Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 07:43   #1

Post Darby in Deepest Deutschland

Hello to all in Accy, Church, and Ossy.

Domiciled in Deepest Germany, Sachsen to be exact.

Been in Germany for 17 years almost, but brought-up in Church and around the Antley area of Accy.  Use to go to Accy Tech (Union Road, Ossy - long, long time ago), but left Accy in 1959 to start a world tour in the Navy.

Came back in '64, and worked in Clayton-le-Moors, until I skipped again in '69.  Lived all over the UK, Gibraltar, Spain, and Germany.

Still a Stanley fan, and a Church CC supporter.

Married (Accy lass), 2 grown-up sons, and 2 grandchildren (Scotland).

Unfortunately I am unlikely to come to live in Accy again.  It's not the Accy I left...just seems worse.  The only good thing about Accy is it's people.  They don't seem to have changed much, and are still the "salt of the earth".

Still working (the drinking man's curse), but hoping to retire in a couple of years.

Will be back in Accy for Xmas (at the outlaws).  [smiley=cheers.gif] [smiley=cheers.gif]
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17   #2
adi

Post Re: Darby in Deepest Deutschland

Hi Darby

Glad to see you have found the site.

Hopefully you have a good laugh on here.
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:22   #3
God Member

Hello Derby,

Where abouts in Church where you brought up? Nice to see you on here, anyway. ;D
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:23   #4
God Member

Ooops...Sorry about the spelling, Darby!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:47   #5
Senior Member+

Hi Darby. Welcome to accy web. [smiley=ello.gif]
Old 11-12-2003, 09:11   #6

[quote author=Tealeaf link=board=new;num=1070963019;start=0#2 date=12/09/03 at 13:22:36]Hello Derby,

Where abouts in Church where you brought up? Nice to see you on here, anyway. ;D[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome.

I use to live on Oswald Street, then Henry Street. Went to Ernest St., Baptists (first school), then to Church Kirk (St. James). We moved to India Street and I went to St. Andrews (Junior School), and then Ossy Tech.

Use to play down the Tanpits and remember the lodge that use to be attached to the old factory that had been pulled down. I can still remember the trams that terminated at Church Commercial and then went back to Blackburn.

Makes me old 'dun 'it

I can even remember the blacksmith at the tanpits.

Still got lots of mates & friends in Accy, Ossy and Church...plus the "[s]outlaws[/s]in-laws."

Not what it use to be..but there are still some good 'uns there.

Thanks also Janet, Hope this site is fun too.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:31   #7

Hi,i was born on bradshaw street then moved to barnes street before the war, 1946 we moved to henry street.We owned the chip shop at the bottom of willows lane until 1990.We then lived in dill hall lane until we came to live in Canada.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 13:06   #8
Senior Member+

George, did you have the chippy in the early eighties if you did it was a good un. ;D
Old 11-12-2003, 19:34   #9
Accy Goddess

[smiley=wave.gif] Hi Darby.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 21:25   #10

Hi Janet.Yes we had the chippy until we retired 1990.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:21   #11
Resting in Peace

Hi Darby
I hope you like the site.
i live in INDIA ST
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:51   #12

Mick, I feel sorry for you...living in India Street (only joking).

I lived at No. 31 next to the selling-out shop.  Played for hours on the Triangle and Nelson Square.  Last time I walked down India Street, I saw ghosts in every doorway...memories of a distant past.

I occasionally see some of its ex-residents whilst I'm over in Accy.  Still miss the place after nearly 40 years of living all over the place.  Funny isn't it?
Old 12-12-2003, 06:59   #13

;D hi welcomr to accy web
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 17:32   #14
Junior Member+

I was over in Deutschland last week. Not 'deepest' just over t' border in the Rheinland. I know what you mean about the difference between Accrington or Darwen with Rudesheim and Cocham. We did the Eifel Rally in August. Based in Daun. Everyone was friendly and the spectators made is really feel welcome.
I'd have no problem living over there ( except being able to afford to move of course) but my heart will always be in Accy.
MikeWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2003, 13:44   #15
mez
God Member

hi darby, i used to live in oswald st, church in the fifties,  my last name is clarkson, i have an older brother & one younger than me , that is my maiden name , do you remember billy fenton, the mcgouchlin brothers, mavis& kieth livesey, barbara & anne johnson, sandra long, if so you may remember me & my brother bernard we used to play on t tampits to  well good luck & this is a brill & friendly site  not been on long myself  c/y   [smiley=bye2.gif]from mary

« Intro | Hello all »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..