Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2008, 13:18   #1

George Foster?

Hi

I grew up in Accrington/Oswaldtwistle and went to Hannah St Infants, Spring Hill Juniors, (hated it) St Pauls Oswaldtwistle and then Rhyddings (left 1976) After which I vowed never to set foot in a school again. Somewhere along the way I changed my mind, qualified as a teach and again vowed never to set foot in a school again.
I now live in Blackburn and run my own tuition centre and a small community newspaper.
I have two grown up sons, a marvelous husband and have never been happier.

However I have never known much ab out my father side of the family and would like to learn more even if it is not what I want to hear.

My paternal grandfather was called George Foster and lived on Dale St (now demolished). He seems to have been 'missing in action' in 1916 when he was in the Royal Feet Auxillary.. Is anyone here related to him? I know he had about four children, my father - also George - Albert. Alfred and Eadie.

I have a rare inherited blood condition and would particulary know where my grandad was from originally.

Any info would be much apreceiated.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2008, 15:09   #2
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Re: George Foster?

Hi Welcome to the site, cannot help you in your quest but I'm sure someone will be able to do.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 16:34   #3

hello, welcome to accyweb. hope someone helps you find out about your fathers side of the family.
Old 15-01-2008, 17:09   #4
Senior Member+

A few days ago at the Thwaites Empire theatre I met a lady and we talked about her newspaper. I am expecting a call from her. When she calls, I hope to have some information about the Fosters, because I think I know Alf Foster's daughter. An Alf Foster had a chipshop in Persia Street.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 18:40   #5

Hello & Welcome to Accy Web!
Old 15-01-2008, 18:52   #6
God Member

Hello and welcome to accyweb, newish to town so don't know many family histories.
Old 15-01-2008, 19:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A few days ago at the Thwaites Empire theatre I met a lady and we talked about her newspaper. I am expecting a call from her. When she calls, I hope to have some information about the Fosters, because I think I know Alf Foster's daughter. An Alf Foster had a chipshop in Persia Street.

Hi Bob

It is me that you met at Thwaites Theatre. I was intending calling you on Thursday evening, hope that is ok.

I think I may have got my fathers brothers names wrong, on reflection I think the eldest was Harold, the other was either Albert or Alfred, not sure which. I seem to think one of them lived up Stanley St Way, no idea what they did for a living though
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 19:25   #8

Hi and welcome to accyweb!

James1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 20:13   #9
God Member

Hello and welcome to the site.
Old 15-01-2008, 22:07   #10
God Member

Hello and welcome.
Old 15-01-2008, 22:10   #11
Senior Member+

I have checked and learned that the chipshopchap was harold, and it looks unlikely that he is from your family.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 23:45   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hi polly welcome,hope you suceed in yer quest.
Old 16-01-2008, 02:05   #13
Resting in Peace

Hi and welcome to our mad world of Accyweb and good luck with the hunt for information
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 02:17   #14
God Member

Where and when (years) was the chip shop on Persia St ?, just curious because I had in-laws who lived on that street and only remember it as terraced houses , can't remember any 'shop fronts'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 06:46   #15
Senior Member+

greetings and welcome to the web

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..