Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2013, 21:26   #1
God Member

Minimum Age limit for membership

I think that disruption by new members who are children illustrates that members below age 16 cannot be trusted to behave properly here.

I propose that the age for membership be raised to 16.
flashy and maxthecollie like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2013, 21:41   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Minimum Age limit for membership

Perhaps, it should be 67?

That seems to be a magic number that pees sambo off.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 21:52   #3
Full Member+

How about an age cap?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 05:40   #4
God Member

members must be at least 3 weeks from death and have 5 prior re-incarnations
flashy likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 07:48   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think that disruption by new members who are children illustrates that members below age 16 cannot be trusted to behave properly here.

I propose that the age for membership be raised to 16.
How do you suggest we verify the age of members?

In the UK there is no need for members to prove their age as we don't have any legal age limits in the way they do in the US. Even sites like facebook and twitter based in the US don't ask for age proof, just state that under 13 are not allowed. That is only because its easier than all the messing about needing parents to agree to them joining.

The usual problem we have with young members is the adults on the site, if you don't like them don't involve yourself in a conversation with them.
Less, Retlaw, jaysay and 2 others like this.
Old 28-01-2013, 07:52   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The usual problem we have with young members is the adults on the site, if you don't like them don't involve yourself in a conversation with them.
I liked most of what you said however I dispute the above, how is it the 'adults' fault when they are warning a child not to do something dangerous when he keeps insisting on doing it?

Surely it would be irresponsible to follow the above advice and leave the obviously immature to risk life and limb?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 09:21   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
How about an age cap?
Thats not a bad idea. Every year Accywebbers have to come in to the shop and buy a cap with their age on. Repeat business
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:55   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
That's not a bad idea. Every year Accywebbers have to come in to the shop and buy a cap with their age on. Repeat business
You'll have to make home deliveries Dave
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:43   #9
Beacon of light

Nope Dave...I don't want everyone in Accy to know I'm only 14(the rest is VAT)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:47   #10
God Member

Quote:

In the UK there is no need for members to prove their age as we don't have any legal age limits in the way they do in the US. Even sites like facebook and twitter based in the US don't ask for age proof, just state that under 13 are not allowed. That is only because its easier than all the messing about needing parents to agree to them joining.

I thought that the forum already had a 14 age minimum rule, with parental consent for younger.

I recall that it was used, so I expected there was some sort of age verification system in place.

It seems that there is no such control, nor is it possible.
If I had known that, I would not have made this thread.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 11:09   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I liked most of what you said however I dispute the above, how is it the 'adults' fault when they are warning a child not to do something dangerous when he keeps insisting on doing it?

Surely it would be irresponsible to follow the above advice and leave the obviously immature to risk life and limb?
I was not around in the Era of Bee so I can't comment on that situation. However it seems to me that some sixteen year olds can be as mature as a 67 year old ... while a 67 year old - you get my drift I hope. I'm 66 by the way!

I think in the current case involving possible goings on at Churchills/the Con club, as Less says, some of us are genuinely concerned that this individual will harm himself and/or others. As he reveals more about himself and his activities this may become more likely, unless he really is pulling the wool over all of our eyes and really winding everyone up big time.

I think as Steve says above, the benefit of the doubt is in order in this case. Sometimes the poster appears mature and then gives himself away so I think he may be both testing us and also genuinely interested in the old buildings he professes to care for - but is not mature enough to go about this in the right way. He needs help to head in the right direction.
Accrington Lad likes this.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:13   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I thought that the forum already had a 14 age minimum rule, with parental consent for younger.

I recall that it was used, so I expected there was some sort of age verification system in place.

It seems that there is no such control, nor is it possible.
If I had known that, I would not have made this thread.
There is no age limit in the rules. It says if you are under 13 you need permission from a parent, that limit was set to comply with US law but there is no such law in the UK. The rule still stands though.

When you registered were you asked to prove your age?

As with all the rules if we find out someone has broken them appropriate action is taken.
Old 28-01-2013, 14:12   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You'll have to make home deliveries Dave
You got a point there, bud.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:46   #14

I've never been asked to prove my age when joining a forum.
I think even on most 'Adult' sites, you just have to read (or pretend to read!) a disclaimer which states that you must be of legal age for your country to be viewing the content.

I don't think I've been involved in any discussions where a user's age was an issue on this forum, so I can't give opinion on that one
Old 28-01-2013, 16:09   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Nope Dave...I don't want everyone in Accy to know I'm only 14(the rest is VAT)
At what percentage?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..