Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2009, 23:06   #1
Len
God Member

Help with the Spammers:

May I say thankyou to everyone that has been reporting the spammers as it really does help us out. It would take forever for us to search out and remove the spammers without your help.

Whenever you do come across a spammers post, please do not quote the spammers post in a reply to them. Better still, do not even reply to the spammer, just report it because when we ban a spammer, especially one that has made multiple posts in multiple threads, we ban and delete all his posts with one push of a button. We don’t even need to see where all his posts have been made. We can sort them remotely.

So as you can imagine, if someone has quoted the spam in their post and then the spammers posts gets remotely removed. They can end up doing the spammers job for them, by displaying what the spammer posted originally etc.

If someone replys to a spammers post and the spammers post again gets remotely deleted, chances are, their reply post will still remain and everyone will be wondering what there going on about.

Occasions like what I’ve described are rare. The spammers usually only make one or two posts before we nab them (thanks to you) and its easy for us to check whom may have quoted them or replied to them etc as there’s only been a couple, but from time to time we get the odd spammer who manages to get off half a dozen or so posts before we nab them and for us, it means we have to check/ go backwards and forwards seeing if anyone has quoted them etc.

so if you could help us out once again by not replying to the spammers we would be even more truly grateful.

And before anyone says...... we are getting lazy.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2009, 23:20   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Help with the Spammers:

Fair Enough Len will do, i have been guilty of replying occasionally, sorry ******* just irritate me.
Old 24-03-2009, 11:06   #3
Resting in Peace

You and me alike cashy
Old 24-03-2009, 13:19   #4
God Member

Me too.........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 13:54   #5
Beacon of light

I don't think you are getting lazy at all........I think we all have some responsibility to ensure that these folk are reported.......after all you can't be on watch all the time.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 20:35   #6
Junior Member+

Seems like spamming is getting worse. Looks like someone can figure out how to stop it. Whoever does will become more famous than BILL GATES of MS.
I know that it is beginning to get me away from using E.Mailing now. Even writing more letters by snail mail.

Can't see what the people get out of sending these spams. They need to get a life.
JeanneP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 20:43   #7
Resting in Peace

Did notice last week, that someone with a very suspicious name came and hung on line without posting. Observed that the mods had been into their profile to check them out. Is this a new way of attacking us, so that us members will be curious enough to look at the profile, then to their contact details etc. ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 07:07   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP2 View Post
Seems like spamming is getting worse. Looks like someone can figure out how to stop it. Whoever does will become more famous than BILL GATES of MS.
I know that it is beginning to get me away from using E.Mailing now. Even writing more letters by snail mail.

Can't see what the people get out of sending these spams. They need to get a life.
You need to start using a spam filter. they are very good now and will cut it down by > 90%

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..