Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2011, 15:34   #1

Question How do you use Accy Web?

I've been on the forum a few weeks now but I've only just discovered there are forums beyond the Accyweb subforum. Now you might say, 'why don't you use your eyes, stupid?' but it's common knowledge that we all get into habits when we use software or surf the net and nobody uses them to their full potential, like we don't use all our brains, not even a few percent of it in many cases, no doubt mine included Anyway, I had bookmarked the accyweb forum because I knew the Oswaldtwistle sub forum was underneath it, along with other stuff. So I became accustomed to just viewing those subforums and threads and never clicked on Accrington Web at the top until today, when I've discovered plenty of other stuff I am interested in.

So this makes me ask the question, 'How do you use Accrington Web?' With years of experience you probably have shortcuts or ways that you like best. I know some of you post and reply to threads very quickly and I can never keep up, so perhaps you have a best way to do that too?
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2011, 16:24   #2
God Member

Re: How do you use Accy Web?

I tend to just click on new posts at top and then scan through what threads have been posted on since I was last on.

Then I read through the ones I think I will be interested in, always clicking on new posts afterwards and when I have read everything I want I click quick links, mark forums read and then its clear for when I am next on

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 16:30   #3
Give, give, give member

Although I posted in quite a few threads, when I discovered this place, it did take me a while to find my way around properly.

It took an age whilst people kindly explained how to turn off the email verification that was sent, every time someone posted in a thread I had.

Much the easiest way to see what might interest you, is to click on Quick Links, at the top of the page, and then Today's Posts.

You can see who's posted in threads that may interest you, and scan over those that don't.

Clicking the question mark at the bottom of the page, next to Who is currently on-line, can sometimes be quite useful.

It isn't that complicated.

Technology wise I'm a numbskull, so you're bound to find your way round the forum, more quickly than I picked it up.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 16:33   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
I tend to just click on new posts at top and then scan through what threads have been posted on since I was last on.

Then I read through the ones I think I will be interested in, always clicking on new posts afterwards and when I have read everything I want I click quick links, mark forums read and then its clear for when I am next on
I couldn't cut and paste until this lady patiently gave me a tutorial in the chatroom one night....with disastrous results!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 16:49   #5
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
I've been on the forum a few weeks now but I've only just discovered there are forums beyond the Accyweb subforum. Now you might say, 'why don't you use your eyes, stupid?' but it's common knowledge that we all get into habits when we use software or surf the net and nobody uses them to their full potential, like we don't use all our brains, not even a few percent of it in many cases, no doubt mine included Anyway, I had bookmarked the accyweb forum because I knew the Oswaldtwistle sub forum was underneath it, along with other stuff. So I became accustomed to just viewing those subforums and threads and never clicked on Accrington Web at the top until today, when I've discovered plenty of other stuff I am interested in.

So this makes me ask the question, 'How do you use Accrington Web?' With years of experience you probably have shortcuts or ways that you like best. I know some of you post and reply to threads very quickly and I can never keep up, so perhaps you have a best way to do that too?
How'bout ask Mick, the administrator.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 16:53   #6

Mick will use it differently to ordinary users. And it is interesting to read different ways. Both Garinda's and harwood red's ways are far better than the way I was working. This thread might also help other newbies.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 16:54   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I click new posts usually as well - I have a shortcut to new posts on my booklinks bar along with who's online which I use a lot as well to see who is online.

I tend to view most threads, even the boring as hell ones but thats just because I am a mod. I avoid the football section, unless Mel makes me, because football is a menace to society.

I usually use Chrome at home on my PC or netbook, IE or Firefox at work and on my phone using the browser or tapatalk.

I probably view using my phone as much if not more than on a PC these days.

Reports etc get emailed to my phone so if I am not busy I can respond quite quickly on my phone almost from anywhere.

Last edited by Neil; 18-06-2011 at 16:57.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 18:02   #8
Beacon of light

I check out new posts first.......then I might check out who is online.....just to be nosy and see what interests other people.
I check out my own profile page from time to time.......I visit the blogs to see if there is anything new.
I check out the profiles of new members too...just because I am curious....and because many of the new members don't give much information about who they are or what interests them...though we have recently had some very good introductions.
I visit most of the sub-sections......well except for the football one and the over 18's(because I'm not old enough to go in the over 18's )
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 20:49   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i tend to open the sections "general chat" etc etc, the threads wi new posts on are highlighted in a darker color, then open threads i'm most interested in first,to see who i can annoy, then check the rest later.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:50   #10
Resting in Peace

I have picked things up as I've gone along, its only relatively lately that I've stated using new posts button, and have been tutored my other members (mick) on how to put links in, still haven't quite mastered inserting pictures yet it's still hit and miss, but I'm getting there, but to answer the original question, I use Accy Web is to keep in touch and I've found loads of new friends too which is a bonus, probably the only down side is Mancie, but I just ignore him
Old 19-06-2011, 09:38   #11
Beacon of light

Like John.....I have learned as I have gone along.
I can't believe I ever found it difficult to upload pictures....but I did......there was a lot of trial and error in the process(mainly error - until someone pointed me in the right direction)
I can add links....no problem.
Accyweb is good for your brain....makes you think, challenges you in some way.
Even those people we don't agree with have their uses.......they make us question our own values and assumptions.........they make us value the real friends in our lives.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..