Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/)
-   -   New to forum, been investing in the town. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f65/new-to-forum-been-investing-in-the-town-63705.html)

westendlass 05-03-2013 13:41

Re: New to forum, been investing in the town.

Welcome to the forum.

US Angel 13-03-2013 01:55

welcome

Restless 13-03-2013 16:15

How come all the new members these days seem to be obsesseed with buildings and the restoration of them

Less 13-03-2013 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1046563)
How come all the new members these days seem to be obsesseed with buildings and the restoration of them

Not all of them are, some just bypass introduce yourself completely and advertise in Vietnamese.

Restless 13-03-2013 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1046571)
Not all of them are, some just bypass introduce yourself completely and advertise in Vietnamese.

and Mr Con Club comments on the thread too....... ooooo

GEaston 14-03-2013 01:25

Well I can only speak for myself when answering a question about why people are interested in renovating old buildings in the town.

For me I don't care a hoot about Accrington. My home town is further north, north of Newcastle. I do though care about the state that the UK has got itself in and I'd like to do something about that.

I am in a position to invest in the UK, and create jobs and employment to the UK. I've started 3 businesses in the last 6 years, one of which was in the UK and one of the most satisfying parts of taking an idea from in your head to global company is the employment and opportunity you can bring to people. I'm proud of having created over 100 man years of employment to Berwick (which last I looked is one of the few places even poorer than Accrington).

As to Accrington, as I said, I don't care if I do my part in this town or any number of other similarly deprived towns in the UK. You can't start a tech company in Accrington because it'll never scale, but the town does have a ton of cheap but quality buildings that need to be restored and simply doing that creates opportunities for skilled/semi skilled labour in the town. Both are good, both worthwhile I think.

Restless 14-03-2013 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEaston (Post 1046661)
Well I can only speak for myself when answering a question about why people are interested in renovating old buildings in the town.

Wasn't so much of a question of why people are interested in renovating old buildings... But more to the question of whether or not you are a "real" person

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1044901)
Accrington seems to be popular at the moment for old building renovation

Its like lancsdave says.... Though I saw sarcasm rather than starting the ball rolling for the "why" question, but seems like lancsdave knows too that there is a lot of nutters joining the forum lately(who knows lancsdave might think me a nutter and I wouldn't blame him ;) ) (this would be school children that hang around in old buildings)

So yeah. If you are a real person this post of mine is quite embarrassing(if you hang around long enough this is the norm and we have had crazies)..... Do you have company website online?

jaysay 14-03-2013 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEaston (Post 1046661)

For me I don't care a hoot about Accrington. My home town is further north, north of Newcastle. I do though care about the state that the UK has got itself in and I'd like to do something about that.

I am in a position to invest in the UK, and create jobs and employment to the UK. I've started 3 businesses in the last 6 years, one of which was in the UK and one of the most satisfying parts of taking an idea from in your head to global company is the employment and opportunity you can bring to people. I'm proud of having created over 100 man years of employment to Berwick (which last I looked is one of the few places even poorer than Accrington).

As to Accrington, as I said, I don't care if I do my part in this town or any number of other similarly deprived towns in the UK. You can't start a tech company in Accrington because it'll never scale, but the town does have a ton of cheap but quality buildings that need to be restored and simply doing that creates opportunities for skilled/semi skilled labour in the town. Both are good, both worthwhile I think.

Well I like the post, if you are a real person that is and not just another wind up merchant :rolleyes:

GEaston 14-03-2013 13:20

New to forum, been investing in the town.

This sure is the sceptics forum :-)

I am a real person. I founded the following companies:

http://www.travelshark.com. The company is 5 years old and is a pioneer in the field of algorithmic sentiment analysis. To you and me that means we have computers that read millions of hotel and restaurant reviews to sort that **** out so you don't have to. Loads of big companies interested in this and so far as I can tell we are unique in what we do. The video on the site explains it. Employs a lot of very very clever people, and me. This one is Singapore based so I am 8 hours ahead and usually not awake same time as everyone else.

http://www.ism.co.uk. Not involved since I sold it a couple of years go but I founded this company 6 years ago. This was the largest private employer in Berwick after the supermarkets. Made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot, lost a lot. Would not start a tech firm in the UK again.

http://www.thehuntguides.com. We produce city guides for 24 major cities worldwide. Also does bespoke book publishing. No plans for an Accrington guide :-). Could be a few decades before the place is worth visiting.

For the sake of clarity, I was given nothing, inherited nothing, and worked for the last 26 years. Yes I am we'll off (relative to most folk), but I'm damn sure I earned it. Had 1 week of holiday in the 5 years 2007-12. You don't start businesses in what turned out to be the worst recession in our lifetimes and get a holiday.... I have never drawn benefit of any kind from the govt, and have paid more than £1m in taxes over the years.

Can't start tech co in Accrington, but skilled unemployed labour seems to be around in abundance, as are empty buildings. I can use that, and intend to get more involved from around July. Need to speak to the council first to understand the ground rules, and this forum will be good for that because most here are local.

Any danger of someone answering my question about the Victorian arcade ? Would be nice to know.....

Less 14-03-2013 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEaston (Post 1046740)

I am a real person.

Any danger of someone answering my question about the Victorian arcade ? Would be nice to know.....

I feel sure you are a genuine person, people are cautious at the moment because we have had a few oddballs making belief in a new member a little difficult.
So far as your query about the Arcade, perhaps if you started a new Thread in a more Appropriate section you would get your answer?
Not all the members come into the intro threads.

GEaston 14-03-2013 14:05

New to forum, been investing in the town.

Thanks Less, I did. I posted the question in questions and answers a few days back.

Less 14-03-2013 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEaston (Post 1046752)
Thanks Less, I did. I posted the question in questions and answers a few days back.

Must admit thats one that passed me by, I'm sure that when she next comes on atara may be able to point you in the right direction.

susie123 14-03-2013 19:01

Quote:

The company is 5 years old and is a pioneer in the field of algorithmic sentiment analysis.

Did you make that description up?

Quote:

The HUNT Guides. We produce city guides for 24 major cities worldwide. Also does bespoke book publishing. No plans for an Accrington guide :-). Could be a few decades before the place is worth visiting.

Ah, so you're not the person who was on here the other day wanting advice on starting a website/tourist information portal all about Accrington.
Quote:

I'm not based in Accy these days but I'm sure if anything were happening on the Arcade front it would get posted on this site pretty quickly.

susie123 14-03-2013 19:05

Quote:

Yep sure is. I'm one of life's sceptics and as soon as I joined I knew I'd fit right in.:thumbsup:

Gordon Booth 14-03-2013 19:37

[QUOTE=GEaston;1046740]This sure is the sceptics forum :-)

I am a real person.

Travelshark - killer recommendations. The company is 5 years old and is a pioneer in the field of algorithmic sentiment analysis.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1046809)
Did you make that description up?

He didn't need to, susie. Didn't you look it up? I did but I'm not much wiser.

Good luck, GEaston. Can't help you 'cause I don't live in Accy now but hopefully you're bringing in a bit of something Accrington needs a lot of.