Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions and help! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f63/)
-   -   Is there a problem with Accywebb (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f63/is-there-a-problem-with-accywebb-66806.html)

Mog 04-12-2014 08:40

Is there a problem with Accywebb

I am having major problems with Accywebb due to the massive amount of Ads byCouponarific bombarding me with advertisments when I log on to Accywebb. This does not happen with any other programs or sites that I log into. Is it only me or is this a problem with anybody else.

gpick24 04-12-2014 08:47

Re: Is there a problem with Accywebb

1 Attachment(s)
I get an ad banner at the top, nothing too intrusive.

gpick24 04-12-2014 08:49

A quick google suggests it`s adware, strange it only happens here.
A guide to remove here - Remove "Ads by Couponarific" virus (Removal Guide)

cashman 04-12-2014 12:57

I get nowt bothering me Mog.:confused: Yeh dont use I.E. as yer browser by the way? I used to get loads of probs, but switched to Firefox yrs ago.

maxthecollie 05-12-2014 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1125387)
I get nowt bothering me Mog.:confused: Yeh dont use I.E. as yer browser by the way? I used to get loads of probs, but switched to Firefox yrs ago.

So did I change to firefox

Margaret Pilkington 05-12-2014 13:48

Me too......had very few problems(I am touching wood) since ditching IE.

DtheP47 05-12-2014 16:43

I think the ad banner somehow latches onto cookies or your browser history. It's pretty innocuous mine advertising google adwords at the minute. It changes at every log in. I think Less once told me it finances some of the running costs of the site ??

Less 05-12-2014 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1125478)
I think the ad banner somehow latches onto cookies or your browser history. It's pretty innocuous mine advertising google adwords at the minute. It changes at every log in. I think Less once told me it finances some of the running costs of the site ??

Only if you actually click on the ad.

Mog 07-12-2014 14:22

Because i am not as bright as some of you guys. Why does it only happen on my PC and not on my IPad.

cashman 07-12-2014 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1125637)
Because i am not as bright as some of you guys. Why does it only happen on my PC and not on my IPad.

I'm as thick as two short planks mate, as far as internet goes,:D

Less 07-12-2014 14:24

Could be that your ipad doesn't connect through Internet Explorer?

Mick 07-12-2014 18:29

And it's a different operating system altogether

Studio25 08-12-2014 11:29

Every mention of ipad in this thread has become a link to the Currys website. Those get added by SkimWords, on the accyweb server side, and are relatively innocuous adverts (although you need to hover the mouse cursor over the link to see it's been added by the adware rather than a genuine link supplied by the person making the post).

If you're getting something more obtrusive than that, it's most likely an infection on your PC. I have the ad-blocker plugin on my main browser (Firefox) so I don't see banners, but I've just tried looking at this thread via Internet Explorer and there's just one banner ad at the top and another after your first post. This is no different to any other ad-supported forum that I use, so if AW is behaving strangely, it's a localised problem on your PC.

I'm going to hazard a guess and suggest that you have a search-replacement (proxy) infection and it's going nuts on AW because of all the links that get inserted by SkimWords.

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-12-2014 18:45

I would suggest giving your computer a clean with Malwarebytes Anti Malware and make sure your anti-virus is up to date. I use IE and don't find it as much of a problem as some of you folks do. I have to use IE a lot of the time because that is what my customers use.

The thing I find most annoying these days is that many websites (not Accy Web) are using popup ads, javascript ads and fancy server side software to serve us all kinds of garbage. While all this is going on, the actual content of the page is lost amongst all of this rubbish and people think the blame lies with the browsers whereas actually, it is down to bad coding practices by 'experts' who ain't got a clue.