Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/)
-   -   Disabled newbie looking for help and advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/disabled-newbie-looking-for-help-and-advice-60597.html)

dwbmar48 05-02-2012 07:41

Disabled newbie looking for help and advice

Hello, my name is David - recently moved with my wife to Huncoat from Oldham. I am looking for somewhere (a shed or part of a garage) within about 100 metres of Honeysuckle Court where the owners would let me keep my mobility scooter. The scooter is only small but I have nowhere to park it safely and securely. I would pay a reasonable weekly rent for access 7 days a week. I would never use it before 9.00 am or after 7.00 pm (except maybe on long summer nights). Has anyone got any suggestions?
Also - when we lived in Oldham we sometimes used ring and ride services to get about. Is there anything similar locally we could use - for aged and disabled non-drivers. We have looked around but cannot find anything.

Fingers crossed!!

David B

mobertol 05-02-2012 08:04

Re: Disabled newbie looking for help and advice

Hi David -welcome to the forum. Hope someone can help you with answers to your questions:)

garinda 05-02-2012 08:07

Welcome David.

There is a local dial-a-ride service.

Hyndburn Dial-A-Ride

katex 05-02-2012 08:12

Welcome to Accyweb, David.

jaysay 05-02-2012 09:18

Welcome to the site David

cashman 05-02-2012 09:39

Welcome to the forum.:)

walkinman221 05-02-2012 13:07

Howdy david from another david

DaveinGermany 05-02-2012 13:32

And another, Hiya :D

dwbmar48 05-02-2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 968087)
Hi David -welcome to the forum. Hope someone can help you with answers to your questions:)

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the site.

davemac 05-02-2012 17:16

ow do and welcome

dwbmar48 07-02-2012 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 968088)
Welcome David.

There is a local dial-a-ride service.

Hyndburn Dial-A-Ride

Garinda - The number quoted in the link for Hyndburn Dial-A-Ride declares itself "not recognised". Same number comes up in web search. Do your contacts have anything more up to date? Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

MargaretR 07-02-2012 11:30

I am aware that the property you occupy is a block of flats and that you have parking places allocated.

Have you ruled out the possibilty of parking there and using a scooter cover?
Since it appears that you may be concerned about the potential for vandalism, I suggest you ask the landlord/leaseholder for permission to erect a small shed on the communal garden area.

dwbmar48 08-02-2012 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 968659)
I am aware that the property you occupy is a block of flats and that you have parking places allocated.

Have you ruled out the possibilty of parking there and using a scooter cover?
Since it appears that you may be concerned about the potential for vandalism, I suggest you ask the landlord/leaseholder for permission to erect a small shed on the communal garden area.

Thanks for responding Margaret. I am pretty sure that asking for a shelter to be built would be a complete NO as there are strict limitations as to what is allowed in the grassed area. My problem is in fact to do with the grassed area which gets too wet to even walk on.
I am looking at the possibility of getting a Motor cycle "shell" - but I thought I would try the "spare room" option first. Thanks anyway for your interest. Give me a wave if I scoot by you at some time (lol).

Michael1954 08-02-2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwbmar48 (Post 968658)
Garinda - The number quoted in the link for Hyndburn Dial-A-Ride declares itself "not recognised". Same number comes up in web search. Do your contacts have anything more up to date? Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

I have checked my Thompson Local. This number is listed in the 2009-2010 edition but not in 2011-2012, so it looks like the service has been discontinued. However, I spotted the following in the book, which might be able to advise you:

Disability Information Service (Hyndburn)
Nelson Street
BB5 2HQ

Age UK are also very helpful.

Regards
Michael

Michael1954 09-02-2012 05:05

You can find the numbers in the latest Thompson Local, but if you don't have one to hand, PM me and we will sort it out.