Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/)
-   -   Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/knights-tripe-shop-clayton-52298.html)

Steerforth 16-03-2010 19:55

Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton?

Hello Accy!

My name is David Procter, and I live eight miles north of Ensenada, Baja, Mexico, which is about sixty miles south of the border at San Ysidro/Tijuana (fifteen miles south of San Diego). I am a retired professor.

My maternal Great Grandmother was Adalaide Knight who ran a tripe shop on Whalley Road in Clayton le Moors from 1900 - 1949. Anybody remember? I actually got a brick from the old abandoned building in 1978 just before it was demolished to make room for a new motorway.

My mother's maiden name was "Bolton", and she is alive-and-well at age 89, living in Allentown, PA, with my sister Glenys, who is age 67 and is four years older than me.

My Dad, Richard Procter, served in the British Eighth Army during WW2 and was at Dunkirk and in North Africa. Unfortunately, he died in 1969. Also, my mother worked at Broadley's on munitions during the War.

I was born at Rough Lee. We lived on Queensborough Rd. for several years after the War, and then we moved to Moss Hall Road until 1954 when we emigrated to the U.S.

I attended St John's for a year, I think, and then Peel Park for a couple of years. I recall dreadful school dinners!

We still have relatives on my father's side living in Church and Lancaster. We had relatives living on Dill Hall Lane for a long time until the 1960s. Also, relatives named, "Hampson", on my mother's side, one of whom is an author and a former COE vicar.

Any connections or recollections?

Cheers!

David

katex 16-03-2010 20:31

Re: Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton?

Lovely introduction Steerforth, welcome. Will have to think about all your points. I loved the school dinners at Peel Park by the way ... :D

vera 16-03-2010 20:52

Hello and welcome

Bob Dobson 16-03-2010 20:59

I am left wondering why you changed from St John's to Peel Park. Are you confusing it with Hyndburn Park?. I bet Harry Place (aka Fluke)the St John's headmaster wasn't pleased, nor Mrs Thurman who taught at St John's and lived up Moss Hall Rd way.Another St John's teacher, Miss Riley, has just died. Peel Park is celebrating its centenary this year. You are an example of the old saying 'You can take a lad out of Accrington but you can't take Accrington out of a lad'

Steerforth 16-03-2010 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 797802)
I am left wondering why you changed from St John's to Peel Park. Are you confusing it with Hyndburn Park?. I bet Harry Place (aka Fluke)the St John's headmaster wasn't pleased, nor Mrs Thurman who taught at St John's and lived up Moss Hall Rd way.Another St John's teacher, Miss Riley, has just died. Peel Park is celebrating its centenary this year. You are an example of the old saying 'You can take a lad out of Accrington but you can't take Accrington out of a lad'

I'm not certain. I remember Mrs. Thurman fairly well, and I must have only been three or four. I guess it was nursery school, eh? I left England when I was seven.

Mrs. Thurman had (has) a lovely daughter, Freda, who was in the Mother's Union with my mother (Irene Bolton Procter). I had a boyhood crush on Freda, too. There is a photo of her in a chorus line with my mother somewhere in our family memorabelia.

I took the bus to St. John's and got into serious trouble one day for imitating the conductor who would get off the bus before it stopped.

There was also a teacher at St. John's called "Evelyn Bury". She and my mother became fairly close friends -even after we emigrated to the States. They carried on correspondence for many years, and we never knew what happened to her (of course, she died). Mrs. Bury marched with Bertrand Russell in the Ban the Bomb protests in the early 1950s.

Thanks for your warm reply! :)

cashman 16-03-2010 21:48

Welcome to the site, from n owd St.Johnser.:D

Steerforth 16-03-2010 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 797836)
Welcome to the site, from n owd St.Johnser.:D

I am thirteen months older. I cannot believe I am 63. :(

Thanks for your welcome! :)

BERNADETTE 16-03-2010 22:28

Hi welcome to accyweb:)

flashy 17-03-2010 05:33

welcome to Accyweb

jaysay 17-03-2010 08:52

Hello and welcome

LYNX1 17-03-2010 09:28

Hi welcome to Accyweb :D

Steerforth 17-03-2010 16:47

Thanks for all your warm welcomes!

Bacon butty and a cuppa anybody?

beechy 17-03-2010 17:59

greetings and welcome
still yet another old St John scholar,alive to tell the tales :egged:
quite a few Knights still live in and around Clayton
Vic Knight must be in his eighties and all his family

cashman 18-03-2010 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 798073)
greetings and welcome
still yet another old St John scholar,alive to tell the tales :egged:
quite a few Knights still live in and around Clayton
Vic Knight must be in his eighties and all his family

thats true, mate is one of em, lives sandy lane accy now.:);)

Steerforth 18-03-2010 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 798193)
thats true, mate is one of em, lives sandy lane accy now.:);)

I don't know of any Knight relatives living in and around Clayton, but I've been advised that if we go far enough back, there will be a connection somewhere.

Ta!