Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/)
-   -   Rivetlad's introduction (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/rivetlads-introduction-59040.html)

rivetlad 27-08-2011 22:02

Rivetlad's introduction

Hello folks,

My name is Alan McEwen and I have today logged on for the first time.

Well now you know my name, here follows a few details about what makes me tick.

I originate from the small village of Top O’ Hebers, Middleton, Lancashire. I am therefore, a proud Lancastrian, born and bred. However, since 1970, when I was sent as a Missionary by Providence to teach Tykes how to repair Lancashire mill boilers in Yorkshire woollen mills – I have lived just over the border into North Yorkshire; geographically, my home which I designed and built myself, World From Rough Stones House, is only five miles north east of Colne.

After serving a hard apprenticeship as a Boilermaker in Heywood, near Rochdale, in August 1968 I established my own Industrial Boiler Repair firm: H.A. McEwen (Boiler Repair) Ltd., which I am proud to relate, overtime became nationally renowned by both industrial and heritage fields – such as steam railways, traction engine owners, industrial museums, etc.

In late October 2007, after operating the firm as Managing Director and Chief Engineer, I resigned, handing over the reins to my son Alasdair, who then became the owner and manager of my dear old firm. I am proud to say the firm, which has many Lancashire clients, is still going strong after 43 years of trading.

In early January 2008, together with my beloved wife Christine, I started a brand new writing and publishing business. All my life I have been fascinated with many different aspects of British industrial history and in particular, the cotton mills of Lancashire, and the woollen industry of the old West Riding of Yorkshire, and it is a variety of Britain’s industrial history that is featured in the books that our firm, Sledgehammer Engineering Press Ltd write and publish.

Being a true-born Lancashire Lad, I could spout forever!

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2011 22:04

Re: Rivetlad's introduction

What a grand (gradely) introduction.
Welcome Rivetlad...enjoy accyweb....it is a great place.

heth 27-08-2011 22:08

Great intro!
Hello & Welcome! :D

cashman 27-08-2011 22:19

Welcome to my world.:D

walkinman221 27-08-2011 22:32

Welcome and you can always let off some steam on here:D
See what i did there steam ,boilers oh never mind. Welcome again and them tykes need all the educating they can get.:D

suedarbo 28-08-2011 08:18

Welcome to Accy web, that was a great introduction:D

flashy 28-08-2011 08:42

Brilliant introduction, welcome to accyweb, enjoy

jaysay 28-08-2011 09:39

Probably one of the best intros I've seen on here welcome and enjoy the site

rivetlad 28-08-2011 17:12

A Million Thanks To all for your Hearty Welcome.

Gremlin 28-08-2011 18:29

Welcome aboard Alan,
I wonder if our paths ever crossed, I was a millwright working for Jeremiah Jackson of Walsden and worked on many a mill engine and boiler fittings, setting up the boiler for the test etc.

You sound to have made success out of a dying trade and good on you.
Enjoy you part time retirement, no doubt your son will be calling on you for advice.

katex 28-08-2011 19:54

Warm welcome Rivetland.

Mancie 28-08-2011 20:11

Hello and welcome

Bob Dobson 29-08-2011 14:44

Welcome lad. I met you at a book or history event not long ago but didn't realise you were an Accrington lad. I have probably published my last book.On this site you will come across people letting off steam and the odd one blowing their top.

rivetlad 30-08-2011 21:45

Hello Again Bob, Nay I'm not from Accrington. See my Introduction.
Regards.

shillelagh 30-08-2011 23:39

welcome rivetlad ....