Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 21:11   #16
God Member

Re: Accrington Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKenyon View Post
Alternatively, a reporter is based at ASDA Accy every Friday between 9.30am and 11.30am and everyone is welcome to pop by and give them details of anything going on.

Lisa
So this is the new style journalism - sit at a desk for an hour or two and hope

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2009, 21:21   #17
Junior Member+

Hello Lilly
Regarding the spelling errors, there is no excuse. Part of this has been because of significant staff changes/redundancies. To put you in the picture we have a team of staff working on the Accrington and Rossendale papers as there is quite a bit of cross over. We have also had a number of management changes and obvious things like street names and areas have gone unnoticed.
We have also gone onto a new computer system which is causing no end of grief for everyone, putting even more pressure on the stretched resources.
Since relocating the office to Manchester (nobody is unaffected by the credit crunch) we have reporters out in Accrington every day, gathering local news and speaking to people in the various towns and villages.
The Manchester office is simply a base - mainly for the sub editors (who place the stories on pages and write headlines) and the big wigs. The reporters are out there grafting every day.
We do not work for the MEN, but we are part of the same group. As you are probably aware, we are part of the Greater Manchester Weekly Newspaper group (even though we're in Lancashire) and therefore the company as a whole does concentrate on Greater Manchester. Our team isn't really interested in what's going on in Manchester, we care about Hyndburn. But sometimes, the company bosses put their foot down and there's not much we can do. It has been a bit of a learning spike for everyone.
As for the 'Manchester bit in the middle', this has been another sore point of the staff covering the area. It's not local. We know that. We are currently in the process of changing that though and are working towards making it much better and much more local.
Just this evening, I have been out to review a local restaurant as we are replacing the more remote reviews with ones of local businesses in the near future.
We are also making a big push to get more local events mentioned in the paper - especially in the What's On section.
As for moving out of Accrington, I would love to move back to the Blackburn Road office. However, as mentioned above, it's a decision the company has taken - way above us lowly staff. We were (and are still) not happy about this but the business had to look at how it could survive the recession.
Feel free to get back to me if there's anything else.
LisaKenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 21:23   #18
Junior Member+

Hi Margaret,
We don't appear to be able to win. We are getting it in the neck for being based in Manchester, yet when we dedicate a certain time at a regular venue for people to come and see us face to face, we still cannot please people.
We are always available by phone, email, fax and in person.
What would you like to see us do?

Lisa
Old 03-09-2009, 21:27   #19
Junior Member+

I'm signing off for the evening, but will be back on tomorrow.

Night night.

Lisa
Old 03-09-2009, 21:30   #20

Hi lisa.....welcome to Accyweb......
Old 03-09-2009, 23:27   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKenyon View Post
Thanks everyone.
Garinda, it's nice to hear positive feedback every once in a while!
I realise there have been quite a few changes recently, but the staff work very hard to provide local news to the people of Accrington.
If anyone would like to let us know about anything going on in the area, they can call me on 0161 211 2955 or email [email protected]
Alternatively, a reporter is based at ASDA Accy every Friday between 9.30am and 11.30am and everyone is welcome to pop by and give them details of anything going on.

Lisa
I can call collect, right
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 23:34   #22
Senior Member+

Hi Lisa, many thanks to the Observer for going "on line" it,s great to be able to see what,s going on from this side of the Atlantic. Keep up the good work.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 23:53   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

welcome lisa ya got n hell of a job on yer hands, hope ya suceed. hope yer papers gonna really help the towns football club who are in dire straits at this moment.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:22   #24
Senior Member+

greetings and welcome

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 16:53   #25
Junior Member+

Hi and welcome lisa..i have pm'd you.
tooboddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 11:58   #26
Resting in Peace

One small thing that has angered me this week, is the lack of support for our local Accrington Theatre Group which was established in 1893. They are just about surviving and this recent show 'Boogie Nights' was dependant on bums on seats.

Seemingly, a crit of the show was sent to you on Monday, and I know you said if you had room would publish it. I do understand the fact that, due to your redundancies, cannot send reporters any more to local shows .. I'm sure you are saddened by this yourself.

I was annoyed though that there were articles on certain people who have had more than their fair share of coverage, who could have been sidelined for another week ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newbie | the new 1 »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..