Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2005, 19:22   #1
God Member

Hello

Some of you will be aware that I have been viewing this website for the past few weeks. I have shied clear of coming on in person because I did not want to antagonise some of you anymore. However, it would appear that I have become the public face of the Panopticon project within Hyndburn whether I like it or not and therefore, I am getting the majority of the flak for it. I can’t help but take this personally because some of you have made it personal.

So, I’m here and I’m willing to answer any question about the Panopticon project. I will answer any question as truthfully as I have the knowledge to do so, if I don’t know the answer I will tell you that I don’t know the answer. I will not answer any postings that I consider to be abusive or irrelevant. I am a resident of Hyndburn and thus entitled to have an opinion on this subject. I must stress that any opinions that I express are mine and mine alone, they are not necessarily the views of any other member of any organisation which I am involved with. As I am also closely related to this project I am in a unique position.

I understand that art is very subjective and it is everyone’s prerogative to like or dislike any individual pieces of art – there are some artworks that I don’t like but that doesn’t mean they are bad. There are two issues at stake here 1) the rationale behind the project in the first place and 2) the aesthetics of the design. Let’s not get these confused because they are two very, very separate things. It is possible to appreciate the rationale behind the project without liking the design – if that’s the case then let’s work together to get a design that the majority would be happy with. If you don’t understand or know the rationale behind the project I will happily answer any questions for you.

I will return on Monday evening to post answers. If you send me a private message I will reply by private message. If you post your question within the thread I will answer within the thread. I do not want to inflame the situation any more than it already is I simply want to open a discussion that will ensure that you have all the facts. I also want to put some people straight on some things that have been said about me.

So first of all let me get a few things off my chest and bust a few myths that have been posted about me personally over the last few weeks;

1. I do not hold any power whatsoever, I am a press officer. That means that I have to make sure that the media hear about anything that is happening.

2. I will not receive any bonus when the Panopticon is built. Salaries paid in the Arts are very low, compared to industry.

3. Slightly off track but whilst I’m busting myths, the Vagina Monologues did not cost anyone to put on. I was given the rights free by the author, everyone in it gave their time free of charge, I paid £30 to hire James St Club and posters cost £42. We made £420 in ticket sales and after deducting the £72 that I had spent I gave the rest to The Women’s Centre on Abbey St.

4. Finally, and again off subject a little – Mid Pennine Arts would never advocate graffiti. We spend a lot of our time on education programmes and out of school activities to keep the kids off the street.

I hope you take my presence here as a good thing, and treat it in the manner in which it is intended, as an open and honest attempt to talk. As a resident of Hyndburn I too want the best for our town.

I look forward to reading your postings and joining you again on Monday evening.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2005, 20:03   #2

Re: Hello

Hi and welcome to Accyweb.........i live in colne so haven't a clue what you are on about but i am sure some folks on here do!
Have fun

Jason

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 20:17   #3
Member.

Hello and welcome to the site Gayle. Politics aside I look forward to your input. Enjoy.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 20:36   #4
Senior Member+

Hello Gayle, i hope you know what you have let yourself in for. lol
Old 26-03-2005, 20:36   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Hi and welcome to Accyweb.........i live in colne so haven't a clue what you are on about but i am sure some folks on here do!
Have fun

Jason

I live in Harwood so neither do i but still welcome to the site (I think )
Old 26-03-2005, 22:37   #6
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs down Re: Hello

"Some of you will be aware that I have been viewing this website for the past few weeks."

If that is the case, and as a press officer, you should be aware of the protocol regarding message boards and in particular "Introduction threads!"

I will open a thread on your behalf in the "General chat" and I am sure that members will use this to ask you questions!
Old 26-03-2005, 22:43   #7
Resident Waffler

Welcome to AccyWeb Gayle. We will gladly discuss matters with you in the appropriate forum.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...7&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 26-03-2005 at 22:55.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 00:07   #8
Senior Member+

Hi and welcome to accyweb
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 12:38   #9
Senior Member+

Welcome to Accy web, hope you enjoy

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 09:12   #10
Give, give, give member

Hi and welcome.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 10:00   #11
Senior Member+

Hello and welcome Gayle.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:23   #12
I am Banned

Hi n welcome tho dont have a clue what u are on about tho im sure we'll fire away any sugs to making the town better!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 13:27   #13
Full Member+

Hi Listus, so you`ve found your way here finally !!
Old 28-03-2005, 15:20   #14

Hello Gayle,welcome to Accy web, don't be shy

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 21:13   #15
God Member

Hello Gayle, welcome to the site?
grego is offline   Reply With Quote

« hi | hello people!! »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..