figure out how to stop it. Whoever does will become more famous than BILL GATES of MS.
I know that it is beginning to get me away from using E.Mailing now. Even writing more letters by snail mail.

Can't see what the people get out of sending these spams. They need to get a life.

You need to start using a spam filter. they are very good now and will cut it down by > 90%