Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 12:50   #1
Give, give, give member

Right place for threads?

Not that I post in them that much, though others do, but I do think a whole section of threads are in the wrong section on the forum.

Threads about UFOs, chemical sprays, or conspiracy threads etc, I don't think belong in Anything Goes.

Anything Goes is a place for birthday wishes, and fun, silly, chatty threads and posts.

Relegating all such threads to such a section seems unfair, and demeans their content. As there are some well written, well thought out posts there, containing some interesting information.

We might not agree with what's posted, but I certainly wouldn't classify such threads as silly or fun.

Not having those posts counted, makes them seem even more unworthy.

There are lots of sillier posts made, including some by myself, in other 'serious' sections of Accy Web.

Just my thoughts.

As I said, we might not agree with the content, but to me such threads don't belong in Anything Goes, but in General Chat.

Not having a go at the moderators, just interested to see what others think.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2011, 13:27   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Right place for threads?

I know some peole get irritated by the conspiracy threads and the threads about extra terrestrials...etc, but I think that your observation is right.
It does demean the subjects.......and some people might just be interested in what someone has to say on these, possibly, controversial topics.

Threads are usually adequately identified, so that those people who don't find them interesting, do not need to visit that thread....though there are some who may visit just to heap ridicule on the post.

It means that the forum is in danger of narrowing the topics that are seen to be, for want of a better word, acceptable.

And I am not having a go at the moderators, or anyone else for that matter......just saying it how I see it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 15:27   #3
Resting in Peace

I agree, Garinda, and have done ever since MargaretR complained about some of hers being moved into this section. I think it has certainly put her off posting her ideas and theories as, like you say, being in the section does open it more to ridicule (on top of the ridicule she would already receive).

Being a moderator is not rocket science and is open to their own judgements and prejudices, even though they try very hard to remain neutral, however, this, in my opinion, is a blatant misjudgement.

By the way, has someone been clearing out this section ? Where has all the history gone ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 16:33   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

gotta say i have been rather amazed some of these type of threads have been moved down yon. whilst i disagree wi much of em, its just my opinion,there are some that take em seriously, have said nowt about this fer the simple fact- i didn't start em. if i had i would be questioning rather than put off posting......... but then i'm a gobhead.
Old 06-05-2011, 16:41   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
gotta say i have been rather amazed some of these type of threads have been moved down yon. whilst i disagree wi much of em, its just my opinion,there are some that take em seriously, have said nowt about this fer the simple fact- i didn't start em. if i had i would be questioning rather than put off posting......... but then i'm a gobhead.

It has been questioned, by the posters, on a few occasions, Cashy.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 17:51   #6
Resting in Peace

Although I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, and disagree with some of the stuff that's written in these threads, I don't think that they should be in anything goes either, its a nonsense
Old 06-05-2011, 18:24   #7
Senior Member+

Im pleased to hear that a few people even those that like to come and have humour in such threds feel they deserve to be in general chat or atleast not in anything goes.

I have questioned a few times, but always been told basically not to question the actions of a moderator and even to go and post on David Ike and not on here. (truth Is I dont even go on David Ike).

To me it makes no difference, being one of the posters of such threds, I love the debate that happens in them and as it not your usual types of topics it brings a bit of variety to Accy Web, and if a few get fun mocking, (I must admit cleaverly at times) then at least I have made someone happy/have fun.
Old 06-05-2011, 18:33   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Im pleased to hear that a few people even those that like to come and have humour in such threads feel they deserve to be in general chat or atleast not in anything goes.

I have questioned a few times, but always been told basically not to question the actions of a moderator and even to go and post on David Ike and not on here. (truth Is I dont even go on David Ike).

To me it makes no difference, being one of the posters of such threds, I love the debate that happens in them and as it not your usual types of topics it brings a bit of variety to Accy Web, and if a few get fun mocking, (I must admit cleaverly at times) then at least I have made someone happy/have fun.
Don't know what we'd do without ya mate
Old 06-05-2011, 18:41   #9
God Member

never really bothered about which section anything I've posted has been moved to , usually just click on the "New Posts" button and see whats new or updated, if it has an interesting title I'll check it out , think the only one I do post on specifically is the music video , generally just post in the General thread and let the mods decide if it needs moving , like the other day with the Cauten (sic) thread , should that have gone into the nostalgia , anything goes or general ?

Do think the Political conspiricy threads belong in general , but UFOs, Ghosts, Pyramidology and other silly stuff could go into anything goes
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 18:48   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
never really bothered about which section anything I've posted has been moved to , usually just click on the "New Posts" button and see whats new or updated, if it has an interesting title I'll check it out , think the only one I do post on specifically is the music video , generally just post in the General thread and let the mods decide if it needs moving , like the other day with the Cauten (sic) thread , should that have gone into the nostalgia , anything goes or general ?

Do think the Political conspiricy threads belong in general , but UFOs, Ghosts, Pyramidology and other silly stuff could go into anything goes
Not much Political conspiracy on here SJ
Old 06-05-2011, 19:25   #11
Give, give, give member

Personally to me, much that's confined to Anything Goes, is no sillier than threads about organised religion, which are given gravitas, by being allowed to stay in General Chat.

Good to read others' views.

Not criticism, just can't see the logic myself.

Old 06-05-2011, 20:46   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Im pleased to hear that a few people even those that like to come and have humour in such threds feel they deserve to be in general chat or atleast not in anything goes.
Hey Mr D, whilst i think yeh talk much crap, i post things as i see em.
Old 06-05-2011, 21:23   #13
Beacon of light

Well, if you look at a thread and it says something like...... poltergeists and ghosts......and you don't believe in things like that, then you wouldn't visit that thread would you?
Like I don't visit football threads.......I know nothing about it, and it holds no interest for me......I certainly wouldn't go on a thread just to rubbish the topic, or the poster.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 21:37   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
It has been questioned, by the posters, on a few occasions, Cashy.
i wouldn't have a clue,but its irrelevant to my comment.
Old 08-05-2011, 23:26   #15
Give, give, give member

Although some members find this situation odd, and a little unfair, the consensus amongst the moderators is that the current staus quo is to remain as it is?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..