Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 13:47   #31
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The enemy within

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Can we have a mouse over link to the ones who post negative Karma without leaving a name?
These members who have got sufficient points to leave Karma should be identified.
I would support such a move or any move that identifies the person making an award of either type. The Rep Power value (an unfortunate choice of description) means little to me, although some people seem to think that with a high RP they can do what they like with impunity.

Good manners decree that when being given a gift you should thank the giver. You can’t do that if you don’t know who the giver was.

Anonymous and often derogatory or vile comments accompanying a negative award are akin to getting an anonymous poison pen letter in the mail.

There are forum rules about abusing members or posting insulting or nasty posts (not that they seem to be enforced) and a facility to report them.

A comment is to all intents and purposes like a post in the forum except that it is private so we should have a means of identifying the poster.

No reasonable person could object to being able to identify who makes Karma awards and the comments that accompany them.
Old 09-09-2008, 16:02   #32
Resident Waffler

Re: The enemy within

One thing I really wish we could do with karma is control the value that we give. It just goes with the value of the Rep Power at present so someone with a higher rep power gives a higher donation but is still limited to the number of people it can be given to. would prefer to be able to share it out to more people. If someone makes a really offensive comment in a karma 'award' I think it should be possible to report it to the mods because I agree that it does seem to be against the spirit of the forum rules.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 17:29   #33
Give, give, give member

Roy, the owner of this forum, has stated umpteen times that he likes the karma system, just as it is.

I do wish people would just learn to live with it, or if they can't, do one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 17:56   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Roy, the owner of this forum, has stated umpteen times that he likes the karma system, just as it is.

some people have heard this umpteen times n still do neither.
Old 09-09-2008, 21:18   #35
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:

I’ve been reading several threads on the Karma and the anonymous comments issue and not one single thread contained a post from Roy to say the he likes the Karma system as it is.

I have also skimmed through all 20 pages of Roy’s posts and haven’t found any mention of Roy liking the Karma system as it is. Of course I could have missed it.

Maybe you would be kind enough to guide me to where this pearl of wisdom has been published.

By the way – do one what?
Old 09-09-2008, 21:21   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Maybe you would be kind enough to guide me to where this pearl of wisdom has been published.
Through Mick and Len's posts as Roy can't always post. Simple really.
I would've thought that you had a thick enough skin to let fripperous things such as karma comments go over your head. There are bigger things to worry about.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 21:26   #37
Give, give, give member

Perhaps we should have a competition, to see which karma comment produdes the biggest tearful tantrum?

Old 09-09-2008, 21:32   #38
God Member

Why do we need to know every time somebody gets red karma? Am sure that if abusive comments were reported to the mods they would deal with it. Just don't see any need to keep bringing it onto the site!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 21:38   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Am sure that if abusive comments were reported to the mods they would deal with it.
That information has been made public knowledge countless time.

If a karma comment breaks forum rules, report it to a mod, who will deal with it.

That's not enough of a public fuss for some attention seekers.

They like to make a big song and dance about it, and stamp their little feet.

Old 09-09-2008, 21:49   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Through Mick and Len's posts as Roy can't always post. Simple really.
I would've thought that you had a thick enough skin to let fripperous things such as karma comments go over your head. There are bigger things to worry about.
Are you garinda’s secretary?

I ask because my post was in response to garinda’s post and the question was posed to him and he clearly stated, “Roy, the owner of this forum, has stated umpteen times that he likes the karma system, just as it is.” There was nothing about Mick or Len.

I am thick skinned but others are not and my point is not on my behalf but on the behalf of others, who in other threads have complained about the vicious, vile and disgusting anonymous comments received.

Be a good lackey and get your boss to answer my posts would you.
Old 09-09-2008, 21:54   #41
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Why do we need to know every time somebody gets red karma? Am sure that if abusive comments were reported to the mods they would deal with it. Just don't see any need to keep bringing it onto the site!!!
As I stated earlier, “No reasonable person could object to being able to identify who makes Karma awards and the comments that accompany them.

So I reason that those who do, do so because it would queer their pitch.
Old 09-09-2008, 21:56   #42
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
That information has been made public knowledge countless time.

If a karma comment breaks forum rules, report it to a mod, who will deal with it.

That's not enough of a public fuss for some attention seekers.

They like to make a big song and dance about it, and stamp their little feet.
Read post #55.
Old 09-09-2008, 22:09   #43
God Member

Quote:

I ask because my post was in response to garinda’s post and the question was posed to him and he clearly stated, “Roy, the owner of this forum, has stated umpteen times that he likes the karma system, just as it is.” There was nothing about Mick or Len.

I am thick skinned but others are not and my point is not on my behalf but on the behalf of others, who in other threads have complained about the vicious, vile and disgusting anonymous comments received.

First of all, I thought you never started dishing out insults? That you only responded when others insulted you? You bleat on about it often enough. So - I'm working off your theory now - seeing as you started the insults I can retort in a like manner. Your post has showed that you are a rude, vile, petulant being.

Secondly, you didn't send a PM to garinda asking him alone where he got his information, you posted the question on an open forum and therefore put the question out to everyone reading the thread.

Finally, who do you think you are to presume that others cannot defend themselves against karma comments? Are you the caped crusader of AccyWeb? I think not.
Crawl back in your hole.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 22:38   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I've sympathised when you felt you had to share some of the karma comments with the rest of the forum.

I, and others, have told you to report them to the moderators, if those comments are offensive, and they will be dealt with.

Sadly you lost all credibility, and certainly any respect, when you decided to post on a family forum, what is to all extent and purposes a private message, the most obscene, especially to women, four letter word, albeit with a space between the middle letters.

That was a disgrace, when we have children as active members on this forum.

I would have deducted karma, signed, for that, but sadly was unable to, because I'd recently given you some karma for your garden thread.

Luckliy for you it is Roy, and not myself, who owns this site, because for posting that disgusting four letter word you would have been banned for life.

Last edited by garinda; 09-09-2008 at 22:47.
Old 09-09-2008, 22:45   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I would have deducted karma, signed, for that, but sadly was unable to, abecause I'd recently given you some karma for your garden thread.
Strangely I can't remember any teary posts about unsigned karma when I gave that.

Perhaps it's only the negative stuff that illicits tantrums?

Happily when I get the red stuff I'm savvy enough not to make a big fuss about it publicly, which I suspect is what the person who gave it would love to see, but some people are just too dim to understand that concept.

Tags

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..