Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2015, 19:18   #1

Hello

Hello, I've just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me with some research. I was in Accrington recently and by chance happened to come across the Victorian Arcade (I understand it used to be called the Post Office Arcade) on Warner Street. There is a retail unit with the word 'Duxbury' above it and I am very interested in finding out more about this as Duxbury is my maiden name. I know the current owners of the shop have nothing to do with this sign and they inform me that "it has always been there". If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks
LancsLass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2015, 21:41   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:50   #3
Senior Member+

My 1952 directory tells that John H Duxbury was an optician in the Arcade. His home address is not given. Other Duxburys lived at 2 Carter St, 27 Granville Rd, 1 Russia St, 3 Swiss St, 244 Burnley Rd, 2 Wordsworth Rd, 41 Eagle St, and 23 Turkey St,

Go onto the website of the Lancashire Family History Society It allows you to find out and email their members who are researching the surname. One of them, Tony Foster, appears regularly, every Thursday afternoon (?) in the society's library/work room in the Straits, Ossie. Worth joining. They meet in Accrington & Clitheroe
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53   #4
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancsLass09 View Post
Hello, I've just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me with some research. I was in Accrington recently and by chance happened to come across the Victorian Arcade (I understand it used to be called the Post Office Arcade) on Warner Street. There is a retail unit with the word 'Duxbury' above it and I am very interested in finding out more about this as Duxbury is my maiden name. I know the current owners of the shop have nothing to do with this sign and they inform me that "it has always been there". If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum......the shop with Duxbury over it used to be an opticians.
J.H.Duxbury.......which was my dad's name.
I too am a Duxbury by birth.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 15:30   #5
Senior Member+

A Walt Duxbury lived 27 Persia St when I was a lad. He was a plumber and very keen fisherman but very fat. His wife left him for a slimmer chap. I cannot remember her name.
Old 06-01-2015, 16:37   #6
Senior Member+

Ow do, and welcome.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 17:47   #7
Full Member+

welcome to our group
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 21:28   #8
Senior Member+

Lancslass - if you ( or Margaret Pilk) find that you are descended from a wealthy family in Duxbury, Chorley, message me your email address and I will send you details of a book on the family in my stock.
Old 07-01-2015, 16:47   #9

Hi and welcome
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:05   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
Hi and welcome

Headline in the Telegraph tonight - Mallard Welcomes Dux

Tags
accrinton, duxbury, victorian arcade

« Hello | G'day! »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..