Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2004, 10:02   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Karma?

All I know regarding karma is that the higher the number of posts you have, and the higher your own karma, the more you can give/take in one sitting. I have just given some karma and the lucky beggar got 8 points in one do.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2004, 10:36   #17
Resident Waffler

Can you give more than once a day Lettie? I can't. If I try to I get a message telling me I've given out too much in the past 24 hours and to try again later.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 10:41   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Oooh, I don't know Willow, never tried it. I tend to give karma for something I strongly agree with, something that makes me laugh or something that helps or answers a question for me. I have only taken karma from somebody once and that was on the old Accyweb. I believe that everybody is entitled to an opinion and wouldn't rob somebody of karma just because their opinion differs from my own.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 10:48   #19
mez
God Member

willow ive just tried to give someone some karma but id already done so once to-day & its done the same to me // aa well/
Old 15-08-2004, 11:17   #20

I lost karma just for inviting someone to PM me if they wished to further discuss an issue.....I personally dont bother with it and have never taken a posters karma points score to be any form of indication of their character. People taking (or even giving) karma points just because they agree (or disagree) with their opinion seems rather petty to be honest - and surely taking karma from someone is bad karma in itself!
Old 15-08-2004, 22:34   #21
Always EVIL within us

Oh boy, am I in trouble then, It has been a pleasure to speak to you all, I tend to speak as I think, so byeee all (in anticipation of my karma dissapearing!)
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 22:43   #22
Resident Waffler

Smile Re: Karma?

You've got 15 what are you worried about?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 23:42   #23

Whatever you do Doug , dont change, I love reading your replys.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 23:49   #24
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Whatever you do Doug , dont change, I love reading your replys.
Cheers Alan, I'm not sure if thats good or bad. But, if it helps I've not manage to change in the last 30 years...I think I'm to old now to try. Maybe if I think first? lol. Thanks all the same, your a gentleman..
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 04:52   #25

I really don't see the point in Karma. Whether you agree with somebody else's view point or not is your own business, and Karma seems to be a way of showing disagreement or agreement. I think it's better to state your opinion openly in any thread and just say what you feel or think about a particular issue. To me personally, it seems a backdoor method of trying to slap somebody on the back or across their face, without them knowing who has done it!

To all of you...just keep playing it the way you've always played it and be yourself. I can stand a great deal of open honest discussion and opinion.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 09:12   #26
Senior Member+

So basically if you reply to a posting and other persons takes offence then they could basically throw you out.What ever happened to freedom of speech?an honest opinion of anything is worth a lot more from my point of view.Why agree with something that you do not think is ok, or you cannot justify putting people down because you do not like them.Some of the points they make maybe valid
Old 18-08-2004, 11:15   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
So basically if you reply to a posting and other persons takes offence then they could basically throw you out.What ever happened to freedom of speech?an honest opinion of anything is worth a lot more from my point of view.Why agree with something that you do not think is ok, or you cannot justify putting people down because you do not like them.Some of the points they make maybe valid
It would take alot of people before a person could lose too much karma, free speech is there to be used but with it comes the responsibility that if what you post annoys other people e.g. changing the original theme of the Karma topic started by Anthonys into a platform whereby some bleeding heart can moan on about how badly done to they are feeling because of other members reactions. I have had mixed reaction to many of my threads some people agreed some didn't & this was reflected in the way that people affected my karma points. Not every-one wants to post on every thread that they read but if on the whole they agree, then up goes your karma, If they disagree, then down goes your karma. I think before you can either add or subtract from a persons karma a second time you have to have shall we say, Voted for (rather than picked on) 10 other people & their threads. So can we now get back to the original postees topic & leave the free speech soap box alone!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 12:00   #28
Member.

I respect your point of view less, and by doing so I have no desire to criticise anything you say. But I think it’s unfortunate that terms like bleeding heart is use to describe what is just another persons point of view. If anyone as answered the question here and given at least to my mind the best direction is lettie. Maybe Karma wouldn’t be such an issue if we all followed her example.
Old 18-08-2004, 12:38   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I respect your point of view less, and by doing so I have no desire to criticise anything you say. But I think it’s unfortunate that terms like bleeding heart is use to describe what is just another persons point of view. If anyone as answered the question here and given at least to my mind the best direction is lettie. Maybe Karma wouldn’t be such an issue if we all followed her example.
Oh dear, here we go, let me pass you a tissue, I know I have just said something that you don't agree with & by your reply can see that you are yet again going to take it personal. Well I can't blame you, because yet again you personally have used the karma thread without adding anything to the topic of.... Karma. When I first read anthonys's thread I thought this guy will welcome some encouragement so I gave him some karma points, after all he is new to the site & rather than discourage I am all for encouraging all members.
However take a look @ the post immediately after his & you will see as no doubt the rest of us did, some-one introducing themselves with a negative attitude. I agree whole-heartedly with letties attitude towards karma. what I disagree with is the attitude of people that don't seem to be able to follow the plot either in some-ones thread or in real life. I have seen some of your answers to peoples posts & when you are not busy apologising for suffering from foot in mouth disease & then trying to put the blame onto every-one else, you have got a talent for some witty & dare I say reasonably intelligent view points unfortunately finding these paritcular posts of yours is made difficult by the dross that you put onto the site. Please, before you come back @ me all fired up, take a deep breathe, count to ten & consider, is what Less has said something that deserves a Reply?
I would now like to finish with a positive attitude & that is that I for one look forward to your continued posting on the site & hope that once you realise that I am neither for or against you that we can have many more serious & lite-hearted discussions.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 13:23   #30
Member.

Bloody Hell Less keep your tissues mate I’ve box’s full, Maybe your right, maybe it’s a matter of interpretation, individual or otherwise, but at the end of the day I don’t think any one of us is perfect,

I may have a problem I don’t know, I don’t set out to blame or put on anyone, nor force my point of view on others and for once I’m not apologising. If however, I do cause genuine offence to someone then I believe its right to apologise simple as that really.

I will irrespectively, but respectfully continue to post on the threads and I hope that the continent of what I post appeals to most people if not then what I say will just be another opinion. Is that not what it’s about?

Tags
« gallery | Chatroom »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..