Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2011, 23:01   #1
Give, give, give member

Editing and deleting posts.

Noticed that quite a few posts have been deleted this evening.

True, strictly speaking some posts will have gone off the subject of the thread title, and thus they did break forum rules, and therefore they can quite rightly be deleted.

However, I could point out thousands of similar posts on the forum, which have also veered off topic, but they remain on site.

Some of the deleted posts may have exhibited, or at least attempted a stab at humour.

Is this seen as going off thread?

Might be an idea if the reasons why some posts are deleted, and some aren't, are given. Then hopefully people will know how to avoid this happening.

If arbitrary deletion, in which some posts are deleted, and similar posts remain untouched, continues, it might deter some people from bothering to post at all, because it becomes a bit of a lottery if their post does, or doesn't remain.

Which would result in the forum becoming very sluggish, in my opinion.

Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2011, 23:20   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Editing and deleting posts.

Know what yer saying, can't reply or twill be deleted.
Old 24-02-2011, 23:34   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

There is a difference between being off topic, which as you know happens a lot and is usually left untouched and posts that are just argumentative and insulting each other.

Do you think those type of posts should be left on?
Old 24-02-2011, 23:35   #4
God Member

Re: Deep Fried Worms & Snot Cake

Appears my answering post has vanished
Old 24-02-2011, 23:38   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have removed a lot of posts that were just argumentative and plain insulting. It was a toss up between removing posts and removing the whole thread.

I apologise for not cleaning up this thread sooner but I have been busy the last few days and not been online much.
Old 24-02-2011, 23:38   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Appears my answering post has vanished
this is getting ridiculous IMHO.
Old 25-02-2011, 00:04   #7

If you only remove certain posts, people get a one sided opinion, sureley it's better to remove whole thread then it's not quite as biased.
Old 25-02-2011, 00:05   #8
God Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Neil,I have removed a lot of posts that were just argumentative and plain insulting.
My post was far from argumentative or insulting. But as you are the mod will have to abide by your decision to delete it.
Old 25-02-2011, 00:05   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you think those type of posts should be left on?
No, and as Cashman hinted I don't want to criticise any moderators, because that too would break forum rules.

However quite honestly I'm struggling to see any logic, in deciding which posts are deleted, and which remain untouched.

I'll state as fact that some recently deleted posts, although like thousands of others may have veered off topic, were definitely not 'argumentative and insulting'. Certainly no more so than posts that remain in the heavily edited thread. Including at least one post in the hacked thread, which could be argued contains at least two insults aimed at other members. Some of those deleted would have been seen as attempting humour, at least in the eyes of most people.

Rules should not be applied on a whim, willy-nilly, and in an arbitrary fashion.

Well they can be.

But as stated earlier, people wouldn't want to play a lottery game for long. Guessing if their very similar posts might, or might not be deleted.

I'm genuinely not criticising anyone.

Just trying to make sense of something that to me shows very little logic.

I've always had the utmost respect for the way this site is moderated, but this editing baffles me.

As in any society, if the law is deemed to be unfair, people soon get fed up.

A few might remain, a few might protest. Most will simply go elsewhere.

So we can learn from this, I'm more than happy if my own deleted posts are reproduced here, with an explanation as to why each needed removing, whilst similar are allowed to remain.

I'm sure all members would then know what to avoid, so as to create less work for the moderators.

Old 25-02-2011, 00:08   #10
Member.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My post was far from argumentative or insulting. But as you are the mod will have to abide by your decision to delete it.
And your going to lay back and take it.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 25-02-2011, 00:12   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
And your going to lay back and take it.........
Nothing I can do but abide by a mods decision whether I agree with it or not Think most members will have got the gist of how one of our esteemed members can get away with insulting just about everyone as they so please without warning
Old 25-02-2011, 00:12   #12
Member.

OK, let’s pretend that I’m thick. Is this or is this not a discussion board?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 25-02-2011, 00:14   #13
Give, give, give member

If there's a situation in which people think rules aren't being applied across the board, and are applied to some cases, and not to others, that's when accusations od fairness and credibility arise.

Again, not being critical. I want clarity, so myself, and hopefully others can learn, and we won't fall foul of rule breaking again.

Old 25-02-2011, 00:14   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
If you only remove certain posts, people get a one sided opinion, sureley it's better to remove whole thread then it's not quite as biased.
Not always as simple as that.
The original post was a perfectly sensible post. Many of the following posts were just comments on other threads and insults between members.

Maybe I should have just left the original post and no others.
Old 25-02-2011, 00:17   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Nothing I can do but abide by a mods decision whether I agree with it or not
Not true at all. You can PM me any time and discuss anything you want. I will reply as soon as I can.

Quote:
Think most members will have got the gist of how one of our esteemed members can get away with insulting just about everyone as they so please without warning
I moderate as fairly as I can and will remove posts I think need removing no matter who has posted them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..