Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions and help! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f63/)
-   -   Accrington Web? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f63/accrington-web-71399.html)

cashman 22-11-2020 19:04

Accrington Web?

I have had to get a new browser on advice from people who know a damn site more than i do, WHY does it say NOT SECURE in the heading of the site at the very top ? i am unable now to download Adobe Flash for the purpose of playing games:confused: i need this new browser cos firefox will not give me the Stanley Match to watch,its cost me £30 recently for the last 3 games which i have paid for but NOT been able to watch.

Margaret Pilkington 22-11-2020 19:24

Re: Accrington Web?

Cashy what browser are you using?

cashman 22-11-2020 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1247098)
Cashy what browser are you using?

will tell yeh in couple of mins Margaret cant remember will shut down and come right back on again

cashman 22-11-2020 19:44

Microsoft Edge margaret i never heard of it but its done the trick for me i can now watch Stanley.

Margaret Pilkington 22-11-2020 20:23

oh glad you got ot the bottom of it.
It also says'not secure' on my computer but I have IBM Rapport on for this site.
I have heard of it but thought it was for phones and the x box.

Hill Walker 22-11-2020 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1247094)
I have had to get a new browser on advice from people who know a damn site more than i do, WHY does it say NOT SECURE in the heading of the site at the very top ? i am unable now to download Adobe Flash for the purpose of playing games:confused: i need this new browser cos firefox will not give me the Stanley Match to watch,its cost me £30 recently for the last 3 games which i have paid for but NOT been able to watch.

You may or may not need to use Microsoft Edge to watch the football on that I cannot comment BUT there is no reason why you cannot use Firefox for other sites with which you have not previously had problems. You can use both (but preferably not at the same time) the only hassle would be that both will want to be your DEFAULT browser and will ask you each time they are started if they may become the default - just say no to the one you use the least. The other thing to remember is that if you have a web address somewhere like in an email and you just click on it then the default browser is the one that will handle it. The way to avoid this is to copy the web address to your clipboard start the browser you want and then paste the address onto the search box of the browser you want to use it.

dotti34 22-11-2020 21:55

It also says 'not secure' on my computer when I go on the Accrington Web site, has done for quite a while now.

Margaret Pilkington 22-11-2020 22:39

I think this just means that others could see what you are viewing.
A bit like when you are using public wi-fi via a hotspot....but I am sure I will be corrected if I am off beam.

Hill Walker 22-11-2020 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1247104)
It also says 'not secure' on my computer when I go on the Accrington Web site, has done for quite a while now.

The Accrington Web site does not (yet) implement a secure web connection which would be indicated by a https://www.accringtonweb.com address and is therefore reguarded as insecure by most web browsers and the warning indicates this. In the short term this is not serious as no financial transactions or other sensitive data is being passed across. After all you want people to see your posts, the easy way is for them to simply use the web site as you do, the hard way is for them to intercept your insecure connection but why bother its all publically available anyway.

In the longer term it will become a problem as most web browsers will gradually start to refuse to connect because they will fail to establish a secure encrypted connection. I assume however that the site admins are aware of this and will take care of it in due course.

Hill Walker 22-11-2020 23:14

RE POST #9 ABOVE
I should have also said that if you see that warning on any web site such as a financial, shopping, or medical similar site you should stop and think very hard before you continue. You are probably risking giving away your credit card details, sensitive medical data or similar to someone who is trying to steal it and will use it for criminal purposes.

Addresses starting http:// are not encrypted and are considered insecure.
Addresses starting https:// are encrypted and should be secure - but don't be careless because the bad guys are getting cleverer all the time.

Margaret Pilkington 23-11-2020 08:00

I have been seriously considering installing a VPN....especially as the one linked to my main security program has a whacking 70% off a two year subscription....making it less tha the price of a posh coffee per month.

Hill Walker 23-11-2020 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1247112)
I have been seriously considering installing a VPN....especially as the one linked to my main security program has a whacking 70% off a two year subscription....making it less tha the price of a posh coffee per month.

I would not bother with a VPN you have no need of one. The function of a VPN is to make you appear to be somewhere else (like at the office where you work) and to provide you with a secure connection to that point (the office) so that you can use facilities that are provided and restricted to that point (the office). In general the people who need VPN’s are people who are ‘working from home’ but computerwise need to appear to be in the work place. Those people should be using a VPN but it should be one which is provided by or designated by their employer.

Buy the coffee instead (when allowed).

dotti34 23-11-2020 09:09

There are a couple of very useful sites I visit on a regular basis that also come up as being 'not secure' - one being Lancashire BMD. I am pretty confident that it is very safe to use this one.

Hill Walker 23-11-2020 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1247115)
There are a couple of very useful sites I visit on a regular basis that also come up as being 'not secure' - one being Lancashire BMD. I am pretty confident that it is very safe to use this one.

Yes, again its a site of publicly available information, however sites such as Ancestry where money or current address/relationship information could be used should be secure and therefore should be using https addresses.

Margaret Pilkington 23-11-2020 10:07

I use Ancestry and it is a secure site.