Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2007, 12:20   #1
mez
God Member

why?

ive been looking at other forums the past few weeks, & i can say hand on heart, that they do not seem to have as much antagonistic posters on them, all seem respectful & calm ....no swearing or little stars, no back biting......................SO WHY ACCYWEB? is it because the moderators are too lenient or is there an element out there who just don't like accyweb to carry on going forward.

I have been a member on here a long time & ive been disgusted at how our forum has turned into the PITS it is becoming.

i hope we can get back to "normal" "sensible" posts & the great banter we used to have.

WHY DRAG ACCYWEB DOWN.?
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2007, 12:31   #2

Re: why?

never mind mez, I'm back and we'll sort them out between us
Old 30-06-2007, 12:57   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
ive been looking at other forums the past few weeks, & i can say hand on heart, that they do not seem to have as much antagonistic posters on them, all seem respectful & calm ....no swearing or little stars, no back biting......................SO WHY ACCYWEB? is it because the moderators are too lenient or is there an element out there who just don't like accyweb to carry on going forward.

I have been a member on here a long time & ive been disgusted at how our forum has turned into the PITS it is becoming.

i hope we can get back to "normal" "sensible" posts & the great banter we used to have.

WHY DRAG ACCYWEB DOWN.?
I'll go for that one Mez.

There are too many chiefs and not enough Indians and I don't mean the Mods.
Many senior members (not by age) are tending to be masters of every subject and not well versed. (Not all I might add)
Snide and rude comments no matter who uses them should be struck out.
There seems to be a growing attitude of I'm going to win this at all cost if I don't win I will insult someone.
Have a look at some of the threads Mez and you will see what I mean.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 13:27   #4
Resident Waffler

Perhaps I am guilty of trying to clarify points where I feel things have been said in error and to point people towards the correct information.

If that is the cause of some of the problems then I apologise but I have never done it in order to score points but in order to make sure that people were not left with false information.

Unfortunately since I was criticised for doing that I have now decided to avoid correcting errors and will leave them be. If this results in false information being taken as correct then so be it. I'm tired of being criticised for trying to be helpful.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 13:42   #5
Beacon of light

there is never any excuse for personal insults or rudeness......and I think that recently some people have forgotten that.

In the past we have been able to have discussions that have sometimes become heated(but that is what happens when you have a passionate belief about something) without descending into name calling and personal insults.

We should be able to be mature enough to recognise that in a forum as diverse as this, there are bound to differing opinions.
And just because someone holds a different opnion to yours doesn't necessarily mean that either of you are wrong......differing opinions can co-exist.

I think there is a minority on here who will have their voices heard, come what may. Maybe they are spoiling it for the rest of the forum.

Willow, I'm sure that in the time I have been a member of this forum you have been a voice of sweet reason, and on numerous occasions you have poured oil on troubled waters.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 13:45   #6
Beacon of light

I like accyweb and have always found it to be a friendly and welcoming forum........and if I visit a thread that I think is acrimonious......I leave it alone.
Well, most of the time.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 13:55   #7
Give, give, give member

Well I too have looked at other forums of late, and Accy Web is still the best by far, for lively debate, as well as the fun stuff. I'm not at all interested why someone's day was so bad, or what they had for their tea.

I think some people have rose tinted glasses on. I've been a member for two and a half years, and to my mind the forum is pretty much as it was when I joined. There was a raging debate about gays in the navy when I joined, as well as the usual maoning about the council. Not much change there then.

I think the mods do sterling work at upholding the rules of the forum, and dealing with problems promptly.

What I find tiresome is people (not you Mez) starting threads moaning about how boring the threads are. Stop bloomin' complaining and start a thread that you'd like to see, and that other people might like to join in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 14:07   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
is it because the moderators are too lenient
I for one would agree with that.
Old 30-06-2007, 14:22   #9

I think it's because when some people a re losing an argument they just resort to type.

Flamers and trollers will always be a part of the web and we would be niaive in the extreme to think that Accyweb would be without them.

Personally I think if they are found out then they should be banned for a fixed time (2 weeks or whatever the web agrees) then the period be lengthened for repeated offences.

I enjoy a good debate/argument but once it gets personal that's when you have lost.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 17:15   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

We have a local website here where I live, not a large posting membership but it's quite good none the less. About 2 years ago we got a new member who was witty and very quick with replies. Unfortunately, I discovered after a while, she tended to post late in the evening when she'd been hitting the bottle.

She got into a lot of arguments with other members but she also got very nasty and made some really terrible remarks which prompted others to follow her example. She was banned but she pleaded with Admin that she would reform and he let her back in. It didn't take her long to revert to type and she was worse than ever so she was banned again. Next she came in twice under different identities, it didn't take Admin long to sus her out. She's gone for good now and things are a lot better.

Because of this woman we got a completely impartial moderator who has nothing to do with our community and knows nobody on the site. He introduced a Warning Level system and he dishes it out to anyone who starts trouble - two warnings and you're out.

I don't understand Trolls or people can't argue without resorting to being vicious. I've seen it, occasionally, on Accyweb and I just don't know what enjoyment they get. I like a good argument, if it's constructive, but I can't stand nastiness and it's not necessary. In my view, those who resort to it lose the argument straight away.
Old 30-06-2007, 17:23   #11
Resident Waffler

I don't understand them either but I do understand the mods wanting to give people a chance to prove they can reform - then when they show that they can't to chuck them out.

Old 30-06-2007, 17:25   #12
God Member

I think this forums pretty toned down language-wise and there isn't too many overly heated debates going on that resort to personal attacks.

In fact this forums pretty quiet compared to others and the main active topics seem to be about accrington stanley, which i find quite boring so dont bother looking there.

People in Accy swear anyway, its not like we've never heard it before. I'm pretty sure theres always going to be disagreements down in the locals aswell when people get together. Isn't that just life?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 17:27   #13
Resident Waffler

It's often been said that AccyWeb is like a big family - and if the families I know are anything to go by the kids quite often have little spats and stamp their feet and storm off to their bedrooms in a huff.

Old 30-06-2007, 17:29   #14
Give, give, give member

I think Accy Web is more like a village, and we all meet at the duck pond in the middle for a natter.

Old 30-06-2007, 17:30   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think Accy Web is more like a village, and we all meet at the duck pond in the middle for a natter.

...and the stocks are purely for decoaration nowadays.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..