Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2020, 12:19   #1

greetings

Hi Everyone, my names Mark, i used to live in Accrington from the early 70s to 1987, first lived on whalley rd then willows lane, moved to Rothwell mill farm (accrington riding center) off miller fold avenue, in the late 70s to 1987 on the edge of Preistly clough, also attended Hollins High school.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2020, 14:01   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: greetings

hi welcome to the forum.
Old 20-12-2020, 18:33   #3

Hello and welcome, where do you live, work, survive, now a days.
Yours, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 20:10   #4

Hi Manning, greetings from Montreal, Canada, left England in 1974 but lived up Springhill so know the area were you lived well,
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 10:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Hi Manning, greetings from Montreal, Canada, left England in 1974 but lived up Springhill so know the area were you lived well,
Hello Joaner, is/was your mothers name Pat by any chance, My wife Hazel, maiden name Pickup, seems to remember a lass who lived in spring hill around the time you mentioned, that married and moved to Canada.
Yours Taddy.
Old 28-12-2020, 16:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hello Joaner, is/was your mothers name Pat by any chance, My wife Hazel, maiden name Pickup, seems to remember a lass who lived in spring hill around the time you mentioned, that married and moved to Canada.
Yours Taddy.
Hi Taddy,

my mum's name was Edith and we lived off Richmond Road.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 17:04   #7

[QUOTE=joaner3;1248442]Hi Taddy,

my mum's name was Edith and we lived off Richmond Road.

Hiya Joaner, Hazel was born in 1949 in Spring Hill Road, Moved to Spring Street and then Richmond Road, where at 18 years of age she married me, a 20 year old motorbike Rocker from the untamed village of Huncoat. Best thing I ever did, thanks to her we are still together and will celebrate our 54 wedding anniversery next March.
Unfortunatley ,(I dont think that is spelt right), she does not recall you or your mum but it does not matter, keep in touch via the Accy Web; all the best to you and your's,
Taddy, The Lancashire Luddite.
Old 05-01-2021, 18:19   #8

welcome
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 23:02   #9

First of all Taddy, congratulations to you and Hazel for your many years together. Here's to many more. Also good thinking on your part for choosing the right girl, and on Hazel's part for saying 'yes'. Sounds like it is a very happy union.

Now, here's a bit of trivia for you. My husband was living in Spring Street (No. 11) when I first met him. That was in 1956. His granddad had previous to that date had a fish and chip shop at No. 1. Number 1 was owned by several people after that and eventually was returned to its original use, that of a house. It is now owned and occupied by my husband’s cousin and his wife – how’s that for having gone a full circle as it were.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:57   #10

Hi Dotti, Many thanks for the bit of trivia as you called it, Hazel tells me that her Grandparents,Ann and Henry Cunliffe used to live at, she thinks either 6 or 7 Spring Street about the same time period as as your husband. She also remembers the chip shop that you mention, Saying that they used to sell the best "John Bulls" that she has ever tasted, Two slices of Potato with a meat filling, ( all Greek to me).
Old 16-02-2021, 16:07   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

dotti ask yer hubby if he knew Dave Ford please he lived on Spring St way back in the mists of time? he was a good mate i worked with. cant remember what number but hes long gone sadly, he was a wood machinist like me in those days.
Old 16-02-2021, 21:54   #12

Sadly, Cashie, Keith passed away two years ago (February 24th 2019). He lived In Spring Street in the 1950’s (we emigrated to Australia end of 1957) but I don’t remember him ever mentioning a Dave Ford. I will ask his brothers though when I next speak to them. I am in regular contact with Jean who lived at No 1 at that time and into the 60’s (she also lives in Australia) and will ask her also.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 17:07   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
First of all Taddy, congratulations to you and Hazel for your many years together. Here's to many more. Also good thinking on your part for choosing the right girl, and on Hazel's part for saying 'yes'. Sounds like it is a very happy union.

Now, here's a bit of trivia for you. My husband was living in Spring Street (No. 11) when I first met him. That was in 1956. His granddad had previous to that date had a fish and chip shop at No. 1. Number 1 was owned by several people after that and eventually was returned to its original use, that of a house. It is now owned and occupied by my husband’s cousin and his wife – how’s that for having gone a full circle as it were.
Hi Dotti, a bit more trivia. I lived in the greengrocers at the bottom of Eddleston St. from about 1958 to 1966. At that time I think the chip shop was owned by a lovely Polish(?) couple called Baylow (?)
Luckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..