Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2004, 18:27   #31

Re: Karma?

Karma was the title subject i think???????

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2004, 20:45   #32
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

If I post something I will not apologise if someone does not agree with my view, but I hope I will never post a personal attack such as the one Less made on Doug earlier in this thread. This karma thing if you didn't know is making members not want to post in fear of losing enough so they lose their membership of this forum but I cannot ignore Less's post and fully expect to see my karma total go down.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 21:22   #33
Member.

Not if there's any merit in this site or its people Bagpuss. And not if I can help it, now I have had a good laugh with Sara and Shrum tonight and I'm well on the way.............Nissed.

Less has an opinion, he made his statement and I’m sure his feelings are genuine, that’s his prerogative and I’m not criticising him for that. But I do agree that it is counter productive for us to attack each other for our opinions, we can’t afford to stifle opinion or debate on this site, if people as you quite rightly say, are afraid too post because they fear counter criticism them there’s no point in being here.

Obviously some agree with the gentleman and others don’t, I call that democracy. However, Bagpuss, I applaud your stand and your support and it is appreciated. And I can tell that it’s appreciated by more people than just me. You’re a gentleman sir.

Anyone one wanting an apology can go p*** up a tree. lol
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 21:26   #34
Senior Member+

i do find that when all said and done there are a lot of people who take offence where i would belive there is no offence meant
Old 18-08-2004, 21:30   #35

so your happy enough to post a response when its a personal attack (as you word it) on doug but when its anybody else say Kipax for example its ok??
I'm not saying its right for anybody to make "personal attacks" but i think the point made by less was valid IMHO. I have read posts with "personal attacks" on other members when thay have not had a valid point and seen no defence for it.

As for the comment about your karma being effected, personally i dont think that anything that you have said could possibly warrant changing karma. After all we are all entitled to an oppinion. Although in the last few days since the start of this thread the ammount of changing karma is unbelievable. Doug for example is now on 29. 2 days ago he was fearing he would have nothing. And with no disrespect to Doug if people were giving karma for good reason why has Dougs doubled in 2 days.

This was all seen on the old accyweb and the old sytem and that was abused the same as this one is, and at the end of the day this was programmed by Roy in his own time as a "feature " of Accyweb, so if it carries on being abused than surely Roy is waisting his own time???? IMHO

People work for money!
Old 18-08-2004, 21:47   #36
Senior Member+

Going back to the old accy web i remember me being personally attacked by certain long standing members of this web site.Did i flinch no i still passed on my views and ignored the personal remarks made about me.In the end all it boiled down was that with me being new some people hqad the feeling they were being pushed out.Does not bother me in the slightest i like to take people as they come
Old 18-08-2004, 21:51   #37

Well said mik.. and if memory serves correct your title was "forum bad boy" (along with T

People work for money!
Old 18-08-2004, 22:10   #38
Member.

No offence is taken wingy, but if people wish to express their opinion thought the use of Karma then I would suggest in my humble opinion that the system works. Obviously some will support one or other side in this matter, some couldn’t give a **** and other will remain impartial. I for one don’t mind the personal attacks in this instance because it is just an opinion that another individual.

You are right about massive increases in Karma; some are going through the roof. Maybe it’s just because people respect an opinion or may be its individual support, if it’s the latter then I would worry because that will split the site, not opinion and that can only be bad for all of us, that said there’s only a small number of folks involved in this and that should be easy for us to meet an accord that makes this site what it is. Democratic...

Just for the record less I give Karma to the lad for the same reason and at the time I said what as led to this interlude, I continue to give Karma ever time it let’s me to people who I feel merit it…it is a privilege and I respect that and award accordingly as I’m sure others do.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 22:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS
How do I turn my karma off? I seem to have only 8 karma yet I haven't done anything bad so I want to turn it off.
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a full on debate amondgst you all. It seems I touched a very sore subject . I won't want to turn it off now because I somehow gained a lot of karma now, but did anybody actually answer my question? Can I turn it off or not ?
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 23:01   #40
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a full on debate amondgst you all. It seems I touched a very sore subject . I won't want to turn it off now because I somehow gained a lot of karma now, but did anybody actually answer my question? Can I turn it off or not ?
At the moment AnthonyS you cannot turn your karma on or off.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 05:56   #41

Many of us have been subjected to vicious personal attacks becuse of our statements on the site or our points of view. Unfortunately this is the current state of affairs in our society, and we'll just have to live with it.
Those of us who are wise enough to continue making our opinion known or continue to make statements, that may (whitingly or unwitingly cause what could be construed as "offence") or may not wind up a couple of our fellow site members should follow their conscience. :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil:

As for Karma.........I should cocoa
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 07:51   #42
Senior Member+

I mean when all said and done karma is ok but i like a good vindaloo as well.Oops i think i have misread this thread , that would be khorma am i correct
Old 19-08-2004, 13:51   #43
Resting in peace

I think a lot of new people would welcome some direction on karma - I have no idea how to add or take away anything.

Whilst I agree that no-one should be allowed to post vicious messages or personal attacks, surely we are all entitled to our opinions. We should respect the opinions of others, whether we agree or not. Does anyone remember the quote -

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Not a bad stance to take, I think.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 18:27   #44
Senior Member+

No pendy i do not remember the quote and i can honestly say i ahve never heard of it but i do like it and will remember that one
Old 20-08-2004, 22:58   #45
Accrington Web Mascot

Karma is basically feedback on your threads. I personally like to be able to increase someone's karma if a feel they deserve it and I also like to receive it - it builds on the community spirit of the site. But, of course sometimes even in a close community people disagree, and if I felt it necessary I would also give someone bad karma (although I wouldn't give bad karma just for someone having a different opinion). I do not think that Roy or any of the moderators would allow this system to be abused, and I think that if anyone was getting "picked on" it would soon come to their attention. Surely we are all capable of using this option sensibly and if you do not wish to get involved with Karma - that's perfectly OK!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
« gallery | Chatroom »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..